Illinois Hoops Recruiting Thread (July 2018)

Status
Not open for further replies.
As of right now. He's taking an OV to OSU in the fall.

North Carolina and Duke are getting involved from what I hear.

I hate to see the rich get richer, but better if it's UNC or Duke, and not tOSU - simply from the standpoint of not having to play them.

Deleted member 654622

D
Do we have any shot at EJ? If we can't land him, that will go down as my most disappointing recruiting miss, especially after Francis dissed us for the west coast.

So...to make it a measurable.....on a scale of 1 to 10, likelihood we get EJ?

I'll work backwards here.

If OSU is a 4
& "blue bloods" are a 3
that leaves 3 for IL Mizzery and Kansas.....

Keep talking to him, but focus on Whitney

I hate to see the rich get richer, but better if it's UNC or Duke, and not tOSU - simply from the standpoint of not having to play them.

I've never subscribed to this competitive approach. Although I hate losing homegrown players to anyone I've always felt what's best for the B10 is ultimately what's best for Illinois.

OSU Official Visit for Liddell set for August 31 - September 2nd.

I think it ends up being Liddell to The Ohio State...Whitney to ILLINI, Trayce Jackson to Michigan State/Indiana, this also leaves us with the ability to get Timme and Shannon to go with our experienced guards...Those would all be phenomenal adds to our existing athletes.

Either way the B1G will be loaded for many years to come with some highly competitive play from wings.

I think it ends up being Liddell to The Ohio State...Whitney to ILLINI, Trayce Jackson to Michigan State/Indiana, this also leaves us with the ability to get Timme and Shannon to go with our experienced guards...Those would all be phenomenal adds to our existing athletes.

Either way the B1G will be loaded for many years to come with some highly competitive play from wings.

I’d trade Whitney for Liddell if I had to. No brainer if the consolation prize is Timme (along with Whitney).

CBU comparing notes with Painter and Pitino,Jr. :D

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-07-13 at 8.49.48 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-07-13 at 8.49.48 AM.png
    875.5 KB · Views: 992

Dan

Admin
Illini recruiting top-50 Canadian wing Quincy Guerrier
https://twitter.com/DPiper247/status/1017763631130468352

Big crowd for @D1Minnesota & @brookwoodelite - Bill Self, Bob Huggins, Bruce Pearl, Chris Mack, Richard Pitino, Ed Cooley, Jerod Haase, Scott Drew, & Brad Underwood among others.
https://twitter.com/AdamFinkelstein/status/1017762419286921216

Duke continues its new pursuit of ESPN 100 forward E.J. Liddell today. Mike Krzyzewski and two assistants watching him.

Assistants from Illinois, Missouri, Kansas State, others also present. #PeachJam

https://twitter.com/jeffborzello/status/1017787534938705927

Illini assistant Chin Coleman is spotted up to see EJ Liddell & Brad Beal Elite. Coach K is here to see him again as well.

Chin is also going to see top-50 2020 guard & Chicago native Nimari Burnett on Team WhyNot in this matchup.

https://twitter.com/DPiper247/status/1017776763710124032

Deleted member 17900

D
Duke being all over EJ has to help us with Whitney.

Duke being all over EJ has to help us with Whitney.

Totally different players and I have watched both. EJ Liddell is a PF (4) while Whitney will be a SF (3) at the college level.

I have said in other posts that the last few years in Illinois, there have been many good players, but only 3 that I have watched who differentiated themselves early in their career (way before senior year) as potential difference makers in college: Brunson, Liddell, and Adam Miller.

TownieMatt

CU Expat
Chicago
I have said in other posts that the last few years in Illinois, there have been many good players, but only 3 that I have watched who differentiated themselves early in their career (way before senior year) as potential difference makers in college: Brunson, Liddell, and Adam Miller.

I'd go along with that. Ayo was very good as a Junior once Charlie Moore left, but in terms of evaluating them as college prospects, the three you list are probably a step ahead as Soph/Juniors. Whitney was turning plenty of heads at Solorio as a Freshman, but he was on a crumby team and obviously left the state after that season. Had he stayed, he'd be at the top of that list.

Liddell is intriguing because he doesn't fit the mold that Duke or other blue bloods typically look for in a 4. He's undersized at 6'6" and doesn't have a consistent, knock-down, shot. That being said, his rim-protection for someone that size is unreal, he cleans the glass (on both ends), and attacks the rim viciously. Really the only knock on him as a college 4 is his size, but if you watch him play to realize he easily makes up for it by getting off the floor so quick. He's by far the best 6'6" shot-blocker as a HS player that I've ever seen.

It's going to be interesting to see if the blue bloods get over their preconceived notions of what an elite 4 should look like and recognize how good he is. For our sake, I hope they don't.

...Dontaie Allen's effortless scoring

Word out of Kentucky this spring was about Allen and how much better he has become. All of that and more was evident on Thursday as the 6-foot-6 wing put together one of the better scoring days that I’ve seen all summer long. Did his box score reflect his true impact? Not entirely, but his ability to score off of every angle and spot on the floor was second to none. His recruitment is just beginning to pick up but after his time in Atlanta, worrying about quality options won’t be much of an issue for Allen

https://basketballrecruiting.rivals.com/news/what-i-liked-corey-evans-from-under-armour-finale

This article also talks about Kai Jones and Precious Achiuwa who we are also recruiting.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.