Illinois Hoops Recruiting Thread (March 2017)

Status
Not open for further replies.
#1,451      
Smith doesn't fit the role of a Kentucky player. He'll be recruited-over there. Michigan State makes a lot more sense to me.
This line of thinking doesnt really hold up. Technically thats the case for every player. They just bring in more 5 stars every year. They dont care, they think just going to UK gets them to the NBA.

#1,452      
Hooping34.........

Well I'll be sure to pass that info along to Smith's camp......

while I'm sure the Smiths have lots to think about......I'd hope that random fan comments would not be on the list.

He has a tough decision in front of him......I wish him good luck in thinking through the process.

#1,453      

illinimike

Wheaton, IL
I think people are misunderstanding the article. He's going to see his doctor April 5 to find out when he can start running. IMO the "can't wait until June" was in reference to moving to Champaign and starting classes.

That's how I took it as well. My wife is a PT and said that generally it takes about 12 weeks for an ACL tear to get to the point where they can return to jogging and about 16 weeks for jumping. Of course everyone's recovery can vary.

#1,454      

Dbell1981

Decatur, IL
I really don't understand some people on this thread. On one hand they say Mark Smith is a sure fire can't miss that we can't let slip away (which is what I think)and then they will say he will ride the pine in Kentucky. Really??? The man is obviously super talented to jump to Mr.Basketball in Illinois in his first year focusing on basketball!!! So let me say: Mr Smith, we would be delighted and honored to see you represent the Illini!!! Need to see you in orange and blue.

#1,455      
I agree 100% Pickett is a special player and he is going to surprise a lot of ILLINOIS fans soon with his talent.

Very excited to have him aboard for a great ride.:illinois:

Can anyone tell me about his game? I've heard "Malcolm Hill 2.0", but lets slow our roll on that one. He's smaller and much lower ranked than Hill was as a high schooler.

Whats his game? Jack of all trades with a good midgame range and decent athleticism (Hill)?

Can someone give me a better breakdown of this kids game?

#1,456      
while I'm sure the Smiths have lots to think about......I'd hope that random fan comments would not be on the list.

He has a tough decision in front of him......I wish him good luck in thinking through the process.

Jeezus, ain't that the truth. It can't be easy for Smith and others, add on top of it a bunch of idiotic​ message board posters who don't no crap about anything. BU, the coaches, and 99.99% of Illini fans want Smith to join this great recruiting class. #FabFive2017

#1,457      
Jeezus, ain't that the truth. It can't be easy for Smith and others, add on top of it a bunch of idiotic​ message board posters who don't no crap about anything. BU, the coaches, and 99.99% of Illini fans want Smith to join this great recruiting class. #FabFive2017

Add a quality big and they'll be the Special Six!

#1,459      
Add a quality big and they'll be the Special Six!

I'm still crossing my fingers that Kiir asks out of his LOI at VCU and opens back up. He fits what we need and I think playing alongside Tilmon every day in practice would be great for both him and JT.

#1,460      

Trakis

Chicago, IL
I'm still crossing my fingers that Kiir asks out of his LOI at VCU and opens back up. He fits what we need and I think playing alongside Tilmon every day in practice would be great for both him and JT.

Is there any reason to believe he would do that? I don't think Underwood ever recruited him.

#1,461      

That would be ideal. Me likey!

#1,462      
Kiss Smith goodbye, He's going to Kentucky. Yes he is definitely good enough to not only get pt there, but to start. I remember this board saying Ulis would have a fun time riding pine at UK. We all saw how that turned out.

He may get PT or start, but if you go by ratings, which some on this board are married to, he will not start. Kentucky already has the no. 1 recruiting class including a highly ranked point guard & a highly ranked combo guard & are in on other players rated higher than Smith. I do not think Smith is a priority for them. In fact, if Kentucky gets another one of its targets it is very possible the Smith/kentucky visit never happens.
I'm really not going overboard on Smith, though I'd like to have him, but I think our situation at the guard spot looks pretty solid.
I think MSU is a greater threat, but I don't have any idea where he stands with MSU. They want to sign two more players & are "hoping" Bowen is one of them, & then they have a couple other high profile possibilities that seem to be ahead of Smith.
Take him, if we can get him, &/or look for a big.

#1,464      

BirdDog9048

The Chief Lives
Chicago, IL
Can anyone tell me about his game? I've heard "Malcolm Hill 2.0", but lets slow our roll on that one. He's smaller and much lower ranked than Hill was as a high schooler.

Whats his game? Jack of all trades with a good midgame range and decent athleticism (Hill)?

He's not smaller. There's a picture from about a year ago of the two of them standing next to each other, and they are the same height. At the moment, he's probably not as muscular as Hill was this year, but it's unfair to compare 17/18 year old Pickett to 21 year old Malcolm.

His game is rather similar to Malcolm's in that he can score from all three levels. And by most accounts I've heard, he's got some bulldog in him.

Edit: https://www.instagram.com/p/BDJmrdWlQ-M/?hl=en

Last edited:
#1,465      
If he asked out of his LOI, I think LSU would be more likely than here.

Any reason as to why? Just location? I understand Underwood didn't recruit him at OK St, but say he does ask out of his LOI. Underwood would have to be intrigued to know we were at least in his top 5 as well and keeping our 2017 class together gives Underwood some early credibility here IMO. Still talking about a hypothetical/long shot here though.

#1,466      
Kiss Smith goodbye, He's going to Kentucky. Yes he is definitely good enough to not only get pt there, but to start. I remember this board saying Ulis would have a fun time riding pine at UK. We all saw how that turned out.

Calm down lol, he has no idea where he's going. Shouldn't feel confident one way or another. He's feeling out his options as any kid should do. Personal feeling, he will want to stay closer to home.

#1,467      
Calm down lol, he has no idea where he's going. Shouldn't feel confident one way or another. He's feeling out his options as any kid should do. Personal feeling, he will want to stay closer to home.

- I've mentioned this a few times, I think he does know where he wants to go. He just wants to be 100% sure.

Last edited:
#1,469      

IlliniDent

Chicago, IL
Da'Monte mentioned on a local interview that he understood that a redshirt was a possibility.

I would not be against him and/or Pickett redshirting. I just feel that there will be a log of congestion at positions 1-3 and I think both players would benefit greatly from a year to improve/get healthy. Obviously, this is only true if they would not be regular players in the rotation.

#1,471      

PhillyIllini

Los Angeles
Any reason as to why? Just location? I understand Underwood didn't recruit him at OK St, but say he does ask out of his LOI. Underwood would have to be intrigued to know we were at least in his top 5 as well and keeping our 2017 class together gives Underwood some early credibility here IMO. Still talking about a hypothetical/long shot here though.

Will Wade, former VCU coach was just hired at LSU.

#1,472      
Ulis barely received playing time his first year. He was smart enough to let people leave and wait his turn. The reward for that was going to the NBA. This is something that is huge for the schools taking 5 star talent out of Illinois.

The lack of 5 star recruits from Chicago is simply based on the success of the previous kid. Illinois just recently got a player from Simeon and how did that turnout? That is what we have to deal with and correct.

On top of all of that, Ulis wasn't overlooked coming out of H.S. Of course, some were concerned about his lack of height, but he did participate in the McDonald's All American game.

#1,473      
Ulis is still nonstop pwning the haters: over his last 10 games he's averaging 12.0 pts, 8.4 ast, 3.3 reb, 1.4 stl. He may never be a star, but he's going to play ten years in the league as a decent starter/high-end backup.

#1,474      

CAHALL15

Central Illinois

The Hill comparison is fair. Pickett might be a slightly better 3pt shooter and while still being pretty thin, as was Hill in high school, he could be slightly more athletic. As noted by this more than year old photo, Pickett isn't shorter than Hill.

Attachments

• IMG_3278.jpg
    IMG_3278.jpg
    125.5 KB · Views: 774
Status
Not open for further replies.