Illinois Hoops Recruiting Thread (March 2017)

Status
Not open for further replies.
#1,426      

TownieMatt

CU Expat
Chicago
Kentucky visiting Smith next Thursday.

Have to think they'll offer on this visit. No sense getting in on him this late otherwise. No one said this would be an easy one.

Regardless, we've now got indications that all our signed recruits are on board. Smith would be great, but confirming those guys is a huge win on its own.

#1,428      
Already recruiting over him....

Smith will have to be really, really good to get much PT at Kentucky & their one & done MCDonald boys, & their will be more coming every year.
Frankly, I'm happy with our four guys & "IF" Smith comes fine.
As I have stated before, class balance IMO is overrated, but if Smith doesn't come, it just might put us on the path to "class balance".

#1,429      

Illini_1979

Oregon
Have to think they'll offer on this visit. No sense getting in on him this late otherwise. No one said this would be an easy one.

Regardless, we've now got indications that all our signed recruits are on board. Smith would be great, but confirming those guys is a huge win on its own.

I say bring it on! UK, MSU, etc., etc. I have confidence that BU can beat these guys and bring Mr. Smith home where he belongs! :illinois:

#1,432      
I thanks needs to go to Groce for this class. Whitman's plan worked well with Underwood and retaining Walker. Would love to have M Smith and another 6-10 leaper. If no Smith we really need two of those type of big men.

Plenty of MCAA haven't committed, I'm sure Kentucky and Kansas get more of these uncommitted players. I'm wondering if Calipari's offer will be conditional. He already has a MCAA PG and SG in the class to go along with Briscoe. Fox and Monk likely go pro. MSU is the team that scares me the most, but they have come in really late. We have a lot of guards but Underwood can make it easier for Smith by saying he is projected to get major minutes from day one. Many coaches don't like to do this, they want the young guys to earn the minutes.

Last edited:
#1,433      
Good to hear! Pickett is the sleeper in this class, he can fill it up from every level on the floor. He should thrive in this offense.

#1,435      
Good to hear! Pickett is the sleeper in this class, he can fill it up from every level on the floor. He should thrive in this offense.

I agree 100% Pickett is a special player and he is going to surprise a lot of ILLINOIS fans soon with his talent.

Very excited to have him aboard for a great ride.:illinois:

#1,438      

mhuml32

Cincinnati, OH
The longer this drags out the more it feels like Smith is going anywhere but Illinois. If Underwood can beat back the Michigan States and Kentuckys of the world for his first recruit at UI, that would be encouraging.

It's actually probably very beneficial. Underwood apparently is going to keep the class. Now he gets to "practice," so to speak, taking on the Big Boys on a recruit we really want but isn't necessarily do-or-die. Lose out and you don't feel too devastated, and you can take what you learned and use it for the next round. Win and you get Smith, and beat some big names in doing it.

He made an announcement a while back about deciding on April 12th. I wouldn't say he's dragging things out.

#1,439      

Deleted member 346957

D
All four of Pickett, Williams, Frazier and Tilmon have reaffirmed their commitment, right?

#1,446      
Kiss Smith goodbye, He's going to Kentucky. Yes he is definitely good enough to not only get pt there, but to start. I remember this board saying Ulis would have a fun time riding pine at UK. We all saw how that turned out.

Ulis, from what I can tell, was the #20 ranked recruit in his class (or thereabouts). Smith is obviously a very good player whose stock has skyrocketed, but he is still a far cry from that. He also happened to grow up an Illini fan. Not sure I see a direct comparison there.

#1,447      
Kiss Smith goodbye, He's going to Kentucky. Yes he is definitely good enough to not only get pt there, but to start. I remember this board saying Ulis would have a fun time riding pine at UK. We all saw how that turned out.

That's ridiculous if they can come in this late and get him. I still think we have a good chance. He has absolutely no relationship with anyone there I don't think he goes there but we will see

#1,448      
Smith doesn't fit the role of a Kentucky player. He'll be recruited-over there. Michigan State makes a lot more sense to me.

#1,449      

illinimike

Wheaton, IL
Pickett on board is great news.

We have a mix of soft and hard reaffirmations from every one of our recruits. Let me see hands: who thought that would be the case when we learned Groce was canned?

I honestly didn't think we'd get them all. I thought we'd miss on 1, maybe 2. I'm super excited that the coaches were able to keep them all on board. :illinois:

Status
Not open for further replies.