Illinois Hoops Recruiting Thread (June 2019)

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheAngryBavarian

Charleston/Collinsville
Other names this thread isn't focusing on that we have seemingly made priorities:
-Andre Curbelo
-Luke Kasubke
-Puff Johnson
-Jaylin Williams

We need a PG, probably another shooting/combo guard, and a big.
Don't know much about the other 3, but when he's at his best, Kasubke might be the best St. Louis has to offer (Love and Cam'Ron Fletcher are consistently better, but Kasubke has the occasional game where he looks like a poor man's Luka Doncic).

Personally, based on interviews I've seen and what the insiders are saying, we still have a shot at both Steward and Love. Seems like both are interested in playing for higher profile schools (blue bloods or at least programs with more recent success). Nimari consistently mentions U of I in his interviews, but he always throws in multiple disclaimers which tamper expectations. Sounds like he's just attempting to be nice and is more interested in some of his other options. Both recruitments feel a lot like Liddell's in the sense that they never really seemed too keen on the Illini, and yet are branded as heavy Illini leans by the Illini media. We finished 3rd in the Liddell sweepstakes.

Personally, I think the staff lands Miller, Curbelo, Kalkbrenner, and a dark horse or two (another guard and a wing). I think Puff and Kasubke are seriously in play. We are going to have 5-6 schollies to fill, so it should be a busy fall. I would hate to burn OVs on guys like Nimari who, frankly, never expressed a lot of interest. Steward is worth a OV, but I don't think he'll sign.

On a related note, Howard is of concern for some of the Chicago recruits. I think Miller will listen when UM comes knocking.

Everyone's finally come to terms that our class is Kofi, and Kouma. Nothing left to discuss. Especially, since we may be out of visits.

To throw a wrinkle in the visit talk... schools can request up to 25% additional visits following a coaching change.

I bet we get one more. Probably an overseas recruit. Maybe that really good player from Belgium. (Can’t recall name) Should end up a great class.

There's zero chance Steward goes to UI. Meanstreets. Enough said.

Speaking about Meanstreets, DJ Williams is grad transferring from George Washington. Coming home??

Last edited:
Luke Kasubke
Don't know much about the other 3, but when he's at his best, Kasubke might be the best St. Louis has to offer (Love and Cam'Ron Fletcher are consistently better, but Kasubke has the occasional game where he looks like a poor man's Luka Doncic).

Kasubke family has been big Illinois fans, he should be someone we can get

Speaking about Meanstreets, DJ Williams is grad transferring from George Washington. Coming home??

Though the leading scorer for GW, he only shot 40% from the field, 30% from 3. Not sure he would want to take the chance to spend his year behind Kipper, Tev and Alan.

All signs are pointing to DePaul.

DJ Steward planning on taking visits to Louisville, IU, Illinois, and Florida this summer. Unsure which will be UV or OV.

His Texas OV is this weekend.

Courier

C
Something of note for Illinois. AJ Casey, in my opinion the best player in Illinois regardless of class, is transferring from Simeon to Tinley Park. That's a good thing for Illinois as I don't see UI getting another Simeon player for a long time. The bad thing is that he's also on Meanstreets, or was last year.

Am i alone in believing Kalkbrenner might possibly sign with us on his upcoming visit?? Two visits in 3 months sounds promising to me..what do all you wise men think??

Am i alone in believing Kalkbrenner might possibly sign with us on his upcoming visit?? Two visits in 3 months sounds promising to me..what do all you wise men think??

I think he’s going to wait until the fall signing period to commit. The plan is for him to take all 5 OV’s as well.

His stock is really rising fast.

Something of note for Illinois. AJ Casey, in my opinion the best player in Illinois regardless of class, is transferring from Simeon to Tinley Park. That's a good thing for Illinois as I don't see UI getting another Simeon player for a long time. The bad thing is that he's also on Meanstreets, or was last year.
Better than christe

Status
Not open for further replies.