Illinois Hoops Recruiting Thread (July 2019)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 554798

D
They do not offer scholarships but some schools do give some money to students to help with the cost of tuition.

The NCAA refers to these situations as a “recruited athlete” even if it is only a few thousand dollars and not a full ride.

From what I understand, if a player takes any money from the school at D3 then he/she must sit a year before being eligible at the D1 level. However, if they never took any money from their previous school then they should be able to be granted immediate eligibility.
Yup. My brother played D3 basketball and wasn’t allowed to get an athletic scholarship so instead he was given a $15000 academic scholarship. Only needed a 3.0 in high school to receive it. They find a way around it

Deleted member 4333

D
I can only think of 1 player, Duncan Robinson, to go from Division III to Division I and be on scholarship. Can you think of others??
Which is a higher level of competition . . . Div III or community college? Andres Feliz is doing ok.

Which is a higher level of competition . . . Div III or community college? Andres Feliz is doing ok.
Wouldnt basketball IQ tend to be higher coming from DIII level simply do to the academic requirements to get in & the level of coaching?

Transfer sit out rules apply to a D3 transfer to D1? How can that be. Does D3 even give athletic scholarships?
Not "official" schollies. But I know for a fact, you can get a job watching the gym during the hours that it's locked. Recruiting short cuts at a lower level.

Feliz was at Northwest Florida State College which is part of the National junior college system. JUCO is a level above Division III in most instances.

Lol, Apparently Bridges wasn't impressed by our campus

And to think that during an interview this weekend he said that OA contacted him every day. Maybe he was mad that OA took off to chase Curbelo the weekend Illinois hosted the NCAA academy.

IllFanInMi

I
D3 NCAA is a higher level across the board, without much question. Some JUCO programs are on a completely different playing field than most, they act as “feeders” to big programs. NW Florida State is a D1 JUCO, which means they can provide housing and academic $. D2 JUCOS can provide academic $, and D3 JUCOS neither. My daughter played vs NW Florida St in softball at their tournament and they were insanely good and loaded with D1 kids that either needed to get grades in order, or PT until their spot was available. It’s no surprise AF was at a school like NWFS, it’s one of the big time JUCO programs.

There are undoubtedly bad D3 programs, but your top D3 teams can beat many D2 teams and not get humiliated by bad D1 teams. Also remember for the most part JUCO teams are freshmen and sophomores, D3 obviously have juniors and seniors as well, big difference.

Feliz was at Northwest Florida State College which is part of the National junior college system. JUCO is a level above Division III in most instances.[/QUO

Govoner Vaugn Fan

New Orleans
There are undoubtedly bad D3 programs, but your top D3 teams can beat many D2 teams and not get humiliated by bad D1 teams. Also remember for the most part JUCO teams are freshmen and sophomores, D3 obviously have juniors and seniors as well, big difference.[/QUOTE]

Yup. Jack Sikma came put of D3. Did all right in the NBA.

There are undoubtedly bad D3 programs, but your top D3 teams can beat many D2 teams and not get humiliated by bad D1 teams. Also remember for the most part JUCO teams are freshmen and sophomores, D3 obviously have juniors and seniors as well, big difference.

Yup. Jack Sikma came put of D3. Did all right in the NBA.[/QUOTE]

Actually IWU was a NAIA school at the time that Sikma played. He used to work at Black's Sporting Goods. Sold me a pole vault pole when I was in HS.

D3 NCAA is a higher level across the board, without much question. Some JUCO programs are on a completely different playing field than most, they act as “feeders” to big programs. NW Florida State is a D1 JUCO, which means they can provide housing and academic $. D2 JUCOS can provide academic $, and D3 JUCOS neither. My daughter played vs NW Florida St in softball at their tournament and they were insanely good and loaded with D1 kids that either needed to get grades in order, or PT until their spot was available. It’s no surprise AF was at a school like NWFS, it’s one of the big time JUCO programs.

You bring up a good point about a feeder program like NWFS...There is more visibility AND a better fit to transistion from JUCO to D1 because the players do not need to sit out a year but consider that the number of players that make the leap to a Power 5 D1 team is small. Feliz was a standout player and many questioned whether he was good enough to play in the Big Ten. The average D3 player is better than the average JUCO player but 1) certain JUCO programs are better and 2) the number of potential D3 transfers is far lower due to the requirement of sitting out a year.

IllFanInMi

I
You bring up a good point about a feeder program like NWFS...There is more visibility AND a better fit to transistion from JUCO to D1 because the players do not need to sit out a year but consider that the number of players that make the leap to a Power 5 D1 team is small. Feliz was a standout player and many questioned whether he was good enough to play in the Big Ten. The average D3 player is better than the average JUCO player but 1) certain JUCO programs are better and 2) the number of potential D3 transfers is far lower due to the requirement of sitting out a year.

Agreed. I think you will find more D1 athletes/talent across the board lurking in the JUCO ranks trying to do what they need to in hopes of getting to the big schools versus D3. My comment was more supporting my belief that as a whole D3 hoops is stronger than JUCO hoops from a team prospective. There are some real good D3 teams and players, but JUCO is a different animal and a better place for the individuals who have ability and aspirations to move to a big school. If grades and $ are the reason, that rules out D3 for them.

We have all seen garbage time and even good D1 programs have guys that are not D1 talent and probably have better careers in D2, D3, or NAIA. There are so many more reasons kids go where they go than just skills.

Really wished the staff would offer the Bloom kid, up and comer, skills, starting to get noticed, and has an interest in Illini if he were to be offered. We will have at least 4 spots that year possibly more, why not get him, sit him behind Giorgi/Kofi/Kouma and have him really ready in 2021 to give us some major minutes?

ILL in IA

Iowa City
The quality of D3 and JUCO still comes down to what helps separate the big boys in D1. How much are you willing to fund the programs. It was amazing to me how good/bad the facilities were playing D3 baseball.

And everyone is getting money at a D3 school. No one is paying full price, esp. if you are in a sport. I got money for being from out of state, my GPA in H.S., and a work-study job in the athletic department.

Status
Not open for further replies.