Illinois Hoops Recruiting Thread (July 2019)

Status
Not open for further replies.
We have Black, GB and now Kofi. OA should attract a good amount of attention.

Plus all of the bigs at UK OA had a big hand in developing. Plus Kalkbrenner's parents and friends can drive from StL to CU for a weeknight game, no way that works to W. Lafayette.

Deleted member 236589

D
Plus all of the bigs at UK OA had a big hand in developing. Plus Kalkbrenner's parents and friends can drive from StL to CU for a weeknight game, no way that works to W. Lafayette.
Because the "stay close to home" card has worked out so well for us the last five years. :) We have more kids from other COUNTRIES than we do kids from Illinois.

Because the "stay close to home" card has worked out so well for us the last five years. :) We have more kids from other COUNTRIES than we do kids from Illinois.

He's from St. Louis....Missouri. Every kid is different. What matters to one kid is irrelevant to the next. Proximity is still a bonus unless you don't care if your folks can see you in person.

Last edited:

Deleted member 236589

D
He's from St. Louis....Missouri. Every kid is different. What matters to one kid is irrelevant to the next. Proximity is still a bonus unless you don't care if your folks can see you in person.
That was kind of my point. Apparently folks are not caring about seeing their kids in person, at least as relates to us.

If you look at our starting lineup and top reserves, we have Ayo...then guys from three of the four corners of the US(Florida, NY and AZ) and of course our right around the corner overseas contingency.

Yes, one kid is different than the other, but recent history shows no matter how different they are, they're indifferent when it comes to staying close to Champaign. Hopefully he'll choose Illinois, instead of having to drive a couple hours more and go to Purdue.

Not trying to be a PITA, but our roster makeup kind of spells out our reality.

Deleted member 643761

D
Proximity is a bonus. Sure, but it appears that it's about as much a bonus as the 10 cents off your Coke that might show up a bottle cap.

All indications, across the country, are that proximity is further and further down the list of priorities, almost to the point of being inconsequential.

Here are a few reasons that I can think of.

1. Airline travel has become cheaper and easier than ever. With some sacrifices, your parents will get to see you.
2. Games are televised more than ever.
3. As a general rule, people have more flexibility in work schedules and more disposable income than at any time in the past. This means more and more families are able to arrange times to watch games.

Of course, anyone looking to play in a power conference is also looking to get to the next level and get paid. That means a coach that can get you there, and time on the court to show case talent. Those are going to far far outweigh proximity for most players.

That was kind of my point. Apparently folks are not caring about seeing their kids in person, at least as relates to us.

If you look at our starting lineup and top reserves, we have Ayo...then guys from three of the four corners of the US(Florida, NY and AZ) and of course our right around the corner overseas contingency.

Yes, one kid is different than the other, but recent history shows no matter how different they are, they're indifferent when it comes to staying close to Champaign. Hopefully he'll choose Illinois, instead of having to drive a couple hours more and go to Purdue.

Not trying to be a PITA, but our roster makeup kind of spells out our reality.
I believe winning would change that completely.

Is there really that big of a difference in talent between Seward and Miller that one gets blueblood offers and the other doesn't? It's ironic honestly because a year or two ago the roles would've been flopped almost entirely.

Steward is a combo guard that can play point and score. Miller is listed as a shooting guard which typically means he's more of a scorer and less of a distributor. So that makes Steward a more valuable recruit.
Purdue actually scares me a bit on the Kalkbrenner recruitment. Swannigan, Haas, now Harms. They've really done a great job with developing bigs and have a lot to sell.
Illinois' has the more recent track record. What this current set of guys did with Black in 1 year was amazing. And now Giorgi. If Kofi hits the floor running that'll be 3 incredibly talented bigs that all got up to the college game with the current set of coaches here.

Proximity is a bonus. Sure, but it appears that it's about as much a bonus as the 10 cents off your Coke that might show up a bottle cap.

All indications, across the country, are that proximity is further and further down the list of priorities, almost to the point of being inconsequential.

1. Airline travel has become cheaper and easier than ever.
THIS IS NOT TRUE
THIS IS TRUE, ONLY IF YOU TEAM IS IN THE TOP TWENTY
3. As a general rule, people have more flexibility in work schedules and more disposable income than at any time in the past. This means more and more families are able to arrange times to watch games.
18 TO 20% OF PEOPLE WORK TWO JOBS. I DOUBT IF THE AVERAGE FAMILY CAN SPEND A $1000 A TRIP FLYING TO SEVERAL OF THEIR CHILDREN'S BASKETBALL GAMES A SEASON.

1. Airline travel has become cheaper and easier than ever. With some sacrifices, your parents will get to see you.

Of course, anyone looking to play in a power conference is also looking to get to the next level and get paid. That means a coach that can get you there, and time on the court to show case talent. Those are going to far far outweigh proximity for most players.
4. The parents get free airline tickets from the school or the school bought them a house near campus

Deleted member 643761

D
Steward is a combo guard that can play point and score. Miller is listed as a shooting guard which typically means he's more of a scorer and less of a distributor. So that makes Steward a more valuable recruit.

Illinois' has the more recent track record. What this current set of guys did with Black in 1 year was amazing. And now Giorgi. If Kofi hits the floor running that'll be 3 incredibly talented bigs that all got up to the college game with the current set of coaches here.

Let's hope Kofi drops 25 points in our first game. Because kalkbrenner is likely to sign after that

Deleted member 643761

D
I believe winning would change that completely.
I"m not sure what you mean by change that completely? If you mean that we'll get higher quality players from around the country, I think you're right. If you think winning will mean that we'll get more of our players closer to home, I'd disagree.

Proximity is ALWAYS a bonus when parents are involved and want to see their son play college basketball. While I'm glad that we look for talent wherever we can find it (including other countries), I don't see mom and dad dropping in too often if they live in Chad, Jamaica, Senegal or wherever. We are competing in some very challenging battles to attract top talent and I will take any edge we can get - whether it's proximity to home, desire to play with former AAU teammate, comfort with the staff, perceived available minutes, style of play, parents love of Illinois or whatever...

“But Coach Juwan… we’ve been knowing him for years. Nimari has even been over to his house. We have a great relationship with Juwan. He used to do a camp in Chicago that Nimari attended for like five years in a row. My wife is close to his wife… they communicate. Me and Juwan communicate. So, that’s more like family.”
Nimari Burnett's father.
https://247sports.com/college/illin...ith-5-star-Nimari-Burnett-133950684#1235782_4

Joel Goodson

respect my decision™
“But Coach Juwan… we’ve been knowing him for years. Nimari has even been over to his house. We have a great relationship with Juwan. He used to do a camp in Chicago that Nimari attended for like five years in a row. My wife is close to his wife… they communicate. Me and Juwan communicate. So, that’s more like family.”
Nimari Burnett's father.
https://247sports.com/college/illin...ith-5-star-Nimari-Burnett-133950684#1235782_4

GMAB. Whatever it takes, amirite?

"Gym at Ubben is packed with Power 5 coaches watching Jalen Bridges and Martice Mitchell go head to head. #Illini coaches Brad Underwood and Jamall Walker also in attendance."

We should post a sign outside Ubben that says "UIUC students, faculty and staff only" then recruit bouncers from a couple of campus town bars to check ID's at the door. Then we can live stream it to watch the Power 5 coaches lose their... shirt.
https://twitter.com/intent/like?tweet_id=1154128040592650241

"Gym at Ubben is packed with Power 5 coaches watching Jalen Bridges and Martice Mitchell go head to head. #Illini coaches Brad Underwood and Jamall Walker also in attendance."

We should post a sign outside Ubben that says "UIUC students, faculty and staff only" then recruit bouncers from a couple of campus town bars to check ID's at the door. Then we can live stream it to watch the Power 5 coaches lose their... shirt.
Martice Mitchell played for a school that in my school sports conference. He a very big kid. I think Illinois gonna offer

Martice Mitchell played for a school that in my school sports conference. He a very big kid. I think Illinois gonna offer
I am a 1966 graduate and alumnus from Bloom High School and have followed their basketball program every year very closely. Martice Mitchell is their best big man that I can remember. If Illinois is looking for a versatile 6'10" player, then they should definitely offer him ASAP.

adogster

Scottsdale, AZ
I am a 1966 graduate and alumnus from Bloom High School and have followed their basketball program every year very closely. Martice Mitchell is their best big man that I can remember. If Illinois is looking for a versatile 6'10" player, then they should definitely offer him ASAP.

Maybe Colangelo will add a good word.

Alas, the campus town bar is nearly extinct.

Hearing with the BJ Boston commitment to UK today, Duke is now in hot pursuit of Steward.

Could be done very soon. They want to lock him up fast after missing on Boston.

Also hearing that N’Faly Dante from MOKAN is likely re-classifying to 2019 and heading to UK. Had ILL offer.

Jalen Green, and Josh Christopher also likely headed to UK. (keeps Christopher away from Mizzery)

Lots of pieces coming off the board quick... Will post as I get more updates.

Last edited:

Joel Goodson

respect my decision™
Hearing with the BJ Boston commitment to UK today, Duke is now in hot pursuit of Steward.

Also hearing that N’Faly Dante from MOKAN is likely re-classifying to 2019 and heading to UK. Had ILL offer.

Jalen Green, and Josh Christopher also likely headed to UK. (keeps Christopher away from Mizzery)

It's good to be king, lol.

Whitney may not see the court and end up here in a couple years.

Status
Not open for further replies.