Illinois Hoops Recruiting Thread (July-August 2016)

Status
Not open for further replies.
#3,276      

ILLINIFAN2

Des Moines, IA
Lookin' like this was the selfish decision. =/

I have referred to this several times on here but when I watched the video interview and heard him say "selfish decision" after the Tilmon commit, it really made me scratch my head as to what he was referring to. Now we all know.

#3,277      
If Goodwin wants to go play for SLU let him, really not a huge loss for us. There are still plenty of better recruits out there uncommitted.

I don't know. The guy has a great motor, seems like he is out to prove his worth. This is a shocker to me. I mean it looks like his former AAU coach was hired on the SLU staff but in all honesty, you would think a kid would see through all of the smokescreens and that loyalty would trump stuff like this. Unfortunately, Groce and Co. can't control what a 16 or 17 yr. old does. This is pretty disappointing though. Especially considering that a lot of Goodwin's fellow friends have signed up with the Illini.

#3,278      

Mike

C-U Townie
So much for waiting till his birthday. :huh:

But really I'm bummed. Not because we really needed Goodwin, but because I (and obviously the coaches) really WANTED him. To use the cliché, he is truly a "bulldog", and I really wanted him to be that guy for us. A guy with a passion for winning at all costs and who would lay it all out on the floor every night. It's a shame he was duped by a snake oil salesman in Ford and he can't see the rational picture. It's going to be his loss ultimately. I think a year or two down the road he's going to regret not going to play with his friends at Illinois - on the big stage on big time TV in front of 16,000+ fans in a brand new spanking arena against the MSU's and Indiana's of the world.

I really think under Fletch he would have become a BEAST, too. Can you imagine what Fletch could do with a guy like JGood to turn him into a physical specimen? His NBA chances would have shot through the roof with an NBA ready body and his obvious dedication to go along with his skills. I have no doubts a competitor like JGood would have gotten more than his share of minutes by his sophomore year and that he along with Tilmon, Pickett, JCL (if still around), AJ, DJW, TJL, DMW, Finke, and maybe Frazier, Kiir, or whomever else we land would have been an awesome core that would be competing for B1G championships sooner and Elite Eight births sooner rather than later. Oh well. His loss. I do wish him well but I wish he would have shown a little bit more class and respect towards the coaches who showed him the most loyalty and love throughout his whole recruitment process. But thems the breaks.

Maybe in a couple of years he'll give us a call, or are we too spurned for that?

#3,280      
I'm no insider, but I guess I'm not bad at reading the tea leaves. It's all happened so fast it might be hard to remember the timeline, but the 7/29 post was when everyone was going, "nah, Goodwin wasn't going to Mizzou when Corey Tate was there. SLU is a mid-major, Ford is a terrible coach," etc. The 8/4 post was about 2 days before it came out from insiders that playing lead guard is indeed apparently part of the pitch from Ford--I was just speculating at the time. Hate being right about this one.

From 7/29

Quote:
Originally Posted by IlliniCaboose View Post
Does this effect Goodwin in any meaningful way?
Possibly. Consider me worried. Wouldn't be surprised if this put the Bilikins on pretty equal footing with us.

8/4

Originally Posted by FatGreg View Post
No one's brought this up yet, but speaking of Marcus Smart, one thing SLU may be selling Goodwin is that they'll let him play PG. He's become a terrific ball handler over the last year and he's always been a great passer. He's also a smart kid who knows that 6'4 guys with average athleticism and shaky jumpers don't get drafted as wing players. If he proves he has the IQ and playmaking skills to run an offense, along with the lateral quickness to defend the position, PG is by far his best chance to play in the NBA. His only other chance would be to become a phenomenal shooter. If he comes to UI, he won't play point full-time.

#3,283      
I am more bummed about missing out on Terrence Lewis to Iowa State. With that said, obviously would have loved to have Jordan Goodwin in the O & B, but one can't fault the young man for doing what he wants to do and doing what he thinks is best for him. If he wants to play in the NBA, he needs to be able to play the 1, 2 and 3. His best chance at an NBA career is as a tough do it all player, most likely off the bench.

Like many posters have already stated because of our depth on the wings and lack of depth at PG and the post, Trent Frazier and Mayan Kiir are more important recruits for the future of our program. Let's not forget JCL's surprise commitment. Scruggs, Wilkes, John, Culver, Smith etc. Anything can happen.

Good luck to Jordan Goodwin in whatever he chooses to do with his life. I wish him the best.

Go Illini!

#3,285      

MrOizo

Chicago
Good find. The timing is intriguing.
I'm guessing it has more to do with UM recent commitment than UI. I wouldn't get our hopes up that it has to do with us. Smith and Eastern are offers we would accept commitments on any moment regardless. If the staff is finding ways to attract their attention though, wonderful.

#3,288      

Deleted member 10676

D
Ryan Easterling ‏@RyanEasterling If Goodwin does indeed pick SLU today, his multi-week silence toward Illinois' staff, who led for a long time, is kind of a bad look.

yeah "kind of" -- the one thing I think we can all agree on.

#3,289      
Illinois needs kids who want to play for the state school, not kids who want to play games and feel like the center of attention. Stuff like this makes me wonder why I even follow recruiting but it's a fun thing to do during the offseason.

Loyalty trumps games. Loyalty goes a long way and it should go a long way. Groce has shown loyalty and has shown committment levels to many kids and it is not being reciprocated. I get kids like Cliff Alexander who look at Kansas and what the blue blood coaches have done and why they might see that as a better opportunity to be better coached but St. Louis University? Travis Ford? Travis is not a better coach than Groce, maybe a better recruiter at this point since he seems to be taking players that Groce is recruiting). You would think multiple years of recruiting a kid and developing relationships would mean something.

Dang.....but the kid is just a kid and he's got a right to make whatever decision he wants. I hate it that the kids don't care to help their state school succeed.

Goodwin was loyal. Not to Groce but to his AAU coach.

The kid owes nothing to Groce, regardless of how many times our staff has followed him. That's not the way recruiting works. He may or may not be making the best decision, but that's it's his choice, not ours.

#3,290      
I was told it'll be at 1:30, not sure what the hold up is

#3,294      
Nothing from JGood on his twitter despite reports he would commit to SLU at 1 pm. In fact he's retweeted several things that appear to be anti-SLU:

https://twitter.com/jgoodwin1123

I'm wondering if he's delaying it to get some of his attention/control back, since it's been leaked and become so public before he got a chance to announce it.

And to me it looks like he's retweeting a lot of stuff people are tweeting at him that are negative to him, just for the attention or because it amuses him. At least that's how I see his responses.

Edit: whoops, hit post right as he announced. so much for the waiting idea.

#3,297      
So that's done. What does ideal (but realistic) look like now:

Frazier, Kiir, and "any top 100 who wants to commit" otherwise get a 5th year to open a 2018?

I would say Frazier, Kiir, and a 5th year. Save the last scholly for either scruggs or wilkes on the off chance they want to come, otherwise keep it open for Finke or one of the pg prospects for next year.

#3,298      
So that's done. What does ideal (but realistic) look like now:

Frazier, Kiir, and "any top 100 who wants to commit" otherwise get a 5th year to open a 2018?

I would rather we don't take any more 5th year guys, get a young guy even if they RS they still have a better chance to really help then any 5th year guys

#3,299      
Everything has seemed quiet on the Frazier front, as well as pretty much every other recruit not named Goodwin. Any word on the rest of the guys we are recruiting?

Status
Not open for further replies.