Illinois Hoops Recruiting Thread (July-August 2017)

Status
Not open for further replies.
#2,701      

icengineer

Southern Illinois
Landers Nolley discusses official visits, plans early decision

Illinois: “It’s up north, that’s where I lived for a year. They want me bad. I would play a lot of minutes as a freshman and the head coach calls me every day."

Nolley, who now ranks as the No. 57 overall prospect in the 2018 class, told Scout he’s on track to make his college choice during the early signing period.

http://scout.com/college/illinois/A...-discusses-official-visits-plans-ea-106627384

Is this the norm? Or a sign of how badly BU would like to have him on board?

#2,702      
Is this the norm? Or a sign of how badly BU would like to have him on board?

Don't know on the norm, but suspect it depends on the coach, his style, & the feel for how much the specific recruit wants to hear from the coach. Everyday might be needed for some kids & too much for other kids.

I think the other option on why is that BU is just putting in the work to keep us in the game & the question then becomes "how many recruits is he calling everyday, THT, Ayo, how many Bigs, any that aren't being discussed?

#2,703      

kuhl84

Orlando, FL
Yeah, one would have to be dead, comatose or absolutely ignorant not be thrilled with that class.

If Conditt is ready to pop, the only possible way I'd slow play him is if we decide we're a legit player (say 25% chance) for BPJ. And, even then, it probably isn't worth it.

I think everybody has given up on Colin way too early. If Florida really wanted him, the OV wouldn't be 10/15. If the visit goes well this weekend, there will be pressure for UF to take a commitment and I don't think they are ready to do that.

They need guards really badly (probably a PG and CG) and they are in good shape with multiple 4/5 types.

#2,706      
so looking at Scout that would be

#27 Ayo
#96 Nolley
#108 THT
#209 Conditt

The theory being they are a good fit for BU's system and are underrated by Scout?
Underwood has said he doesn't care about ratings. His recruiting so far corroborates his words.

These are good players, regardless where they are rated.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

#2,707      

#27 Ayo
#96 Nolley
#108 THT
#209 Conditt

The theory being they are a good fit for BU's system and are underrated by Scout?

Don't put a ton of stock in rankings man. There's really not a ton that separates kids ranked in the 40-60 range to the 100-120 range these days in my opinion.

#2,708      
At Sam Houston State, BU and his team made Huggins WVU team quit in the NCAA. So when he says he doesn't look at rankings, just how a player fits in his system I believe. His players and system has led to wins and points at a high rate.

#2,709      
Underwood has said he doesn't care about ratings. His recruiting so far corroborates his words.

These are good players, regardless where they are rated.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

A buddy of ours in high school said he did care about looks. Boy did he date some porkers. :peace:

#2,710      
At Sam Houston State, BU and his team made Huggins WVU team quit in the NCAA. So when he says he doesn't look at rankings, just how a player fits in his system I believe. His players and system has led to wins and points at a high rate.

BU also had a pretty good run with the Lumberjacks of Stephen F. Austin. To be fair he did have a border line NBA caliber player Thomas Walkup. Made it through four games of the preseason before being cut by the Bulls.

#2,712      

#27 Ayo
#96 Nolley
#108 THT
#209 Conditt

Landers is ranked higher in other service's rankings. I'm sure his avg ranking will be very good by the time all is said and done. Possibly top 50. THT is going to get into the top 100 sooner or later, he's trending up, check out his offer list. Conditt has some good offers too, but he is a project for sure. Also plays for a no name AAU team which may hurt his ranking. Rather have Castleton either way.

#2,713      

Stephan F. Austin right?

#2,714      

james81

North Carolina
Don't put a ton of stock in rankings man. There's really not a ton that separates kids ranked in the 40-60 range to the 100-120 range these days in my opinion.

+1 Think about it. What person has the skill to take 150 high school players, at different positions, watch them play a selected number of games against different levels of competition, and then rank their skill levels accurately from 1-150? Think of the NBA draft. In 2009 Curry was selected 7th. Hasheem Thabeet, who is now unemployed, was taken 2nd.

#2,717      

TownieMatt

CU Expat
Chicago
Look at offers, not rankings. College coaches are far better evaluators than anyone at the scouting services.

#2,719      

mattcoldagelli

The Transfer Portal
Look at offers, not rankings. College coaches are far better evaluators than anyone at the scouting services.

But let's not forget who is best of all: message board posters ready to serve up a "_____ says hello!" at a moment's notice.

#2,720      
Scout ranks him 57. He's ranked 96 per 247 composite.

http://www.scout.com/Player/Landers-Nolley-46035894

All the rankings I quoted were actually 247 composite rather than Scout. For many of us the only quasi-objective info we have is the rankings. Personally, I think the numerical rankings are stupid. Simply looking at stars is easier:

5 star - All but a couple will turn out as great college players
4 star - Should be a good college player especially on the right team
3 star - Might be a good college player, ask again in 4 years. Some three stars turn out to be phenomenal, some don't and have a hard time getting on the court.
2 star - Major project, occasional diamond in the rough

#2,721      
Re: KN vs MS

"I think he’s going to do it but he’s got to go out and actually do it."
-Jack Nicklaus on Tiger breaking his record

#2,723      

james81

North Carolina
All the rankings I quoted were actually 247 composite rather than Scout. For many of us the only quasi-objective info we have is the rankings. Personally, I think the numerical rankings are stupid. Simply looking at stars is easier:

5 star - All but a couple will turn out as great college players
4 star - Should be a good college player especially on the right team
3 star - Might be a good college player, ask again in 4 years. Some three stars turn out to be phenomenal, some don't and have a hard time getting on the court.
2 star - Major project, occasional diamond in the rough

:thumb: Great way to think about star ratings.

#2,724      
He has said something to this effect fairly recently.

Either way, let's give MS a chance to go out and do it before we debate his legacy.

#2,725      

sacraig

The desert
You're looking at this debate from a completely different point of view.

So I stand by my point that publicity wise Nunn was a bigger get.

Holy. Moly. Let it go. The rest of us did like 24 hours ago.

673.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.