Illinois Hoops Recruiting Thread (July 2020)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I see that this is the dream class if Foster is unavailable or unwilling to come. At first look I thought it was too many wings but with Trent & DMW graduating & AYO definately gone next year of not this year it fits. Man they should be all over Nesbitt. He is a killer

Nesbitt is my favorite target that we’re after.

Foster is going pro. Once he decided against re-class the decision was made.

We will still wind up with a great class. Where things stand right now, a class of Goode, Jones, Etienne, and Nesbitt is very attainable. :shield:

As always good insight, Indy. I would add Pinzon's name to the list. Particularly if Curbelo gets off to a good start.

I see that this is the dream class if Foster is unavailable or unwilling to come. At first look I thought it was too many wings but with Trent & DMW graduating & AYO definately gone next year of not this year it fits. Man they should be all over Nesbitt. He is a killer

Rob, where is the gym that Ayo using for work outs?

Foster is going pro. Once he decided against re-class the decision was made.

We will still wind up with a great class. Where things stand right now, a class of Goode, Jones, Etienne, and Nesbitt is very attainable. :shield:
Certainly like these guys but are any of them capable pg backups to Curbelo?

Nesbitt is my favorite target that we’re after.

tumblr_nc0hkz3dMn1qgwefso1_500.gifv

Rob, where is the gym that Ayo using for work outs?
I'm not sure. I'd open up my yard for him if i could. There are not many gyms open up here so it has to be something private. Rumor was he was on campus late last week.

Certainly like these guys but are any of them capable pg backups to Curbelo?

Not a concern for the staff about a backup PG. They think they have enough guys who can handle the ball that they don't need to recruit a true PG like Curbelo.

BU won't be taking Curbelo out of the game unless he is in foul trouble or hurt. He will be looking at 35+ minutes per game.

Not a concern for the staff about a backup PG. They think they have enough guys who can handle the ball that they don't need to recruit a true PG like Curbelo.

BU won't be taking Curbelo out of the game unless he is in foul trouble or hurt. He will be looking at 35+ minutes per game.

Is Curbelo best pure point guard prospect for the Illini since.... Demetri McCamey? Dee Brown?

Jeff Goodman@GoodmanHoops

Hampton transfer Ben Stanley will choose from the following, per source.

Dayton, Oregon, Xavier, Maryland, Illinois and Hampton.
12:03 PM · Jul 13, 2020

Is Curbelo best pure point guard prospect for the Illini since.... Demetri McCamey? Dee Brown?

247 sports had DMAC ranked 62.
Going off my memory:
McCamey had fantastic range as a 3 point shooter
Excellent handles
Elite play-maker and passer
Solid FT shooter
Good rebounder
Very good overall scoring guard
Got a lot of knocks as an on-ball defender

He had a few stretches where he looked like he would lead the team to greater heights and get drafted in the NBA, but unfortunately, those were just stretches.

Dee was a burger boy coming out of hs, and I believe consensus top-10 player.

Personally, I don't see him as either. I see him having his own skill set, and one that will genereally translate well to the college game. I don't see him struggling to contribute right away --too many qualities we need.

McCamey and Dee weren't really pass 1st guys any more than Ayo was. Daron primarily played the point for Dee's 1st 3 years. McCamey led the team in FG attempts in every season except his freshman year, when he was 2nd in that stat.

illini80

Forgottonia
So I heard a rumor maybe, but is Ayo in Champaign now? It was Twitter talk somewhere yesterday...
On Scott Richie’s podcast today, he said Ayo is in Chicago and has no plans to return to Champaign. I don’t think he said what day he had talked to him.

Status
Not open for further replies.