Illinois Hoops Recruiting Thread (March 2018)

Status
Not open for further replies.

TownieMatt

CU Expat
Chicago
I agree, Vlad looks like a project. He dosen't look as good as Mav Morgan did in HS.

I would much rather have a proven player like Coaroline for Nevada.

It ain't an either/or.

Manuel just put up 24 points against McDAA Naz Reid and has a quality skillset on offense. We aren't going to pull a top 100 kid out of our.... hat this late in the game.

I'd be very happy to sign Manuel.

Last edited:

Illinidreamin

Paris, IL.

at least he is practicing what to do with it when in the paint. I like this offer. This guy defended the 4 star beefy dude in the one video shootout with their rival. Don't know how much he does it in a games but looks capable for the pick and pop. Just like I stated previously this was the other big I was talking about that I thought we ought to be looking at. I"m happy with the offer

I agree, Vlad looks like a project. He dosen't look as good as Mav Morgan did in HS.

I would much rather have a proven player like Coaroline for Nevada.

Problem with Caroline and all 5th year players is they are only a short term band-aid to our problem and 2019 could be even uglier. If all of our bigs return and Ebo makes some progress, I think we will have a hard time finding a 5th yr big that makes us significantly better. On paper, sure Caroline helps, but he doesn't look like the 5 we desperately need & then at the end of next year we have only Ebo, Matic, and Kipper left. So unless you are really confident in getting an impact big in 2019, or 2 that is a big roll of the dice. Sure if we sign Okoro/Lidell everything looks good, but the lowest risk back up plan is to start developing another 2018 big to be ready to start contributing in 2019. Not saying we shouldn't take Caroline, just saying I would like a 2018 freshman big with some long term potential.

I'm surprised nobody has noticed that Patrick School runs a similar spread offense to BU's system. :confused:

Both offers are to players that can come in and instantly recognize their role in the offense.

But yes let's keep questioning evaluations based off a few youtube vids. :tsk:

That would seem to put them ahead of some of our current players.

Antigua's talent evaluation continues to disappoint me.

For being such an "elite" recruiter these are not the kind of guys I am expecting from our top assistant.

Both the Patrick School kids are further along than Ebo was and look at how he progressed throughout the season. I have no issue with these offers. They are not as much of a long term project as Ebo and Vesel.

Instant impact players this late in the game are not going to happen unless they are 5th year guys.

Manuel is basically the only serviceable big left in the 18' class. Memphis, Rutgers, Cuse, and Seton Hall have extended offers. No he's not elite but he is also not as abysmal as you make him out to be.

Last edited:
Antigua's talent evaluation continues to disappoint me.

For being such an "elite" recruiter these are not the kind of guys I am expecting from our top assistant.

Identifying the talent is only half the battle. You have to find guys who have an interest in playing for Illinois also. They have a tough sales job right now. I think they will get it done but it’s far from a sure thing. This notion of “we have tons of playing time to offer” is vastly over rated. Kids want to go where there will be success on the court. We have to convince kids that we are on that track. 4 BIG 10 wins is hardly the ideal sales material.

That would seem to put them ahead of some of our current players.

Both Giorgi and Valdir have been playing in pick n pop/pinch post roles. I wouldn't put them ahead of anyone on the roster based on talent but when it comes to schematics, they're ahead of a guy like Finke. They should learn quickly.

Deleted member 29907

D
Time for me to take another break from this board. Negativity based on some low-quality videos. Trust the process.

Still here I see ;). I am a big BU fan, but so far we have not yet shown the ability to land what we desperately need. Low quality video or not, you can still see how quickly and aggressively someone is moving - my only point prior was that a recent offer candidate didn't show up in the frame until the last guy.

mhuml32

Cincinnati, OH
Time for me to take another break from this board. Negativity based on some low-quality videos. Trust the process.

It's possible to both trust the coaching staff AND think someone they've offered isn't that good.

Identifying the talent is only half the battle. You have to find guys who have an interest in playing for Illinois also. They have a tough sales job right now. I think they will get it done but it’s far from a sure thing. This notion of “we have tons of playing time to offer” is vastly over rated. Kids want to go where there will be success on the court. We have to convince kids that we are on that track. 4 BIG 10 wins is hardly the ideal sales material.

thank u

foby

Bonnaroo Land
It ain't an either/or.

Manuel just put up 24 points against McDAA Naz Reid and has a quality skillset on offense. We aren't going to pull a top 100 kid out of our.... hat this late in the game.

I'd be very happy to sign Manuel.

Sure, but would you expect him to come in and be a difference maker in his first year? That is what we need from a big. Either that, or Ebo grows another inch or two, or Matic suddenly becomes a defensive force.

whatahack

St. Peters MO

Exactly right.....kids aren't going to beat our door down

wILL-INI

Charlotte, NC
https://twitter.com/alangriffin_/status/969669939912208384

Committed!

"This is truly a blessing, from all the hard work I’ve put and everything else, im very excited to say that I’ve committed to the University of Illinois����I would like to thank my family and coaches for being there for me! lets go! fighting Illini!!����@IlliniMBB"

DXT1qt7VAAEDp72.jpg

Last edited:

RedRocksIllini

Morrison, CO

Committed!

"This is truly a blessing, from all the hard work I’ve put and everything else, im very excited to say that I’ve committed to the University of Illinois����I would like to thank my family and coaches for being there for me! lets go! fighting Illini!!����@IlliniMBB"

DXT1qt7VAAEDp72.jpg

Welcome to the Orange and Blue, Alan!

Looks like the coaching staff is making good use of all the extra free time they have in NY.

Joel Goodson

respect my decision™
Mixed feelings about Griffin. Seems like Jones is a long shot. Griffin is a fairly good plan B type. Hope he blows my projection out of the water.

Bailey

Los Angeles
oh. cool!

Somebody got some quick video on him?

Illiniaaron

Geneseo, IL

Committed!

DXT1qt7VAAEDp72.jpg
I'm sure the kid is a good player, but are we trying to create a roster completely devoid of forwards and centers?

foby

Bonnaroo Land
So most likely this either means there will be a known transfer or no Tevian Jones.

Committed!

DXT1qt7VAAEDp72.jpg

Welcome Alan!!:shield:

Hopefully this helped to establish a relationship with his AAU program, as they seem to always have some good players.

Last edited:

Dren1

Glenview, IL

Committed!

DXT1qt7VAAEDp72.jpg
We finally beat out the Billikens for a recruit!:D

Welcome Alan!

Status
Not open for further replies.