Illinois Hoops Recruiting Thread (July 2020)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Seems like with all the tall guards and bigs, we are right back where we were under Gross with only a couple of true ball handlers with speed after this season. With Trent and DaMonte departing and no one sure how long Miller will be around, it seems that a couple of shooting guards at 6'5" and no speedy guards with pass and handle skills is very risky.
Curbelo?

Input? Screenshot_2020-07-06-18-16-12~2.png

Meyer and Snow both with most recent CB's on Christie to MSU. Illinois ship sailed a long time ago.

Regardless of which player vs. which player is at the crux of the current debate, the roster make up will determine position battles. Certainly, Hawkins and Tchikou would have been battling each other for minutes. With the ever increasing popularity of guys who want more minutes transferring, you could argue that having a developmental redshirt is actually serves the program better long term. Lieb is completely on board with his minutes allocation for the upcoming season. (Zero minutes) Chances are one of Hawkins or Tchikou would not have been thrilled with their usage by the end of the season.

That's assuming Tchikou would have even ended up in Champaign had Lieb not been so eager to be an Illini, which is assuming an awful lot...

A just as likely scenario would have been, we slow play Lieb hoping for Alex, and Lieb decides to go to OK St because they actually want him. Then Alex commits to Alabama anyway and we continue to wonder when we are going to start developing a "developmental" big man.
I would also submit, it’s never awful to have a 7 footer on your bench, if for nothing else than to soak up 5 fouls under the hoop while keeping more important players out of foul trouble. The kid is going to gain weight with fletch and catch a shirt this year. Which gives him the whole first year to focus solely on learning the system and gaining weight. Plus, he’s not going anywhere in the immediate. We are always pissed when Wisconsin comes and takes the Ethan Happ’s and Frank Kamisky’s from our backyard. Now we’ve got one.

B-ILL

Working From Home
Seems like with all the tall guards and bigs, we are right back where we were under Gross with only a couple of true ball handlers with speed after this season. With Trent and DaMonte departing and no one sure how long Miller will be around, it seems that a couple of shooting guards at 6'5" and no speedy guards with pass and handle skills is very risky. But if those two 6'5" kids are really combos with freak skills at that height, then bring 'em on. Gotta keep enough of each position around to handle inevitable injury, suspensions, attitude problems, academic inelg., etc., etc.
Andre Curbelo says hi.

Seems like with all the tall guards and bigs, we are right back where we were under Gross with only a couple of true ball handlers with speed after this season. With Trent and DaMonte departing and no one sure how long Miller will be around, it seems that a couple of shooting guards at 6'5" and no speedy guards with pass and handle skills is very risky. But if those two 6'5" kids are really combos with freak skills at that height, then bring 'em on. Gotta keep enough of each position around to handle inevitable injury, suspensions, attitude problems, academic inelg., etc., etc.
We gon be alright.

Goode has a teammate, Fletcher Loyer, who transferred in from Michigan who is 6'5" now, He averaged 17 as a frosh and 21.7 as a soph for a pretty strong Mich. HS team. Worth keeping an eye on as BU has become aware. Holds 7 offers now including Mich. and Purdue. Needs to put on weight and strength, but if he did not I would be more worried. Love kids that age and size who can put it in the net from anywhere.

drsmitty74

Rochester
Goode has a teammate, Fletcher Loyer, who transferred in from Michigan who is 6'5" now, He averaged 17 as a frosh and 21.7 as a soph for a pretty strong Mich. HS team. Worth keeping an eye on as BU has become aware. Holds 7 offers now including Mich. and Purdue. Needs to put on weight and strength, but if he did not I would be more worried. Love kids that age and size who can put it in the net from anywhere.

And his older brother plays for Mich State.

I would also submit, it’s never awful to have a 7 footer on your bench, if for nothing else than to soak up 5 fouls under the hoop while keeping more important players out of foul trouble. The kid is going to gain weight with fletch and catch a shirt this year. Which gives him the whole first year to focus solely on learning the system and gaining weight. Plus, he’s not going anywhere in the immediate. We are always pissed when Wisconsin comes and takes the Ethan Happ’s and Frank Kamisky’s from our backyard. Now we’ve got one.

Nitpicking obviously, but if a 7 footer is fouling, late on help, not protecting the basket, etc. he'll be a liability. Height only gets you so far, and fouling is not a good strategy in basketball, except in rare circumstances.

None of this is meant to apply to our players --just that we shouldn't expect height to mean 'great at basketball' or give anything more than a relative advantage on shorter players.

Nitpicking obviously, but if a 7 footer is fouling, late on help, not protecting the basket, etc. he'll be a liability. Height only gets you so far, and fouling is not a good strategy in basketball, except in rare circumstances.

None of this is meant to apply to our players --just that we shouldn't expect height to mean 'great at basketball' or give anything more than a relative advantage on shorter players.
I’m assuming things have changed a lot in basketball since the Kruger and Self teams. My recollection is that those
teams had several serviceable bigs that could eat up minutes and protect the paint (often by fouling). It was a strategy
that proved very successful for those clubs.

Deleted member 4333

D
So

Something about an in-state recruit that elects to go to another state school in the conference...I hate to say it, but I can't abide by his decision..won't be rooting for his success
I've had him in my classroom several times. He's a good kid . . . very smart, quiet, well behaved. I'll be rooting for him except when it impacts the Illini.

Status
Not open for further replies.