Illinois Hoops Recruiting Thread (July-August 2016)

Status
Not open for further replies.
#2,727      

CAHALL15

Central Illinois
I'm not drinking the orange juice. I believe Illinois is still in the lead for Goodwin. The talk of SLU is intriguing to me. I have not wavered to the left in Billikin territory. Though there is something amiss in Goodwin's recruitment. Unlike everyone else, I'm witnessing a smokescreen. His recruitment just got more foggier, and I can see it getting more obscured, until the day he announces.

Like Tilmon, Illinois is the first major school to offer Goodwin. Loyalty can go a long way, and so can friendship ties. He's friends with Illinois' '17 recruits and Malcolm Hill. That's a bigger factor than most think.

If he ends up going to SLU or elsewhere, i'll still support him. I still believe Illinois is the leader in his recruitment, so I'm still staying positive. In the long run, Illinois is the better school than SLU IMO for Goodwin to grow and improve as a player.
He talked a lot about winning after the state title and how he wanted to win Peach Jam as well. I don't see nationally televised from SLU but even in our bad years, Illinois gets on ESPN a few times.

We check the box with all criteria he has stated in addition to a few other incentives. As you alluded to, everyone wants some press for their announcement rather than just one team running away with it. I think he comes here, too.

#2,729      
I'm not drinking the orange juice. I believe Illinois is still in the lead for Goodwin. The talk of SLU is intriguing to me. I have not wavered to the left in Billikin territory. Though there is something amiss in Goodwin's recruitment. Unlike everyone else, I'm witnessing a smokescreen. His recruitment just got more foggier, and I can see it getting more obscured, until the day he announces.

Like Tilmon, Illinois is the first major school to offer Goodwin. Loyalty can go a long way, and so can friendship ties. He's friends with Illinois' '17 recruits and Malcolm Hill. That's a bigger factor than most think.

If he ends up going to SLU or elsewhere, i'll still support him. I still believe Illinois is the leader in his recruitment, so I'm still staying positive. In the long run, Illinois is the better school than SLU IMO for Goodwin to grow and improve as a player.

Everything you say is logical. Recruiting isn't logical. I think Goodwin is going to make a bad choice.

#2,731      

Joel Goodson

respect my decision™
Verge is definitely talented. Reminds me a bit of Boatright who played for UConn.

If Frazier/Scruggs falls through, the PG focus should turn to Verge. FWIW, I don't think Frazier/Scruggs falls through.

#2,735      
Everything you say is logical. Recruiting isn't logical. I think Goodwin is going to make a bad choice.

Welp, if you would have told me we got Tilmon and no Goodwin at the end of last season, I would have taken that and never looked back.

So with the possibilities of this class I am still feelings wise net positive I guess

#2,737      
OK, so it's Roy and Harv, but when they brag up my favorite player and one of our commits, I'm going to give them a shout-out. Also talk about JG, Ayo, Justin Smith and the Jacobs brothers -- Markese (we've offered) and Demarius.
http://ilprepbullseye.com/Summer_Awards.html

Interesting that (from the excerpt in his post) the authors of this article are so absolutely sure that Pickett won't redshirt his frosh year.

#2,738      
Later in this video, Verge dribbles the ball off his defender's face. I don't think I'm not a fan of someone who would intentionally hit someone in the face with a basketball, even if it wasn't all that hard.
Don't never not hit no one in the head with no ball not unintentionally.

#2,740      
Welp, if you would have told me we got Tilmon and no Goodwin at the end of last season, I would have taken that and never looked back.

So with the possibilities of this class I am still feelings wise net positive I guess

Yes. Our class as it stand now is actually more than solid. But you always try to add talent.

I'd still like to add a PG. We have Lucas and maybe Da'Monte (who is certainly closer to a PG than JCL), but it's too important of a position to not continue recruiting. Then we could certainly use another PF/C (otherwise Finke has to backup Tillman at C which isn't ideal, though not terrible either).

Add Goodwin to the above and the class is an absolute home run.

#2,742      
Any chance that the selfish decision Goodwin spoke of was referring to his giving up on his football team?
Don't read too much into that quote. I think it's pretty simple -- his college decision is all about choosing a destination that is best for him. He's doing it for himself, hence a selfish decision. The decision to not play football is a smart one because it lowers the risk of injury.

#2,744      
Don't read too much into that quote. I think it's pretty simple -- his college decision is all about choosing a destination that is best for him. He's doing it for himself, hence a selfish decision. The decision to not play football is a smart one because it lowers the risk of injury.

Anybody who attempts to interpret that sentence is "reading too much into it".

Nobody has a clue. If you are going to speculate on it don't tell others they shouldn't.

#2,745      
2 more flipped their CB to SLU. That makes 3. Waiting to see what the big dogs do.

Whatever SLU offered him has his immediate ear. In Whitman I trust.

#2,748      
Can someone give me a rundown of what SLU is working with? Are they able to win even with a commitment from Goodwin? I've heard they're coming off a bad year and that's about all i know.

Last edited by a moderator:
#2,749      
Leading to my next question -- can someone give me a rundown of what SLU is working with? Are they able to win even with a commitment from Goodwin? I've heard they're coming off a bad year and that's about all i know.

Travis Ford, for whatever reason, is a great recruiter. Obviously osu is easier to sell than SLU. However, stockpile enough talent at the mid major level and it can overcome his coaching deficiencies.

Status
Not open for further replies.