Illinois Hoops Recruiting Thread (June 2020)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jeremy Woo, UI Grad and Southside of Chicago and SI 5.0 Mock Draft does not have AD in the first 2 rounds. It was dated 6/3/2020.

Last edited:

Deleted member 8896

D
Jeremy Woo, UI Grad and Southside of Chicago and SI 5.0 Mock Draft does not have AD in the first 2 rounds. It was dated 6/3/2020.
I have not seen anything with Ayo going in the first round either.

Sad for Ayo and Kofi that they could not showcase their skills in the tourney and get selected in this draft. Covid - 19 destroyed a lot of plans. Next season could be a loaded team here. I already miss Alan Griffin.

Respectfully disagree. Without Ayo, I think we have the potential to be a Top 25/top-6-seed team. With Ayo, we have the potential to win the Big Ten, be a Top 10 team, and a realistic shot at a final four.

To me, that’s the whole goal. I’ll trade a better chance at future five-stars for a season like that all day, every day.

Also, if we go to the Final Four as a Top Ten team, followed by junior Ayo, sophomore Kofi, and freshman Miller all going to the nba... I don’t think it’s going to work against us in recruiting that it took Ayo three years.

I’ll be happy for him, but Ayo staying is absolutely “what’s best for us”.
If we do win the Big and go the the FF, will it be safe to say Brad did it with Groce's players? JK

sacraig

The desert
I'll reiterate here that I said my whole position was predicated on Ayo getting a first round grade. By that, I don't mean a by a bunch of internet prognosticators, but by actual NBA scouts/execs. I have no inside information on their thinking.

illini80

Forgottonia
Did I miss something with Kofi or has there been a change?
No. Consensus seems to be he’s coming back, but nothing official that I’ve seen.

While we and I’m sure the staff would like an answer, there is little reason for him to make a final decision until he has to.

No. Consensus seems to be he’s coming back, but nothing official that I’ve seen.

While we and I’m sure the staff would like an answer, there is little reason for him to make a final decision until he has to.
There was just talk there was going to be an announcement today. So was just curious.

The Ayo draft thing continues to be very fluid. It will continue even after the actual draft as he will then start active UDFA negotiations. Anybody that thinks different doesn't understand the whole professional scenario. I guess the one thing that can be ruled out is no China/Europe/Russia or overseas.

What's allowed? We know that he is in C/U. Is he allowed to workout with the team if his name is still in the draft? Can he use the facilities? Work with the coaches?

I came on today specifically for that. Oh well
I like how the people who shared that info have been radio silent since yesterday. Nobody is mad at you, just come out and say what changed or that the rumors were just false.

Or don't, I'm not your boss

Last edited:
What's allowed? We know that he is in C/U. Is he allowed to workout with the team if his name is still in the draft? Can he use the facilities? Work with the coaches?

I guess my question would be if he's declared for the draft, what does that do to his scholarship???....Is it still in effect until he enters the draft or is he no longer on scholarship at UI???? When does a scholarship officially end???

I guess my question would be if he's declared for the draft, what does that do to his scholarship???....Is it still in effect until he enters the draft or is he no longer on scholarship at UI???? When does a scholarship officially end???
He is currently using our facility, and working out. He is participating in voluntary workouts as of now.
I have reason to believe his announcement will be coming sooner rather than later.
However I do know he would like to get some front office interviews and workouts in before the deadline however feedback suggest that will not happen.
I dont have a date he is announcing, but from what I've been told very soon.
As far as scholarship he is still technically on scholarship as he has not hired an agent and maintains his eligibility. He will be on scholarship until he A. Hires and agent, or B does not withdraw by the deadline.
However I believe our staff would have pushed heavier for a big man in the portal or reclass if they thought his scholarship was going to be open.

Is JaQuan Scott someone they are still interested in having? See the offer and he is a 6’8” power forward. Not highly rated and wonder if he is back burner guy.

illini80

Forgottonia
I applaud and think this is a good thing for the community and the University. Sadly, it will likely forever be a shadow of it’s former self.

College Coaches are able to contact 2022 recruits starting 12am this morning. Per UIHoopsrecruit Twitter, here is a list of some of the 2022 kids that Illinois has reached out to already.

Isaac McKneely - 6'4" SG
Gradey Dick - 6'7" SF
Colin Smith - 6'7" SF
Cason Wallace - 6'4" SG
Joseph Pinion - 6'6" SF
Fletcher Loyer - 6'5" SG
Mark Mitchell - 6'7" SF
Aiden Shaw
Ramel Llyod Jr.
Tamin Lipsey - 6'1" PG
Jaden Schutt - 6'5" SG
Michael Zanoni - 6'4" SG
Trey Pettigrew - 6'3" CG

Size and Position were pulled from 247. I couldn't find a couple of them!

Illini hoops extends offers to new 2022 targets

The Illini could have some beneficial connections in this one. Lloyd trains with Julius V and you can see him working with priority 2021 target Alex Tchikou in the video. Julius spoke with Illini Inquirer last week about the staff’s involvement with Tchikou and what he called ‘one of the best Zooms we had’.

Lloyd's father, Ramel Lloyd Sr., is from New York and he was a Parade All-American at Cardinal Hayes High School in the Bronx. Illini assistant Orlando Antigua starred at St. Raymond High School in the Bronx. Lloyd and Antigua both played professionally in the Dominican Republic and they were members of the Harlem Globetrotters.

https://247sports.com/college/illin...Jr-Kelel-Ware-2023-Brandon-Gardner-148188873/

This article also talks about Kelel Ware - 6'10" PF and Brandon Gardner - 6'7" SF.

College Coaches are able to contact 2022 recruits starting 12am this morning. Per UIHoopsrecruit Twitter, here is a list of some of the 2022 kids that Illinois has reached out to already.

Isaac McKneely - 6'4" SG
Gradey Dick - 6'7" SF
Colin Smith - 6'7" SF
Cason Wallace - 6'4" SG
Joseph Pinion - 6'6" SF
Fletcher Loyer - 6'5" SG
Mark Mitchell - 6'7" SF
Aiden Shaw
Ramel Llyod Jr.
Tamin Lipsey - 6'1" PG
Jaden Schutt - 6'5" SG
Michael Zanoni - 6'4" SG
Trey Pettigrew - 6'3" CG

Size and Position were pulled from 247. I couldn't find a couple of them!

Adding 247 composite rating and ranking for those who had them. Found a couple based on assumed spelling mistakes:

Isaac McKneely - 6'4" SG - NR
Gradey Dick - 6'7" SF - Nat. 24, .9869, 4*
Colin Smith - 6'7" SF - Nat. 79, .9335, 4*
Cason Wallace - 6'4" SG - NR
Joseph Pinion - 6'6" SF - NR
Fletcher Loyer - 6'5" SG - NR
Mark Mitchell - 6'7" SF - Nat. 19, .9925, 5*
Aidan Shaw - 6'7" SF - Nat. 51, .9779, 4*
Ramel Lloyd Jr. - 6'6" SF - Nat. 70, .9684, 4*
Tamin Lipsey - 6'1" PG - Nat. 91, .8838, 3*
Jaden Schutt - 6'5" SG - NR
Michael Zanoni - 6'4" SG - NR
Trey Pettigrew - 6'3" CG - NR

Adding 247 composite rating and ranking for those who had them. Found a couple based on assumed spelling mistakes:
Thanks for the research soupy. Here is the same list sorted by position, and reformatted to make scanning easier.

Ramel Lloyd Jr.- 6'6" SF - Nat. 70, .9684, 4*

It is interesting that almost all of the SF recruits are ranked and none of the SG recruits. Is that a property of HS Sophomores in general?

Thanks for the research soupy. Here is the same list sorted by position, and reformatted to make scanning easier.

Ramel Lloyd Jr.- 6'6" SF - Nat. 70, .9684, 4*

It is interesting that almost all of the SF recruits are ranked and none of the SG recruits. Is that a property of HS Sophomores in general?

The Forum text editor respects fixed width font spacing. The Forum renderer does not. Oh well.

Status
Not open for further replies.