Illinois Hoops Recruiting Thread (July 2019)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joel Goodson

respect my decision™
And everyone is getting money at a D3 school. No one is paying full price, esp. if you are in a sport. I got money for being from out of state, my GPA in H.S., and a work-study job in the athletic department.

This. D3 coaches and schools find creative ways to reduce athletes' tabs. It's an art form, lol.

The Recruit

The Eternal Optimist
Denver, CO
Really wished the staff would offer the Bloom kid, up and comer, skills, starting to get noticed, and has an interest in Illini if he were to be offered. We will have at least 4 spots that year possibly more, why not get him, sit him behind Giorgi/Kofi/Kouma and have him really ready in 2021 to give us some major minutes?

I don't disagree with looking at the Bloomington kid, as I know nothing about him. The only point I have is due to recent years, I would be very surprised if Kouma is around after year 1 or 2 with the delay he has had with getting clearing by the NCAA so far. With him being so far behind, I imagine him to have a similar if not lesser role than Kane last year, and that seems like a recipe for the transfer portal. Hope I am wrong, as we will need some big bodies that can develop and be around for 4 years other than just GB (hoping for 4).

Joel Goodson

respect my decision™
I don't disagree with looking at the Bloomington kid, as I know nothing about him. The only point I have is due to recent years, I would be very surprised if Kouma is around after year 1 or 2 with the delay he has had with getting clearing by the NCAA so far. With him being so far behind, I imagine him to have a similar if not lesser role than Kane last year, and that seems like a recipe for the transfer portal. Hope I am wrong, as we will need some big bodies that can develop and be around for 4 years other than just GB (hoping for 4).

Bloom Township (south suburban, Chicago Heights?), not Bloomington.

As for Kouma concerns, third time's the charm?

I can only think of 1 player, Duncan Robinson, to go from Division III to Division I and be on scholarship. Can you think of others??

I can recall Jack Sikma going from DIII to the NBA. He certainly could've played at an DI school had he wanted to.

jmilt7

Waukegan
Saw a tweet that says D3 SG Austin Hutcherson will take 4 visits, including IL. Sit 1, play 2.

Supposedly taking an official visit this week. Thursday

Illini hosting D-III guard Austin Hutcherson for official visit

Hutcherson will have two years of eligibility remaining after sitting out the upcoming season due to transfer rules. He is coming off official visits at Notre Dame (July 24-26) and Creighton (July 26-28).

Hutcherson told Illini Inquirer that he cancelled a trip to Marquette, which was scheduled to take place early this week. Illinois will be his final stop before making a decision.

Mmm, that sounds kind of promising, no?

Last edited:
Is it because I’m old and grouchy, but I’m so not interested in my list going from 20 to 16 to 12 to 8 to 4.

Are these kids in that much need of a spotlight? I cannot imagine that they are seriously considering all the schools on these long lists. They only get 5 visits. How can a list be a dozen?

201154JC

Rockford, IL
Is it because I’m old and grouchy, but I’m so not interested in my list going from 20 to 16 to 12 to 8 to 4.

Are these kids in that much need of a spotlight? I cannot imagine that they are seriously considering all the schools on these long lists. They only get 5 visits. How can a list be a dozen?
Typical ME generational stuff. I try to ingnore it. If I don't, I feel stupid for even following.

I too thought Jack Sikma might not be able to compete physically in the NBA until I ran into him in a kmart near his hometown of StAnne, IL following his senior season at IWU, & what I saw was a very impressive physical specimen that looked nothing like the gangly kid I saw in HS 4 years earlier & left no doubts in my mind he would be up for the challenge. FF a few years when I was working in a local Post Office an autographed basketball from then NBA All-Star Jack came through for a local charity reminding me his dream had come true.

Exactly I agree this kid on the low side is a 4 year player with skills....maybe a starter as a junior who knows? On the high side, he might be the next Anthony Davis for all we know....Maryland, Xavier, Rutgers and a littany of others have offered? No not Penn State Littany Lions, they have not.

Supposedly taking an official visit this week. Thursday

Illini hosting D-III guard Austin Hutcherson for official visit

Hutcherson will have two years of eligibility remaining after sitting out the upcoming season due to transfer rules. He is coming off official visits at Notre Dame (July 24-26) and Creighton (July 26-28).

Hutcherson told Illini Inquirer that he cancelled a trip to Marquette, which was scheduled to take place early this week. Illinois will be his final stop before making a decision.

Mmm, that sounds kind of promising, no?

So we got Miller, Hutcherson, and 2 Bigs for next year playing with current team? An off guard, a 2-3 type shooter, Burnett (PG lead guard would be awesome) and throw in say Kalkbrenner or Fletcher for icing?

Joel Goodson

respect my decision™
So we got Miller, Hutcherson, and 2 Bigs for next year playing with current team? An off guard, a 2-3 type shooter, Burnett (PG lead guard would be awesome) and throw in say Kalkbrenner or Fletcher for icing?

Dreaming is fine, but keeping it real is better:

Miller, Hutcherson, Kalkbrenner, Curbelo/Watson and, possibly, a player to named later

Miller, Hutcherson, Kalkbrenner, Curbelo/Watson and, possibly, a player to named later

Agree that Miller, Hutcherson, Watson are are most likely pickups. Kalkbrenner would be huge and isn't too far of a shot to think we could land him.

With those 2020 recruits we'd play Trent at PG, and Griffin(JR)/Miller(FR)/Hutcherson(JR) would be our remaining guards. Tevian at the 3 but with guards backing him up. Giorgi at the 4 backed by Verdonk. Kofi at the 5 backed by Kouma and Kalkbrenner. That's a legit team that could go deep.

foby

Bonnaroo Land

And they can stop tweeting all over my lawn.

Yup. Jack Sikma came put of D3. Did all right in the NBA.

Actually IWU was a NAIA school at the time that Sikma played. He used to work at Black's Sporting Goods. Sold me a pole vault pole when I was in HS.[/QUOTE]

Was that pole made of bamboo?:giggle:

I agree with the probability of your player "position types" that we will end up with, however, Curbelo is getting some serious push from local schools where he is playing....I think/hope Watson is who we end up. Everytime I see his name, I reflect on if we would of had the Watson that got away to Nebraska, still like his game overall, hope this one is similiar if we get him.

Yup. Jack Sikma came put of D3. Did all right in the NBA.

Actually IWU was a NAIA school at the time that Sikma played. He used to work at Black's Sporting Goods. Sold me a pole vault pole when I was in HS.[/QUOTE]

Leron's family had a Sporting Goods Store?

Joel Goodson

respect my decision™
I think/hope Watson is who we end up. Everytime I see his name, I reflect on if we would of had the Watson that got away to Nebraska, still like his game overall, hope this one is similiar if we get him.

Watson is really good. Definitely worthy. But Curbelo's better, IMO. Don't know if Antigua pushes us over the top, but I damn sure want to find out.

jmilt7

Waukegan
Another article written by the less than admired Rees Woodcock but there is some information there that might be of interest in regard to the Hutcherson recruit.

Illini coaches have a plan for Austin Hutcherson

Hutcherson also mentions to Piper how Brad Underwood wanted to use the talented transfer. Underwood is looking at Hutcherson as a possible replacement for Ayo Dosunmu when he leaves the program. Mainly, he is looking at him as a No. 1 or No. 2 guard on the team.

Status
Not open for further replies.