Illinois Hoops Recruiting Thread (January-March 2017)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lots of tweeting and comradery between our 4 signees. It will be a shame if we don't see them in orange and blue next season.

And no, I am not advocating for our coach.

https://twitter.com/_trentfrazier1/status/831671301412679683

The four are signed. Yes, they can apply to leave if we change coaches, but the university can stipulate that they have to sit down with the new coach first. If we hire the right guy, he should be able to convince them to stay, especially the three from Illinois. Also, we can restrict them from going to certain schools if we want to. Not sure I agree with that, but we could keep Tilmon from going to Iowa or Indiana, for example.

I hope it doesn't come to that and that they buy into the school and the new coach.

The four are signed. Yes, they can apply to leave if we change coaches, but the university can stipulate that they have to sit down with the new coach first.

It's more of a courtesy request than anything else, give the new coach a chance.

Also, we can restrict them from going to certain schools if we want to. Not sure I agree with that, but we could keep Tilmon from going to Iowa or Indiana, for example.

In very poor taste and very few schools do that, more for transfers than recruits. I hope Illinois will never do that under any circumstances.

BananaShampoo

Captain 'Paign
Phoenix, AZ
It's more of a courtesy request than anything else, give the new coach a chance.

In very poor taste and very few schools do that, more for transfers than recruits. I hope Illinois will never do that under any circumstances.

Yeah, JW is too classy a guy to let that happen under his watch.

Oh, I agree.

I want so badly for this class to stay together, and I'm sure JW feels the same way. The new coach will doubtless have a chance to re-recruit our signees, but if they don't click or whatever, I would be amazed if Illinois pulled any serious shenanigans on the players. Would be terrible PR.

I want so badly for this class to stay together, and I'm sure JW feels the same way. The new coach will doubtless have a chance to re-recruit our signees, but if they don't click or whatever, I would be amazed if Illinois pulled any serious shenanigans on the players. Would be terrible PR.

We ran Michael Orris off.:)

Derek Piper‏ @DPiperScout
6-foot-7 JUCO forward. 9 double-doubles on the season. #Illini

JucoRecruiting.com‏ @JucoRecruiting
Illinois HC John Groce & assistant will be at Hutchinson tonight to see F Shakur Juiston

Jeremy Werner Retweeted

17m
Joe Henricksen‏ @joehoopsreport
Coach Shaka Smart and the Texas #Longhorns offer Edwardsville's red-hot Mark Smith, now a top 100 player nationally.

Jeremy Werner Retweeted

17m
Joe Henricksen‏ @joehoopsreport
Coach Shaka Smart and the Texas #Longhorns offer Edwardsville's red-hot Mark Smith, now a top 100 player nationally.

Shaka sure hasn't done much at Texas

ILL in IA

Iowa City
Lon beats Bill for a 5 star kid
Have a buddy who is a prof at OU and his wife teaches at the high school this kid goes to. Said he has sat next to Lon several times at this kids games. Has said sever times how cool Lon has been at these games.

Thad Matta & Ohio State were in Edwardsville to see Smith pick another Big 10 offer ...

Thanks Hooping, but I'd rather not know that. I'd prefer to just think his visit with Tilmon went well, and we're all just pleasantly biding time until he commits here.

Thad won't be the buckeyes coach next year

Archie smoke? Very interesting considering how OSU, IU, and our own Illini have all offered Mark Smith; yet, they may all have coaching changes.

I would love to know how that's perceived by Smith, and our other recruits.

HC Illini

HC Illini
Archie smoke? Very interesting considering how OSU, IU, and our own Illini have all offered Mark Smith; yet, they may all have coaching changes.

I would love to know how that's perceived by Smith, and our other recruits.

Don't forget Cal!

mhuml32

Cincinnati, OH
The closer we get to change and the more anxiety felt by the fanbase, the greater propensity for "insiders" to appear on this board.

Jkat00

Champaign, IL
The closer we get to change and the more anxiety felt by the fanbase, the greater propensity for "insiders" to appear on this board.

+1. Whitman is also very private. No news will probably be good news.

Just a random observation, but has anyone noticed how many players on SMU were recruited by Illinois? They've got Semi Ojeleye (recruited as a transfer from Duke), Shake Milton, Ben Moore, Sterling Brown, and Jimmy Whitt (sitting out this year after transfering). They also had Harry Froling, who left the program earlier this year. That's not even mentioning Nic Moore, who graduated last year. It's like an alternate reality version of our team. I can't help but feel like Nic Moore, Ben Moore, Brown, and maybe Milton would have come if we'd pushed hard.

Milton would have been great on our team, I do like Lucas so far however, he gots some swagger to him. The ILLINI have been missing a player that BELIEVES he is as good or better than others!

Status
Not open for further replies.