Illinois Hoops Recruiting Thread (March 2018)

Status
Not open for further replies.
#2,726      
The only Juco ranking I can find has Feliz at #12 and Trice at #56. Are we being overly optimistic about their possible contribution?

#2,728      
Okoro video sounds somewhat promising for us, feel more comfortable getting him than everything being reported about Liddell so far. Feel like blue's will get Liddell, Okoro probably will depend on how we do this year. Immediate PT will be a given imo for his recruitment.

Both Liddell and Okoro will most likely be Fall recruits, so how we do this year is irrelevant. They know we did not do well last year, but good recruiters always get better than schools deserve based on just results.

Right now, Kansas is the school to look out for in the Okoro recruitment but their pursuit depends on other recruits as well.

#2,729      

kuhl84

Orlando, FL
Both Liddell and Okoro will most likely be Fall recruits, so how we do this year is irrelevant. They know we did not do well last year, but good recruiters always get better than schools deserve based on just results.

Right now, Kansas is the school to look out for in the Okoro recruitment but their pursuit depends on other recruits as well.

https://247sports.com/college/oregon/Bolt/Oregon-basketball-Dana-Altman-Francis-Okoro-116804389

Oregon visit. There is new chatter of 2018 reclass here and other places.

#2,730      

Where has it been reported that both or either fall recruits? Even if they are, the season may not be irrelevant, a recruit can always switch or change their minds right?:chief:

#2,731      
Give me Feliz, Jones and a JUCO big man or roll a scholly over. I’ll be a happy happy man all things considered.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#2,732      

illini80

Forgottonia
Where has it been reported that both or either fall recruits? Even if they are, the season may not be irrelevant, a recruit can always switch or change their minds right?:chief:

I've heard that mentioned many times, but never that either actually said they would sign in the fall. I think it is just being assumed.

#2,733      

I hope players don't but this has been true for a long time. I watched a replay of the 03 MDAA game and K Humpheres was committed to Duke and Charlie V to us. Neither of which happened. That actually made me think nothing really is 100% til class starts .

#2,734      

The vast majority of recruits in the Liddell-Okoro category sign in the Fall. Okoro has already said that he is looking forward to taking official visits and given that there is a limit (5), he is not talking about waiting to take visits next winter/spring.

You have the occasional top 10-15 recruit (e.g., Mo Bamba) who waits for Spring (there are usually reasons for that) and the rest, evident by our current Spring recruiting, are lower level recruits who do not get the interest they had hoped and want to use their season to improve their offers. Okoro and Liddell do not belong in any of those categories.

If a recruit signs in Fall, then they will need to get out of their LOI, usually happens in coaching changes or other exogenous circumstances. Very unlikely in this case.

There is some chatter of Okoro reclassifying for 2018 (doubt it happens) but that would be a scenario where next year's season is also irrelevant.

#2,736      

kuhl84

Orlando, FL
We seem to be on the same lists for recruits with Xavier. I wonder how the coaching change will impact that in the future. Xavier is also starting over with Assistants. Steele has none, as Mack took the other 2 with him to UL.

It will be interesting to see where the assistants come from and how that could affect current and future recruiting.

#2,737      
60+% from behind the arc? If true, and not transposed with overall FG%, this is the kind of kid every coach wants. Pass first, defend with passion and skill, and hit the three at the buzzer. Now that is the perfect point guard. Shooting 40% overall from the field is highly questionable however.

#2,740      
Liddell, Okoro, Adam Miller are elite level players. We never get these players much less 2 of them. However, I am the most confident with Miller and the least confident with Liddell.

The Miller recruitment is far away so a lot of uncertainty right now, but if I had to take a guess, from easiest to hardest:

1. Okoro
2. Miller
3. Liddell

I think Miller is so good that will attract blue bloods like Duke and will really test the MIF connection.

#2,741      

Deleted member 631370

D
I guess you believe you have insight into the thinking of the staff.

My take is different. They had only so many open slots. They went after plan A guys, got Ayo. Plan Bs and Cs weren't gone after hard because the staff didn't know what they had until they saw the guys play. Why ink a plan B guy, thinking that TJL gets moved out, when TJL might be just the opposite.

Your plan doesn't seem to exist yet you accuse the staff of either not having one or changing it. I think they have one and have been consistent (THT notwithstanding)

The bolded is exactly right, and precisely why the argument of "they should have tried to get more guys inked in the fall!" doesn't hold water.

The staff had no way of knowing exactly what they had until they went through season filled with adversity. Imagine if a couple of those early games go our way -- we beat NW, we beat Maryland, we beat NMSU. No telling how that would have changed the trajectory of our team. Rather than expecting to lose close games late, we would expect to win. That mindset subtlety can make a huge difference in the final minutes of games.

Fact is, we did not respond to adversity the way the staff probably hoped. And you'll never have a full sense of what you've got until you go through that kind of experience. To suggest that we plan back in November for TJL or Finke or Mark Smith's departure would have been considered crazy at the time.

#2,742      
Liddell, Okoro, Adam Miller are elite level players. We never get these players much less 2 of them. However, I am the most confident with Miller and the least confident with Liddell.

I feel really confident about Okoro. Things can obviously change, but if he chose today i would almost guarantee we would be happy. Miller is just too far away for me to feel confident yet.

#2,743      
With the full realization that 247 CBs are primarily pointless (so no need to shred me for looking), I occasionally look at the 2019's hoping to see just one for Okoro or Liddell. None yet. Was surprised though to see the single CB for Kahlil Whitney for us from Dain Ervin on 3/14. So, we're winning there! ;)

#2,744      
Crystal balls are click bait and now they are VIP access on some of them, not worth the time.

#2,745      

illini80

Forgottonia
Does anyone here know the details of how many official visits we can have? I believe I have heard 24 over two years, but is that a rolling number over the past 24 months? or calendar years? I know we've had quite a few, but how many exactly do we have left?

#2,746      

kuhl84

Orlando, FL
Does anyone here know the details of how many official visits we can have? I believe I have heard 24 over two years, but is that a rolling number over the past 24 months? or calendar years? I know we've had quite a few, but how many exactly do we have left?

It is 24 every 2 years. We are around 14 or 15 so we only have 9 or 10 left. If we bring in Feliz, Griffin, Hinson we are getting really thin with a full year left.

We wasted some with some bigs in the Fall that the coaching staff wasn't fully committed to. It could come back to haunt them.

#2,747      
Can you clarify please? Is it a rolling two years? Or did the limit start when the staff startled? IOW, if only 9-10 left as you mention, can the staff "borrow" from 2019?

It's 24 in a two year period. From April 2017 (when Alstork visited) to now we've had somewhere around 14 officials, so we can only have about 10 more to use until April 2019.

It is rolling from staff to staff, but I don't think it was an issue because we didn't give out that many officials in Groce's last year, but I believe there may be a provision where with a coaching change you can have a few more (like 25% reduction or something like that).

#2,748      

kuhl84

Orlando, FL
Can you clarify please? Is it a rolling two years? Or did the limit start when the staff startled? IOW, if only 9-10 left as you mention, can the staff "borrow" from 2019?

Illyfan has it correct. Started April 1, 2017. Have 9 or 10 left to last to March 31, 2019.

Status
Not open for further replies.