Illinois Hoops Recruiting Thread (July 2019)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not sure the waiver request doesn't come from the school and not the individual athlete.

From the NCAA Guide on Transferring:

Waiver: An action that sets aside an NCAA rule because a specific, extraordinary circumstance prevents you from meeting the rule. An NCAA school may file a waiver on your behalf; you cannot file a waiver for yourself. The school does not administer the waiver; the conference office or NCAA does.

If Steward signs in the fall (which I'm assuming), it will be before we have a chance to demonstrate that we're back (or some semblance thereof). Going to be a hard pull.
Wasn't aware of his timeline for actual commitment...thank you for sharing, and yes that would not apply if accurate. Either way the Steward pull will be harder than the Miller one, I agree, however the sell to them to come in as part of a 3 guard lineup again might be enticing Williams/Brown/Head thing?:unsure:

A top 10 list is akin to the announcement that the sun has risen this morning. I guess from an Illinois perspective it is at least a sunny day.
In general I agree, but to me the significance is who isn't there...I think we can compete with that list given some Fire & in state connections...sure he could add a Kentucky/Duke/Carolina, but I like having the field reigned in a bit & if the list looked like UCLA, Kansas, Carolina, Duke, L'Ville, Kentucky, AZ and us, where we looked closer to the Chicago State on the list, I would be getting more than a little nervous.

jmilt7

Waukegan
This is how Duke sees the Steward recruitment (or at least how one partisan writer see it). So, only if the other two, more highly regarded shooting guards, don't commit?

• Shooting guard: Saturday’s offer to D.J. Steward, a 6-foot-4 four-star with a No. 27 ranking, all but assured the Blue Devils of landing a quality guy at this position. If Coach K fails to land either of the other two off-guards on his offer sheet — silky scorer B.J. Boston, who ranks No. 10, and multi-positional phenom Cade Cunningham, who ranks No. 2 — then chances are Steward would jump at the chance to fill the opening. (The staff also has eyes on underrated three-star D.J. Gordon and five-star 2021 guard Terrence Clarke, who may soon boast a Duke offer and is considering reclassing).
Ample offers on table

I b
I have not heard this before. Why would someone with serious health issues move to Lincoln? Is there a family connection we haven’t heard about?

I believe his grandmother lives there, at least I read that somewhere. Maybe his mom needs grandma to take care of her? His immediate eligibility based on hardship may be just to us, Ill State or Bradley if that's true?

KrushCow31

Former Krush Cow
Chicago, IL
According to Werner, they are friends and talked about playing together, but each wants to be “the man” so it’s unlikely.

Wouldn't Ayo be most likely gone once Tillman is available to play? I kind of doubt Ayo stays another year after this.

Dislike, but not overly surprised. The longer it drags on, the less likely we get him.

The longer it drags on is due to not learning if he gets a waiver to play this year...I actually think the longer it goes it bodes well for us not the other way around. I think he would want to play right away and not sit if he is allowed too.

illini80

Forgottonia
The longer it drags on is due to not learning if he gets a waiver to play this year...I actually think the longer it goes it bodes well for us not the other way around. I think he would want to play right away and not sit if he is allowed too.
I don’t pretend to understand the intricacies of the wavier process, but if the school has to be the one to apply for the wavier (as stated above), can more than one school be asking for the same player? I don’t think we would expect that to be the case. If he is denied through Illinois, can he then apply through another school?

It would seem logical to me that he would have to commit to a school before a wavier would even be considered, but who knows. Regardless, ilini0440’s comment above tells me it’s likely not happening for the beloved.

skyIdub

Winged Warrior
No worries, you are in good company; the NCAA doesn't understand the NCAA waiver process, either.

tenor.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.