Illinois Hoops Recruiting Thread (March 2018)

Status
Not open for further replies.
#2,701      

Deleted member 631370

D
Ryan Evan @illscoopRyan
21h21 hours ago
More Ryan Evan Retweeted Donnie Tillman
I spoke with my guy @dtwics about the latest with #illini target Courtney Ramey and Andres Feliz. Check it out

https://t.co/l1AQw0P8yC

Summary:
Courtney Ramey is going to be deciding during this dead period (by April 5th) on where he will be taking visits. If Illinois is not getting a visit, they will move on to Andres Feliz.

I really hope they don't slow play Feliz and then lose out on both. I still can't imagine Ramey is coming here.

But it appears that the staff is trying to get Feliz on campus here next weekend. So that's good news.

#2,702      
I really hope they don't slow play Feliz and then lose out on both. I still can't imagine Ramey is coming here.

But it appears that the staff is trying to get Feliz on campus here next weekend. So that's good news.

My thoughts exactly.

#2,703      

I could see if happen since we can afford to gamble on guards but I just don't see Ramey wanting to come here. It's a gamble putting the effort into Ramey and the staff has an obligation to try their best if they believe they can get a commitment, but I started questioning their realism when they lingered with De Sousa.

#2,704      
Finke, Black and Smith were all encouraged to stay. Not sure about TJL.

According to Finkes quote he stated the program decided not to renew his scholly. Sure didnt should like it was his choice at all. Finke flat out said Illinois will not renew his scholarship.

The staff must have confidence in our incoming class being better than him I guess.

Last edited:
#2,705      
Two thoughts to add to this very interesting discussion over the past two days.

The Illini really need another guard which is a duh. Ramey is a bulldog athlete and winner. But if Feliz can also pass and is an excellent shooter, I really have no preference. In BU offense, there is no PG, SG, SF, just guys who can handle and shoot. Who brings the ball up is irrelevant and the team will have, barring injury, enough good handlers and passers to get that done. Just need 5 guards to play all out defense and cover for injuries/illness/unforeseen.

Secondly, so many mention wanting 4 great players next class, but I don't see that happening because the mentioned players are not going to want to sit and watch. A roster of 13 who can play at a level to contend for B1G title leaves 4 or 5 unhappy campers. I like the players in the fold now but the need for the future is to get Jones or Hinson and build their games to big time level. I like GBez too and if he has the mentality, he could become a Kaminsky/Larry Bird mini-hybrid who we love. Another skilled PF would be nice, but 4 more contending at the SF, PF spots is not going to work. What so many propose, and quite understandably, is an all-star gathering of possibilities with whom the staff has talked. Just remember, there is not a single player on scholarship who does not want to play 25+ minutes a game. Only 5 or 6 will, so who gets to play and who is disappointed? Heck, Smith got that time and was still not satisfied. What needs to be done making certain that Alstork, Finke, Smith, and Lucas are all replaced with guys that can shoot the ball at a higher level. IMHO, that should not be difficult as collectively they were very poor shooters and that is the reason for the season. Kane and Ego can handle the defensive upgrade in the paint, while AYO, Griffin, and maybe Jones will offer help in the shooting dept My major concern is can whoever they sign defend and make shots? Looks like that is happening. As far as the 2019 class is concerned, BU will get those types, whoever they are. The Illini program is moving in the right direction...but next year is not going to bring a national title. It may be very entertaining though.

A last thought is something that disturbs me when I heard it when AYo signed. He mentioned being around for "a year or so". Just having that thought in his head shows poor thinking IMHO. He needs to set his goals to out of reach levels for the team. Then if the team reaches them, listen to his coaches, and only them, about what to do in the future.

Last edited:
#2,706      
Right, how is this so hard to understand? Underwood needs people who are less skill and finesse and more " I am going to rip the ball out of your dead hands". All of the kids who left were kids anyone would root for, repped ILL well.

That doesn't explain Lucas leaving.

#2,707      

Deleted member 631370

D
Right, how is this so hard to understand? Underwood needs people who are less skill and finesse and more " I am going to rip the ball out of your dead hands". All of the kids who left were kids anyone would root for, repped ILL well.

Jevon Carter and Sindarius Thornwell are the types of kids that exemplify the "culture" that I suspect Underwood is trying to build here. Tough as nails and strong-minded kids who do the little things and play with tenacity.

Some programs are finesse. Boeheim makes a living off of the rail-thin lengthy kids who are plus athletes and really disrupt the passing lanes. Perfect for his 2-3 zone. Others prioritize aggressive defense -- Cincinnati, Purdue, etc. That's what "culture" means to me. It's more than just style of play -- it's about a mindset.

#2,708      

sacraig

The desert
It was his choice. He put that in there to help his transfer case to play immediately. Coaches were fine with that line.

Probably more specifically, the split was amicable and our coaches are not vindictive people, so once Finke made clear his intent to transfer, they intentionally did not renew his scholarship in order to help him out. I'm sure that was all planned.

#2,709      
It was his choice. He put that in there to help his transfer case to play immediately. Coaches were fine with that line.

I am not sure how that statement will have any impact at all on whether or not a new program decides to play him or not. That seems silly to me as a reason a coach may or may not play a player. What coach would have that influence who he plays?

No matter what happened I hope it all works out for both sides

Last edited:
#2,712      

sacraig

The desert
He's a grad transfer, right?

Yes but he already started grad classes at UI and there also has to be some kind of major at any other school that isn't offered at UI. I suppose perhaps the NCAA might make exceptions if the scholarship simply isn't renewed.

#2,713      
Am I the only one who isn't particularly excited about this type of culture? Especially as we are watching Beilein and "finesse" Michigan play in the final 4 for a second time.

You gotta do what you do and do it well.

Underwood's teams executed wonderfully at SFA and OSU.

There's more than one way to win a basketball game.

And while Beilein teams generally do play finesse basketball, they had to get grimy to win tonight, a credit to their versatility.

Last edited:
#2,714      

Deleted member 631370

D
Am I the only one who isn't particularly excited about this type of culture? Especially as we are watching Beilein and "finesse" Michigan play in the final 4 for a second time.

I just think it is tough to consistently recruit 13 guys who play with this tough mindset and are also talented enough to win games.

Personally, I've loved watching Huggins teams for years, now. And especially the Press Virginia style of recent years. With the right athletes and the right attitude, that can be a very effective and very exciting style.

But then, look at Mick Cronin at Cincinnati. Terrific defense, but the offense is just painful to watch (at least before this season). Same coaching tree, but completely different style.

Frankly, winning is what matters. Whether it's Tony Bennett style, or Paul Westhead style. All things being equal, I'd rather win up tempo and with gritty kids. It makes the games more enjoyable. But winning is what it's ultimately about.

#2,715      

kuhl84

Orlando, FL
Illinois Hoops Recruiting Thread

According to Finkes quote he stated the program decided not to renew his scholly. Sure didnt should like it was his choice at all. Finke flat out said Illinois will not renew his scholarship.

The staff must have confidence in our incoming class being better than him I guess.

TC was correct. The statement was worded for specific NCAA rules regarding transfers by guys whose have already begun a Masters program.

Posted before I read all responses. For clarification, the only way he could transfer as a grad was for UI to non renew scholarship since he was already in a Grad program.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
#2,716      
Loyola's Krutwig is a 3 star freshman. My question is can OA coach up any of our bigs to play at that level as freshmen (or sophs)? They all look more athletic but they don't weigh 260#.

#2,717      
Yes but he already started grad classes at UI and there also has to be some kind of major at any other school that isn't offered at UI. I suppose perhaps the NCAA might make exceptions if the scholarship simply isn't renewed.

He could switch focus to another or different graduate degree from the one he started here at UI....as long as it was a program UI didn't offer.....don't think that this would be much of an issue

#2,718      
Loyola's Krutwig is a 3 star freshman. My question is can OA coach up any of our bigs to play at that level as freshmen (or sophs)? They all look more athletic but they don't weigh 260#.

Certainly they do and often....or at least I hope so. I remember our All-Star team of Little Guys level play doing pivot foot drills often...and that was 60 years ago when I was 10. However, so many of these African kids don't play at that age or get less than effective coaching and need to learn when they get serious. Then you get guys like Happ and Wagner who use it as a very effective weapon. Krutwig was obviously coached very well in his early years....and he also listened and adapted what they were telling him to do. Kid is not very athletic but makes up with it for being elite between the ears.

#2,719      
Okay, I can’t get the video to link, but go check this dunk out...I believe it was against Okoro and Liddell!

UIHoopsRecruits Retweeted
Movement Hoops
Movement Hoops
@MovementHoops
·
22h
2019 DJ Carton (@DJCarton) with the DUNK OF THE DAY ��������

#NY2LASND2K18

@ny2lasports @QuadCityElite
0:15

#2,722      
I would be happy with Feliz. I think everyone would be happy with Feliz, don't you?

If I'm Ayo and Trent, I'm sending Feliz a welcome card right now. Feliz is a pass first PG (6.1 APG) with good scoring ability. Plus he's a hard nosed player that takes pride in his defensive performance. He would guard the opponent's best guard every night something I'm sure Ayo and Trent don't want to have to concentrate on. Plus as a 21(July) year old, his game experience would be welcomed!!Bring it Andres.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.