Illinois Hoops Recruiting Thread (July 2019)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Steward moves into burger status based on his PJ showing and Miller slips based on not such a good showing. Joel, you got your wish. The interesting one is has Watson proven he belongs as a HM and if so does that mean the staff softens on Curbelo. I'm okay if it's Watson.
2 new CB's for Steward to Duke.

Last edited:
While most kids would die for the Duke opportunity, fact is there are many more 4 and 5 star flops at Duke than successes. Not so sure Morant goes number 2 in the draft this year if he goes to Duke. Might be better for some to be a big fish in a smaller pond.. DJ Steward kind of reminds me of the Sean Dockery situation way back when. Didn’t work out so well for Dockery..

Deleted member 182960

D
While most kids would die for the Duke opportunity, fact is there are many more 4 and 5 star flops at Duke than successes. Not so sure Morant goes number 2 in the draft this year if he goes to Duke. Might be better for some to be a big fish in a smaller pond.. DJ Steward kind of reminds me of the Sean Dockery situation way back when. Didn’t work out so well for Dockery..

I’m not sure you can compare Morant to this situation. The kid had like 1-2 D1 offers and made the best of it. Not even close to the same situation for steward...

I’m not sure you can compare Morant to this situation. The kid had like 1-2 D1 offers and made the best of it. Not even close to the same situation for steward...

I would agree, maybe not exactly appropriate. Point being, obviously he had the talent to play at a Duke, Kentucky, Kansas, or etc., but would he have been better off averaging 7 points a game there or excelling at Murray State?

Not including this years class, over the past 5 years, Duke (19) and Kentucky (22) alone have had 41 5-star players between them. Can anyone name more than 10? While playing at these schools I’m sure was a great experience, I don’t think it was a great career choice. Marques Bolden and Chase Jeter for example would have been better off not being part of a dream team class and would have looked better playing for the Illini. Dream team / projected one and done recruiting classes are sexy on paper but haven’t proven to be in the best interest of the players or teams.

I believe DJ would be better off being more of a focal point for the Illini than an accessory to Duke’s top 10 recruits. Hopefully he agrees!

The Blue Devils already have a pair of five star commitments from the class of 2020 with top five overall prospect Jalen Johnson joining one of the nation's three best floor generals, five star prospect Jeremy Roach. Duke is the only program in the country with a five star commitment at this time."Jalen talks to me a lot," Steward told TDD. "He just committed to Duke and he’s talked with me a lot. We talk a lot for about a year now. He’s really talented and he’s a cool guy, good guy to vibe with off the court. It’d be great to play with him. He’s been talking with me about playing there."

Thoughts?

The Blue Devils already have a pair of five star commitments from the class of 2020 with top five overall prospect Jalen Johnson joining one of the nation's three best floor generals, five star prospect Jeremy Roach. Duke is the only program in the country with a five star commitment at this time."Jalen talks to me a lot," Steward told TDD. "He just committed to Duke and he’s talked with me a lot. We talk a lot for about a year now. He’s really talented and he’s a cool guy, good guy to vibe with off the court. It’d be great to play with him. He’s been talking with me about playing there."

Thoughts?

Not sure Steward's Duke offer is commitable.

Duke is a tough place to play if your not the man from day one. They will recruit over you the following year if you don't go pro or transfer.

What Ayo has done is great for Illinois, it is a blueprint for a top 30 player, especially if he is a top 10 draft pick next year.

So I think it was mentioned that Tilmon is committing tomorrow on the 15th. Is there any truth to that? That could be awesome for us. ILLINI

Supposedly his announcement has been pushed back pending the NCAA's ruling on his hardship request.

illini80

Forgottonia
Supposedly his announcement has been pushed back pending the NCAA's ruling on his hardship request.
I can't see how Illinois as a destination gets him the hardship wavier in light of the Luke Ford ruling. Michigan seems more likely from that standpoint.

I can't see how Illinois as a destination gets him the hardship wavier in light of the Luke Ford ruling. Michigan seems more likely from that standpoint.
Did I miss his interest from Michigan? I don't remember seeing they were involved, everything since his visit has been very quiet. I'm not sure anyone gets him a hardship since his mom supposedly was in Utah while he was enrolled. I guess if it's a question of medical treatment they could claim anywhere that she prefers treatment, like Chicago. Really don't believe the situation with his mom has ever been disclosed in any detail. If his waiver is based upon 'close to her" geography, can he even apply until he commits?

illini80

Forgottonia
Did I miss his interest from Michigan? I don't remember seeing they were involved, everything since his visit has been very quiet. I'm not sure anyone gets him a hardship since his mom supposedly was in Utah while he was enrolled. I guess if it's a question of medical treatment they could claim anywhere that she prefers treatment, like Chicago. Really don't believe the situation with his mom has ever been disclosed in any detail. If his waiver is based upon 'close to her" geography, can he even apply until he commits?
It's been briefly mentioned since it's close to home and they have room, but I haven't heard that he has made any visits there.

Adam Miller down to NC State, Mizzou, Kansas, Northwestern, Chicago State, Wake Forest, Louisville, Arizona, Illinois, Arizona State.

Plans on cutting it down even more in a few weeks. Looking at a fall commitment. Has taken 1 OV to Louisville, he’s got 4 left.

Miller was talking to some blue bloods who had interest but they were reluctant to pull the trigger.

Last edited:
Adam Miller down to NC State, Mizzou, Kansas, Northwestern, Chicago State, Wake Forest, Louisville, Arizona, Illinois, Arizona State.

Plans on cutting it down even more in a few weeks. Looking at a fall commitment. Has taken 1 OV to Louisville, he’s got 4 left.

Miller was talking to some blue bloods who had interest but they were reluctant to pull the trigger.

Miller plans to cut his list to 5 around the end of July or beginning of August and then start visits.

Status
Not open for further replies.