Illinois Hoops Recruiting Thread (July-August 2016)

Status
Not open for further replies.
#2,978      

Mike

C-U Townie
Then what's with all the "Ford has been in Goodwin's ear" talk?

Well shucks. He probably gawn.
Wonder if we push one more time?

If not, think he would have been a good one for us even though his is not a position of need right now.

#2,979      
Come on... he didn't get that much worse just because reports are he is leanng the other way now.

It wasn't me who reported he was having trouble adjusting to the increased athleticism during AAU....(iirc it was Piper or Werner or someone who reports directly from the circuit)

Always believed he could be an outstanding college player but hes not an elite athlete...(felt the same way about Brunson and after watching him at V, I havent changed my opinion)

not looking to bash Goodwin..if he comes here will be a huuuge fan, if not, meh

#2,980      
Yea but how many of those higher are still trying to get him. Or don't have him as a plan b, c etc
Didn't seem to carry that much weight...I asked directly and it seemed he was definitely plan B for only 1, and I didn't count that 1 in the 4 above us.

#2,983      

TheSecretWeapon

ILLINI NATION!
So JGood has effectively restored the intrigue to his recruitment that Tilmon kiboshed with his post-commit comments ;)

#2,985      

Deleted member 10676

D
Jordan Goodwin should call Jawun Evans.

While Ford may be the one who came up with the sales idea, Tate is the one who sold it. Ford was hired at the end of March, St. Louis was never in the discussion the rest of the spring and summer. Tate was hired July 29th and all of a sudden, St. Louis smoke was everywhere. And it certainly helped that StL was Goodwin's team growing up. Really, all he's doing is what most people on here hoped Alexander would do. Come to a downtrodden program and lead it to some success.

#2,987      
Take this for what it's worth, but a source close to this situation told me today that UI is running at least 4th, maybe 5th in the race for JS.

That is insane. Both parents are alumni, plays in state, and the best we can do is 4th? Wow.

Also, sounds like Groce lost Goodwin - hope we can hold onto Tilmon and add another good player or two.

#2,988      

Deleted member 10676

D
That is insane. Both parents are alumni, plays in state, and the best we can do is 4th? Wow.

Also, sounds like Groce lost Goodwin - hope we can hold onto Tilmon and add another good player or two.

How did Groce "lose" Goodwin. What else was he supposed to do? Threaten mayhem? Offer a suitcase of money? The guy babysat Goodwin the entire spring and summer and then Goodwin wouldn't speak to him or the staff after AAU and the Tate hire.

#2,989      

I thought I had just seen a tweet saying that Tilmon was still very committed. Plus we have Trent Frazier coming for an official visit real soon. Goodwin would be a real disappointing miss, but it's not like this isn't a very good class even without him.

Found it:
Frank Cusumano ‏ @ Frank_Cusumano Aug 8
East St. Louis native Jeremiah Tilmon tells us he could not be more emphatic about his commitment to @ IlliniMBB.

Last edited:
#2,990      
How soon people forget we have a 5* commit and could be getting one of the best players on the AAU circuit this year later this month? Sheesh.

#2,991      

Deleted member 3875

D
How soon people forget we have a 5* commit and could be getting one of the best players on the AAU circuit this year later this month? Sheesh.

Agreed. Keep building.

#2,993      
So in that interview from a couple months ago when Goodwin was discussing potentially playing w/ Pickett, Damonte & Tilmon and how "they could be dangerous but it doesn't matter if we don't win"(or something along those lines), how does that point factor into the SLU decision? Maybe it doesn't at all and it was just a talking point? Even if Goodwin goes to SLU is the arrow undoubtedly pointing up for that program in the next couple years?

#2,994      
This thread will get worse and worse until the regular season begins and people have other things to angst over.

That said, what is with the Illini and really weird recruiting storylines?

#2,995      
All eyes on Jordan Goodwin

Goodwin has gone into stealth mode since the end of the AAU season. St. Louis Eagles head coach Corey Frazier told IlliniInquirer.com on Wednesday that Goodwin has not talked to any coaches over the last two weeks.

But the talk on the outside has run rampant. One thing has become clear: This is a battle between Illinois and SLU, despite there being seven teams on the list Goodwin released on July 26.

http://www.scout.com/college/illinois/story/1695097-all-eyes-on-jordan-goodwin

I guess I interpreted this as not talking to any of the Eagles coaches, not meaning Illinois or SLU coaches. Was he meaning that Goodwin has cut himself off from Groce and Ford and everyone else?

#2,996      
Agreed. How many Dads/AAU coaches etc. can get offered assistant coaching positions? How many buddies can be given football scholarships? This can't be happening this much to too many other programs. There can't be that many coaches willing to let a single player influence their coaching staffs.

#2,997      
While Ford may be the one who came up with the sales idea, Tate is the one who sold it. Ford was hired at the end of March, St. Louis was never in the discussion the rest of the spring and summer. Tate was hired July 29th and all of a sudden, St. Louis smoke was everywhere. And it certainly helped that StL was Goodwin's team growing up. Really, all he's doing is what most people on here hoped Alexander would do. Come to a downtrodden program and lead it to some success.

Except JGood is not on the same plane as Alexander from a rankings standpoint to be able to take a team to promised land by himself. You would think he would be smart enough to realize that. Players like the spotlight, but they like to win, too, and SLU offers less chance of real winning.

#2,998      
I guess I interpreted this as not talking to any of the Eagles coaches, not meaning Illinois or SLU coaches. Was he meaning that Goodwin has cut himself off from Groce and Ford and everyone else?

Piper said on Tay and Jay a few days ago that Goodwin was not talking to any college coaches at all - not SLU or U of I or anything else.

#2,999      
Except JGood is not on the same plane as Alexander from a rankings standpoint to be able to take a team to promised land by himself. You would think he would be smart enough to realize that. Players like the spotlight, but they like to win, too, and SLU offers less chance of real winning.

Piggy-backing off my previous question-- winning-wise, what kind of outlook does SLU have for the next couple seasons? JGood has mentioned quite a few times that winning is crucial to his decision. Can Ford/Tate legitimately ensure Goodwin the arrow is pointing up after a combined 22 win season in the past 2 years? If so, is it really all that much better than our outlook for the next couple seasons?

#3,000      

89illinigrad

Chicago
Piper said on Tay and Jay a few days ago that Goodwin was not talking to any college coaches at all - not SLU or U of I or anything else.

Based on all the smoke surrounding SLU, you have to wonder if its really true that he wasn't talking to SLU.

Status
Not open for further replies.