Illinois Hoops Recruiting Thread (June 2019)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Saw Curbelo at the Nike Hoop Summit, strikes me as a player you win a lot of games with. Grounded, goid fundamentals, unselfish. Reminds me of the Wichita St/ Toronto/Rockford player in style, size, body type.

jmilt7

Waukegan
Blackshear’s final three: Kentucky, Tennessee and Texas A&M. Decision could come tomorrow. I am reading it will likely be Tennessee

TheAngryBavarian

Charleston/Collinsville
A bit of a lowball offer, but I wonder if we're looking at 2020 PG Ray'Sean Taylor. Not an elite athlete, but great court vision and scoring ability at all 3 levels, averaged 21 ppg as a jr last year playing in the same conference as EJ Liddell and Terrance Hargrove. Wouldn't be a number 1 option, but I see no reason why he's any more of a reach than Taylor Bruninga or Matt Chastain.

#3 in white

#13 in White

sacraig

The desert
A bit of a lowball offer, but I wonder if we're looking at 2020 PG Ray'Sean Taylor. Not an elite athlete, but great court vision and scoring ability at all 3 levels, averaged 21 ppg as a jr last year playing in the same conference as EJ Liddell and Terrance Hargrove. Wouldn't be a number 1 option, but I see no reason why he's any more of a reach than Taylor Bruninga or Matt Chastain.

#3 in white

#13 in White

As much as I'd like to see another player from my hometown suit up for the O&B, I'm not sure we are going to get where we want to be again by going after these guys.

TheAngryBavarian

Charleston/Collinsville

#3 in white

#13 in White
Sorry about this one, y'all. I should have known better. I like him, but as SACRAIG said, not who we want. Wish him the best, unless he's playing against us. May he do awesome at Wright State.

Hard sell for a kid who is going to get very little time. But, yeah, critical for 2020. Case can be made for taking 2 PGs (athough Frazier will almost for sure eat most of the 2nd PG minutes). Curbelo would be an awesome 2nd PG get, but it'll be a hard sell.

I was for a guard before we knew what would happen with Ayo. And even after Ayo made his decision to stay, I would expect we'd have already identified guys that we wanted. We see guys commit to other programs when there's talent ahead of them, so while I recognize it's a factor, I still think we should be able to find guys we want.

Btw, it's not a criticism of the staff --I trust the direction their going with. It just seemed like a bigger need to me from my seat. Guard's have always had an out-sized impact on the college game.

Deleted member 643761

D
I was for a guard before we knew what would happen with Ayo. And even after Ayo made his decision to stay, I would expect we'd have already identified guys that we wanted. We see guys commit to other programs when there's talent ahead of them, so while I recognize it's a factor, I still think we should be able to find guys we want.

Btw, it's not a criticism of the staff --I trust the direction their going with. It just seemed like a bigger need to me from my seat. Guard's have always had an out-sized impact on the college game.

A big part of the success of a college program is being able to recruit guys in when there's competition. Winning helps, but I think some coaches are just able to draw guys in regardless of the talent that players are going to compete against for minutes.

We've had some good success with sit one guys. All in on him filling the last roster spot. Would like the grad transfer kid from Boston, but if the staff doesn't think he's going to impact the team heavily, we probably have enough redundant parts to live without him.

jmilt7

Waukegan
One of the strong AAU programs in the state is the Illinois Wolves. The Illini were able to offer a few players from this program a scholarship, one of which included Louis Lesmond.
Lesmond is a 6-foot-6, 175-pound shooting guard from Evanston Township High School in Evanston, Illinois. He isn’t rated by recruiting sites but MaxPreps has him as the No. 96 player in the class of 2021 and the No. 6 player in the state of Illinois. That would make him a solid four-star recruit.

It has been a long journey for Lesmond. He started out playing in France and suited up for their U16 national team back in 2018. Lesmond finished the tournament averaging 6.3 points and 1.4 rebounds per game.

Illinois basketball was strong with their offers to in-state recruits this weekend

Status
Not open for further replies.