Illinois Hoops Recruiting Thread (July 2018)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I thought Whitney and Shannon are on the same si team?? MIF?? Do they play on the court together? Or is it more about projection in college?

sacraig

The desert
IL fanbase: "We need to get the big boy recruits so we can go deep into the tourney!"

Also IL fanbase: "We can't beat out the big boy recruits so why even try!?"

giphy.gif

You may not be, but I am very confident that we have done more than 'filling a scholarship'.

I hope so, but again the bar of just filling the scholarship (or in our case 9 scholarships) needs to be much higher and part of that is keeping them as well. Last year at this time 90% of this site thought Mark Smith was going to be big10 freshman of the year, the other 10% thought it would be Trent or Damonte and our biggest worry would be hoping they didn't all declare for the draft. Given the timing & what was left, I think we did very well both this year and last year late in the process. But let's get to next year, find we are keeping at least 2 of the 3 freshman bigs, not replacing 1/2 of our roster, and not waiting until spring so we don't have the we did great for "Spring" modifier added to the class.

The Illini advantages:

1. Ayo
2. Ayo's Mom
3. Chin
4. The Irvins ?
5. He gets to claim he was worthy of Blue Blood offers, but chose to go to Illinois

A real life test of the Irvins' statement of commitment?

Probably a long and tense recruitment, but how important to sparking access to other recruits; Let's hope the coaches can sell their message, but I think Ayo and his mom are most important.

The Illini advantages:

1. Ayo
2. Ayo's Mom
3. Chin
4. The Irvins ?
5. He gets to claim he was worthy of Blue Blood offers, but chose to go to Illinois

A real life test of the Irvins' statement of commitment?

Probably a long and tense recruitment, but how important to sparking access to other recruits; Let's hope the coaches can sell their message, but I think Ayo and his mom are most important.

Illinois is in great shape with Whitney. :thumb:

Whitney is going to be releasing his top 8 soon, and be on the lookout for a Fall commitment.

Have to hope Illinois gets an OV. :shield:

If Duke does not come into the picture with an offer, then my guess would be Illinois, Louisville, Kentucky, Oregon, Syracuse, FSU, Georgetown, St Johns as the Final 8.

Last edited:
Illinois is in great shape with Whitney. :thumb:

Whitney is going to be releasing his top 8 soon, and be on the lookout for a Fall commitment.

Have to hope Illinois gets an OV. :shield:

If Duke does not come into the picture with an offer, then my guess would be Illinois, Louisville, Kentucky, Oregon, Syracuse, FSU, Georgetown, St Johns as the Final 8.

You forgot Snacks.

Knowing Ayo and knowing that Ayo will feed him the ball is important. Ayo is a pass first guard, not sure that will be the case with Kentucky or Duke.

He will also have another athlete in Tevian to team up with. Seeing some nice small ball options.

Seems like nonsense, but what struck me is that Hendrickson stated it...he’s usually straight up evaluation. Don’t see him around the rumour mill. Typically chimes in around a commitment date. Very odd comment. Really speculative on it...Looking at the offers that transpired to Whitney after comment, maybe he is expecting a blue blood destination and Shannon will not be on those teams?? Flips around meaning of comment.

Knowing Ayo and knowing that Ayo will feed him the ball is important. Ayo is a pass first guard, not sure that will be the case with Kentucky or Duke.

He will also have another athlete in Tevian to team up with. Seeing some nice small ball options.

The point guards that typically commit to Duke/Kentucky are outstanding facilitators.

Joel Goodson

respect my decision™
Quincy Guerrier appears to be a priority recruit. Any insight on where we stand? (e.g., serious contender, also ran)

JJB

Chicago, IL
Disagree, that Shannon not coming to IL doesn't make sense if Whitney comes. When all is said and done Whitney may be in the college ranks 1 year. There is room for both of them.

Yes, find a way to make it work.

Summer Jam: The Bossi Awards

MOST UPSIDE: Terrence Shannon Jr.
Shannon is already a very good player. But as good as the slashing and athletic wing already is, it's nothing compared to his long term upside. In a time where most kids have been playing travel ball since they could dribble, this summer has been Shannon's first playing high level summer ball.

MOST DOMINANT: Kahlil Whitney
When it comes to scoring the ball, there was not a better player at the Summer Jam than Whitney.

The five-star had a tremendous spring but during July he's taken his game to an entirely new level. The jump shot is falling, he's trusting his ball handling more and as they say, confidence is a heck of a drug.

Last edited:

Joel Goodson

respect my decision™
Yes, find a way to make it work.

Yes, I think most Illini fans wants both. Pretty sure staff feels the same way. That said (and at the risk of being painfully obvious), we are not the decision makers.

Status
Not open for further replies.