Illinois Hoops Recruiting Thread (June 2020)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not saying I doubt you since I know nothing on the subject, but just to point something out. Just because someone does something for a living, doesn't mean that you shouldn't ever doubt them on that subject. There are plenty people who are awful at their jobs but still get paid....

I don't disagree with that but I have been a rad for both professional and division I athletes and you don't get to do that by sucking at your job.

skyIdub

Winged Warrior
Yes Please!

giphy.gif

Gonna have to go with Piper since Sturdy blocked me on twitter for asking him to justify something he was wrong on. Werner is great.

Sturdy does real good on rivals. Piper was GREAT with Tilmon, Smith, Goodwin, Ayo, and THT recruitments. This past year or so he has slipped a bit. He doesn't get into the juicy info as much and is more cautious.

This has to mean he and his family are hearing something good from the right people. This is nothing but great news!

Next man up! Let this begin a trend!

This is what I'm wondering as well. I'm sure Ayo and his people are privy to feedback and communications from NBA people on his outlook that we are not (aka the million different mock drafts). He seems like a really smart kid with smart people around him, so I'm wishfully thinking he must be fairly confident a team is going to draft him...with that said, I think I'll feel better about this if we see him invited to the combine.

...with that said, I think I'll feel better about this if we see him invited to the combine.
I think this is more than fair, personally I’m not putting much into going or staying rumors until after combine. It is clear he wants to go pro, but there is so much uncertainty right now & it just seems like everything is subject to change.

Sturdy does real good on rivals. Piper was GREAT with Tilmon, Smith, Goodwin, Ayo, and THT recruitments. This past year or so he has slipped a bit. He doesn't get into the juicy info as much and is more cautious.

Staff, especially Chin, loves to mess with Werner/Piper. They send them down the wrong hole intentionally. :)

Nope , its bittersweet for sure but I wish him the best I'll only be saddened if he doesnt get drafted

Ayo is far better off not being drafted in the back half of the 2nd round because he is limited to negotiating with that specific team, whereas if he goes UDFA he can negotiate with all 30 teams. Late second round does not have guaranteed money also. One has to look no further than Kendrick Nunn as a perfect example of that theory.

Agreed. But I'd rather wait a week to find info than pay someone who can't handle a question or two they don't like. ::Shrugs::

JJE

Bethalto, IL
I had a subscription with 247. Werner and Piper are great. I always found their recruiting nuggets to be worth it.

Ayo is far better off not being drafted in the back half of the 2nd round because he is limited to negotiating with that specific team, whereas if he goes UDFA he can negotiate with all 30 teams. Late second round does not have guaranteed money also. One has to look no further than Kendrick Nunn as a perfect example of that theory.

Can you elaborate on how you think Nunn's situation applies?

I would think a draftee would be in a narrow range based on position, the rookie scale, and the salaries of the similarly drafted players in prior years. Last year was about $1.6 mil for a one year deal for the 30th pick, and the league minimum is about $900k. I wouldn't expect much leverage in that situation given how those salaries drop off and the relative value of those players. Further --if a team drafts a player because they have a much higher view of said player, going undrafted is more likely to mean no contract. As far as guarantees, it's actually pretty common for 2nd rounders to have those. Was reading an article that looked at 6 years of 2nd rounders and found 75% structure their deals that way. Finally, as a practical matter, how many 2nd rounders shun their final offers --seems unlikely, although I don't have data on it.

sacraig

The desert
There are only 10 kinds of people in the world -
Those who understand binary, and those who don't.
But this could translate to either 2 or 1 depending on the endianness of the system.

Status
Not open for further replies.