Illinois Hoops Recruiting Thread (July-August 2016)

Status
Not open for further replies.
#2,352      
Do you really feel that his athleticism is "average" at this point in his development?

Yep. He's an incredible athlete relative to the average high school kid, and he'll be just fine at the college level. However, the kids who project to have NBA futures (esp. at SG/SF) are usually quicker and more explosive, even at this stage. Guys like Justin Smith and Abu Kigab, for instance, are much more athletic than Goodwin, but don't project to be exceptional athletes by NBA standards (probably not dunk contest guys at any rate). Goodwin, with his strength, wingspan, motor, and IQ, has a chance, but he's at a deficit athletically when projecting his game at the pro level. Guaranteed, he will have to become either a PG (at least a definite NBA-level CG/part-time ball handler) or a deadeye outside shooter. Otherwise, he'll head overseas.

#2,353      
So now that Louisville has their guy, who do we have to compete with for Kiir?

#2,355      
So based on this, was Mizzou a much bigger factor a week ago when Tate was in Columbia than what we thought? I'm doubting it but just asking.

Mizzou fans in STL thought they had a shot; now they know they don't. Not that that's gospel.

#2,357      

Deleted member 10676

D
Agreed. And that is why I like Lewis so much. He is long, athletic, tough around the rim, great rebounder, high motor, and in the past 6 months has really turned into a plus shooter. But we'll see if the rumors are true about us cooling on him.

Or him on us. Run on Iowa State CBs including Meyer ahead of this weekend's visit to Ames. If he leaves without committing, we may still have a shot.

http://247sports.com/PlayerInstitution/Terrence-Lewis-at-Riverside-129078/CurrentExpertPredictions

#2,358      
No offense Stue but that is not the general consensus. There are rumors flying and everyone wants to be in the know but this is simply untrue. Are they a threat yes. Could it become more serious yes. But the job Walker and Groce have done, the amount of time and attention they have spent on him does not get shoved aside with an assistant coach who jumps ship. In addition, Ford has no track record of success and was just fired last year and Goodwin wants to win. He’s a native of Illinois and that carries a lot of weight. The SLU program is rebuilding and the A-10 as well as the conference coverage falls well below the B1G. There is no reason the relationship built with the Illini staff would diminish at this point and in fact should be revved up. I find it hilarious who all these sources are that turn out to be crap because they think they are in the know. There is a small finite group of people truly in the know and neither of us are one of them. Our moderators have clearly spelled out their positions on this and it falls in the concerned, growing threat category and not swung to the SLU side all of a sudden. I know the coach who is consulting with Goodwin has SLU connections… but Walker (also SLU alum) has had close family relationship for a while. Let’s just be patient.

You may be right, it may not be the consensus, but in his case it is the most recent and most correct info available. And no offense, but in this case I do happen to be in the know. I'll share the info given to me, up to you if you choose to believe it. Feel free to pm me if you would like.

#2,360      

whatahack

St. Peters MO
This is a great development. Hopefully we can lock up Frasier on his visit and then focus on Goodwin and Kiir. Would be a HELL of a class.

Mizzery has no shot. They would have to step up to dumpster fire level. They have no AD, no asst AD, no chancellor, no president. They lost their top StL BB recruiter, their baseball coach, their softball coach and not that it matters but 2 defensive linemen were just kicked off the team. Goodwin is way to smart too head there.

Last edited:
#2,362      
SO how confident are we about Kiir?

Just reading some of the posts here it seems like a lot are pretty confident.

Is there any basis to be so confident about him coming here?

#2,363      
You may be right, it may not be the consensus, but in his case it is the most recent and most correct info available. And no offense, but in this case I do happen to be in the know. I'll share the info given to me, up to you if you choose to believe it. Feel free to pm me if you would like.

I can tell you that Stu knew what was going on in the Tilmon recruitment down to announcement time! He has connections in that neck of the woods! :thumb:

#2,366      

Deleted member 10676

D
How come I feel like I've never seen this guys name before mentioned with us until he named us to his list?

We offered him in April and the stuff was watching him in the Vegas tourney, but I think most on here just kind of ignored names with Canada after them due to our lack of success so far with Canadian players and our "pipeline". I was def surprised when we made his final list.

#2,367      

sacraig

The desert
If SLU manages to beat us for Goodwin, then Travis Ford will make a huge jump up my most hated coaches list. Evans and Goodwin in consecutive head-to-head matchups with a guy who has done absolutely nothing with his coaching career would just grind my gears.

#2,369      
We offered him in April and the stuff was watching him in the Vegas tourney, but I think most on here just kind of ignored names with Canada after them due to our lack of success so far with Canadian players and our "pipeline". I was def surprised when we made his final list.

I was definitely amused when I looked on his page and 2 of the articles immediately mentioned the Oregon-Canadian connection or Oregon's Canadian Pipeline. Sounds like what a lot of people were expecting us to have. Certainly has been useful for Oregon given some of their recent successes and without a natural recruiting hotbed to pull from nearby.

#2,370      
SO how confident are we about Kiir?

Just reading some of the posts here it seems like a lot are pretty confident.

Is there any basis to be so confident about him coming here?

It's been sounding like Louisville was the favorite for Kiir but w/ the commitment of Malik Williams, it seems to be us vs. NC State. If that's true, I like our chances. Kiir has mentioned academics are very important to him and Groce seems to have that pitch down pretty cold.

#2,371      

ILLINIFAN2

Des Moines, IA
I can't find the video of Goodwin being interviewed but I do remember him alluding to possibly making "a selfish decision" when making his school choice.... When I originally heard that, it made me wonder... hmmmmmmm

#2,372      
Why is everyone so quick to count Louisville out with Kiir? Their front court may be a little crowded his freshman year (they'll have 3 senior PF's/C's), but he'll get a lot of opportunities as a sophomore and beyond. I don't think our sell is any easier than theirs.

#2,373      

Tevo

Wilmette, IL
No one's brought this up yet, but speaking of Marcus Smart, one thing SLU may be selling Goodwin is that they'll let him play PG. He's become a terrific ball handler over the last year and he's always been a great passer. He's also a smart kid who knows that 6'4 guys with average athleticism and shaky jumpers don't get drafted as wing players. If he proves he has the IQ and playmaking skills to run an offense, along with the lateral quickness to defend the position, PG is by far his best chance to play in the NBA. His only other chance would be to become a phenomenal shooter. If he comes to UI, he won't play point full-time.

I think this makes a lot of sense. Height is likely a major reason why guys like Ray Rice and Roger Powell only went as far as good college player and Euro prospect. If Roger had been 6'8" or 6'9", or Ray had been 6'6" or 6'7", their pro prospectus might have been much different.

#2,374      

Joel Goodson

respect my decision™
Take Lewis, if he's willing, and don't look back. And, no, I'm not kidding. Lewis, Kiir/Epperson/Uyaelunmo and Frazier/Scruggs and call it a day. Great class, for us.

#2,375      

Smacko

Lexington, KY
Why is everyone so quick to count Louisville out with Kiir? Their front court may be a little crowded his freshman year (they'll have 3 senior PF's/C's), but he'll get a lot of opportunities as a sophomore and beyond. I don't think our sell is any easier than theirs.

I believe the thought was that Louisville would probably not take him if they got Malik. If that is true and they just don't have room for him, that would take them out of the equation.

Status
Not open for further replies.