Illinois Hoops Recruiting Thread (June 2019)

Status
Not open for further replies.
So that post on the front page makes it look like Kouma Is on campus for good and is cleared to play. Even though we just heard yesterday is not. Anybody have any idea what’s going on

I believe Piper reported that Kouma is on his official visit today and will be the final OV until August 1st. Still no clear indication when he can enroll. Hopefully before Italy.

Edit to add link: Piper Story

So that post on the front page makes it look like Kouma Is on campus for good and is cleared to play. Even though we just heard yesterday is not. Anybody have any idea what’s going on

International student transcripts are really tricky for the NCAA. Kouma just came to the U.S. in 2016 and of course, Verdonk has no U.S. high school exposure.

drsmitty74

Rochester
Maybe this is a dumb question, but, why are we using an OV for Kouma when he has already signed? I get it that he just signed financial paperwork to secure his scholarship, but just seems like an OV waste to me.

Maybe this is a dumb question, but, why are we using an OV for Kouma when he has already signed? I get it that he just signed financial paperwork to secure his scholarship, but just seems like an OV waste to me.
I would agree, but he stated he was going to OV after he committed. It's probably a courtesy by the staff. If they were really hurting for OVs (i.e. they had multiple irons in the fire), I think they could've talked him out of it.

That being said, it's hard to imagine Addison Patterson suiting up for the illini next season after this news. I was holding out hope he would be our final OVer. It's been quiet on that front anyways.

The Recruit

The Eternal Optimist
Denver, CO

I believe there was an article recently posted in which it states OV's must be used by July 5, as evaluation and dead periods begin after that (before they reset on August 1). My guess is there isn't really anyone else in the pipe if they are willing to use it on Kouma (the other being used by Donnie Tillman), but that is pure speculation on my part. I would love to be wrong, but this seems to be the most logical explanation since I believe it is a "use it or lose it" situation.

I believe there was an article recently posted in which it states OV's must be used by July 5, as evaluation and dead periods begin after that (before they reset on August 1). My guess is there isn't really anyone else in the pipe if they are willing to use it on Kouma (the other being used by Donnie Tillman), but that is pure speculation on my part. I would love to be wrong, but this seems to be the most logical explanation since I believe it is a "use it or lose it" situation.

You Sir have had some impressive messages for just 23 posts. Keep it up, good stuff!!

Use it or lose it, indeed. For all of the hand-wringing about OVs on this board, I feel like it would be negligent if they didn't use all of them in a given cycle.

Also, if an OV is the way we can get Kouma on campus and in contact with staff in advance of NCAA clearance, IMO it's not a waste.

Why doesn't Anthony Davis waive his $4MM trade clause so the Lakers can afford another max contract? Because he doesn't and shouldn't have to.

Heard Steward really enjoyed the visit today. Was able to catch up with Ayo and meet all of the guys on the team. Was even able to grab a few pics with some of the kids at the camp which was very nice of him to take the time to do.

His Dad was very impressed with the upgrades to the facilities. He is planning on taking another visit whether it be an official or unofficial TBD before he announces.

He also just arrived in Louisville for his visit there tomorrow.

At the end of the podcast I listened to earlier, Piper or Werner gave a hint about a new name coming up next week. Anyone know anything?

illini80

Forgottonia
Use it or lose it, indeed. For all of the hand-wringing about OVs on this board, I feel like it would be negligent if they didn't use all of them in a given cycle.

Also, if an OV is the way we can get Kouma on campus and in contact with staff in advance of NCAA clearance, IMO it's not a waste.
Wait, I thought it was a 2 year rolling number on the OV limit. If that were the case, we certainly could of saved it for later. Did that change when they increased the number?

ILLINIShox24

Orange Krush '04 & '05
At the end of the podcast I listened to earlier, Piper or Werner gave a hint about a new name coming up next week. Anyone know anything?

0440's post yesterday seems to indicate he knows something :unsure:. Then again he seems to know everything more often than not.

While that is true but not for this particular recruit. All I’ll say is that the week is still young.

Heard Steward really enjoyed the visit today. Was able to catch up with Ayo and meet all of the guys on the team. Was even able to grab a few pics with some of the kids at the camp which was very nice of him to take the time to do.

His Dad was very impressed with the upgrades to the facilities. He is planning on taking another visit whether it be an official or unofficial TBD before he announces.

He also just arrived in Louisville for his visit there tomorrow.

What upgrades?

the national

the Front Range
View attachment 4582

First person who can name every person in this photo gets $1.

giphy.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.