Illinois Hoops Recruiting Thread (March 2018)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Some highlights of Griffin. Number 0. I think we got a steal. He may not be a high flyer but he gets to the rim. At least a few times in these highlights against a 7'0 recruit from UCLA.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=14&v=JmY41WKU95w
After watching those highlights I have a few concerns to help temper expectations for Griffin:

Before you read this list know that I'm not trying to bash the kid and I can see that he does have some good offensive skills

1. Few defensive highlights or rebound highlights (that one goaltend was sweet though)
2. Crunch time was dominated by #4 for his team, not him
3. Seems lazy in transition
4. Arguing w/ref about no call on and-1 circus 3ptr... cmon
5. Maybe most concerning for me was his lack of excitement/camaraderie with his teammates... one time a guy was on the ground and he was there, but didn't help pick him up... another time the rest of the players are all jumping on each other after a good play and he's not involved

Hopefully this stuff doesn't matter, or can be improved, but I wouldn't expect much more than a few 3 pointers from him next year.

After watching those highlights I have a few concerns to help temper expectations for Griffin:

Before you read this list know that I'm not trying to bash the kid and I can see that he does have some good offensive skills

1. Few defensive highlights or rebound highlights (that one goaltend was sweet though)
5. Maybe most concerning for me was his lack of excitement/camaraderie with his teammates... one time a guy was on the ground and he was there, but didn't help pick him up... another time the rest of the players are all jumping on each other after a good play and he's not involved

Hopefully this stuff doesn't matter, or can be improved, but I wouldn't expect much more than a few 3 pointers from him next year.
Legit concerns. Hard to see defensive highlights in a package like that. Entire game looked like a track meet.

Hopefully Underwood and Antigua (or whomever/whoever the !!!'t Coach in charge of this recruitment) saw enough in person to see whether he can play Underwood Ball.

His dad being a former NBA player and current assistant coach should hopefully have stressed the hustle aspect of getting to the next level.

Neither would I. But with a roster of 13 it is always great to have a player like this who will improve and contribute as an upperclassman.

I thought the 7 second offense is really a myth

Sent from my VS500 using Tapatalk
Pretty sure he just says "I want to score in the first 7 seconds....IF POSSIBLE... then run offense until we get a good shot." That is just to emphasize transition and catching defense off guard.

Any truth to the rumor that Griffin's younger sister, Aubrey, is considering UIUC?? She's currently a Junior and supposedly a suoerstar. Anybody??

Pretty sure he just says "I want to score in the first 7 seconds....IF POSSIBLE... then run offense until we get a good shot." That is just to emphasize transition and catching defense off guard.
It was highlighted aignificantly during preseason an but rarely discussed during season before/after games. Dont think it really is a focus area....but sounds cool during offseason media talk.

Sent from my VS500 using Tapatalk

What are the odds that E.J. Liddell wins Mr. Basketball as a junior? He was awarded the Gatorade POY for Illinois last night. The only person to win Illinois Mr. Basketball as a junior: Jabari Parker.

After watching those highlights I have a few concerns to help temper expectations for Griffin.
I would agree with tempered expectations. He's got good length, hits the 3, and seems to play at a high pace. However, he looks like he has a lot of room for improvement.

I like the pickup because he looks like a good fit overall. I think he's got a ways to go before he's BIG caliber starter. Good chance to see what Underwood can do as a coach.

here's to us and those like us
Wichita, KS
OH WOW Kane just committed we have our rim protector!!!!!:chief::congrats:

Status
Not open for further replies.