Illinois Hoops Recruiting Thread (June 2020)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Respectfully disagree. Without Ayo, I think we have the potential to be a Top 25/top-6-seed team. With Ayo, we have the potential to win the Big Ten, be a Top 10 team, and a realistic shot at a final four.

To me, that’s the whole goal. I’ll trade a better chance at future five-stars for a season like that all day, every day.

Also, if we go to the Final Four as a Top Ten team, followed by junior Ayo, sophomore Kofi, and freshman Miller all going to the nba... I don’t think it’s going to work against us in recruiting that it took Ayo three years.

I’ll be happy for him, but Ayo staying is absolutely “what’s best for us”.
This. Villanova is proof that developing guys and winning leads to better guys coming to your program...

The thing is, that doesn't appear to be the case currently. A number of projections lately have had him back in the first round. Of course, this is why I prefaced my original post on the topic with "if he is told he will go in the first round."
Do you have any examples? I'm curious since I googled and the first 3 mocks I saw didn't have him in the 1st + I'm too lazy to keep digging.

Jeremy Woo, UI Grad and Southside of Chicago and SI 5.0 Mock Draft does not have AD in the first 2 rounds. It was dated 6/3/2020.

Last edited:
Respectfully disagree. Without Ayo, I think we have the potential to be a Top 25/top-6-seed team. With Ayo, we have the potential to win the Big Ten, be a Top 10 team, and a realistic shot at a final four.

To me, that’s the whole goal. I’ll trade a better chance at future five-stars for a season like that all day, every day.

Also, if we go to the Final Four as a Top Ten team, followed by junior Ayo, sophomore Kofi, and freshman Miller all going to the nba... I don’t think it’s going to work against us in recruiting that it took Ayo three years.

I’ll be happy for him, but Ayo staying is absolutely “what’s best for us”.
If we do win the Big and go the the FF, will it be safe to say Brad did it with Groce's players? JK

I'll reiterate here that I said my whole position was predicated on Ayo getting a first round grade. By that, I don't mean a by a bunch of internet prognosticators, but by actual NBA scouts/execs. I have no inside information on their thinking.

Forgottonia
Did I miss something with Kofi or has there been a change?
No. Consensus seems to be he’s coming back, but nothing official that I’ve seen.

While we and I’m sure the staff would like an answer, there is little reason for him to make a final decision until he has to.

No. Consensus seems to be he’s coming back, but nothing official that I’ve seen.

While we and I’m sure the staff would like an answer, there is little reason for him to make a final decision until he has to.
There was just talk there was going to be an announcement today. So was just curious.

The Ayo draft thing continues to be very fluid. It will continue even after the actual draft as he will then start active UDFA negotiations. Anybody that thinks different doesn't understand the whole professional scenario. I guess the one thing that can be ruled out is no China/Europe/Russia or overseas.

What's allowed? We know that he is in C/U. Is he allowed to workout with the team if his name is still in the draft? Can he use the facilities? Work with the coaches?

What's allowed? We know that he is in C/U. Is he allowed to workout with the team if his name is still in the draft? Can he use the facilities? Work with the coaches?
I guess my question would be if he's declared for the draft, what does that do to his scholarship???....Is it still in effect until he enters the draft or is he no longer on scholarship at UI???? When does a scholarship officially end???

I guess my question would be if he's declared for the draft, what does that do to his scholarship???....Is it still in effect until he enters the draft or is he no longer on scholarship at UI???? When does a scholarship officially end???
He is currently using our facility, and working out. He is participating in voluntary workouts as of now.
I have reason to believe his announcement will be coming sooner rather than later.
However I do know he would like to get some front office interviews and workouts in before the deadline however feedback suggest that will not happen.
I dont have a date he is announcing, but from what I've been told very soon.
As far as scholarship he is still technically on scholarship as he has not hired an agent and maintains his eligibility. He will be on scholarship until he A. Hires and agent, or B does not withdraw by the deadline.
However I believe our staff would have pushed heavier for a big man in the portal or reclass if they thought his scholarship was going to be open.

Is JaQuan Scott someone they are still interested in having? See the offer and he is a 6’8” power forward. Not highly rated and wonder if he is back burner guy.

Forgottonia
I applaud and think this is a good thing for the community and the University. Sadly, it will likely forever be a shadow of it’s former self.

Status
Not open for further replies.