Illinois Hoops Recruiting Thread (July 2018)

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's amazing how many people don't realize that Ward speaks in Davinci code. For example, I translate his post to mean: Be sure to drink your ovaltine.

Why do they call it Ovaltine? The mug is round. The jar is round. They should call it round tine.

Kai Jones' ascension continues

Jones is physically gifted. Standing 6-foot-10, he’s equipped with a massive wingspan, elite leaping ability and impressive mobility. But the skills are starting to show, which is why Jones said he’s not surprised by the attention, because he’s been putting the time in, in the gym.

“I put in hours of work waking up at 4:45 every morning from October until now working on my game, working with my trainer, getting in the weight room, lifting weights, drinking protein shakes every day,” Jones said. “Trying to get better every single day so I definitely knew this day was coming.”

https://247sports.com/college/basketball/recruiting/Article/Kai-Jones-ascension-continues-119836153/

sacraig

The desert
It's amazing how many years in a row this has been the message, delivered and consumed with absolute certainty. Since 2008, minimum. Hope springs eternal.

For many years it is has been true that we are seemingly in a good place. Then we fail to close the deal and the rest is history.

For many years it is has been true that we are seemingly in a good place. Then we fail to close the deal and the rest is history.

Isn't this really where most programs are? I think we've overstated being just one or two pieces away, but we've come very close to that.

I don't follow teams close enough, but I would wager teams like Wake, Vandy, Oklahoma, etc. are always one or two pieces away from fielding good NCAAT teams.

We are more the norm than the outlier.

Walker shows upside and talks offers

One player who used the first July evaluation period to raise his stock was Anthony Walker. The class of 2019 power forward from Baltimore showed off a good combination of size, athleticism, and skill to lead Team BBC to a solid showing. Now the 6-foot-8 forward is adding interest, and continuing to assert himself as someone who will be a no-brainer high-major priority target.

"As a team we are playing well," said Walker about the start to his July. "Individually I am trying to be a leader, and I think we will be good these last two live periods."

He continued, "I have been focused on my ball handling and jump shooting. I have to be more consistent with my handle and my shot, and try to be ready for the next level."

https://247sports.com/college/baske...et-Finale-and-talks-his-top-offers-119843029/

UIHoopsRecruits Retweeted Balsa‏ @balsa_koprivica 14m14 minutes ago

Earned an offer from Illinois
2755.png
1f536.png
1f537.png
pic.twitter.com/xYe6LEHSVn

sacraig

The desert
Isn't this really where most programs are? I think we've overstated being just one or two pieces away, but we've come very close to that.

I don't follow teams close enough, but I would wager teams like Wake, Vandy, Oklahoma, etc. are always one or two pieces away from fielding good NCAAT teams.

We are more the norm than the outlier.

I wouldn't argue with you here. All I am saying is that the people who do this are technically correct, even if the status of "one or two recruits away" is meaningless. Any college team that lands the next Derrick Rose is an instant contender, for example.

It's amazing how many years in a row this has been the message, delivered and consumed with absolute certainty. Since 2008, minimum. Hope springs eternal.

Last year was pretty darn good despite some early misses and issues finding bigs. To be fair, the big misses have come when Ward makes his early proclamations like that one.

The bball equivalent to Patterson in STL would be Corey Frazier. He has been a long time coach of the STL Eagles/Brad Beal Elite. Also is a trainer for Pure Sweat. Has worked with guys like Beal and Tatum. He would be a huge hire for STL

How about three pieces away Liddell, Cockburn, and Whitney? Would be a fair recruiting class to go with Trent, Ayo, etc.

Joel Goodson

respect my decision™
2019 Anthony Walker has been tearing it up. Looks like a very good plan B, should Liddell spurn us. HS teammate of Higgs.

How about three pieces away Liddell, Cockburn, and Whitney? Would be a fair recruiting class to go with Trent, Ayo, etc.
It would be a "fair" class? How long has it been since we've gotten three Top-50 recruits in the same year?

I watched Timme play at the AAU event in Dallas and just wasnt that impressed by him. He also didnt seem to hustle up & down the court.

Status
Not open for further replies.