Illinois Hoops Recruiting Thread (March 2018)

Status
Not open for further replies.

foby

Bonnaroo Land
Really great news! Welcome Samba!

Deleted member 631370

D
Great news......welcome to the family, Samba!

The last West African big man we had made a big impact by protecting the rim. Hopefully Samba can give us similar defense in the years to come.

Get Tevian Jones and Austin Trice, and this suddenly becomes a pretty strong class.

We're very happy for you, Samba, welcome on becoming the newest Illini basketball commit! Here's hoping you do well!! :D :clappy: :chief: :congrats: :thumb:

I like Kane more than Castleton or Conditt, but hey, I was always a huge Egwu fan and prefer defensive-minded bigs over sticks that can shoot.

Dan is taking his afternoon nap. Don't wake him.

HUGE news for Illinois! I love this commitment. It is 100% what the doctor ordered and addresses our single biggest roster gap.

Future Walk-On

Peoria, IL
I like Kane more than Castleton or Conditt, but hey, I was always a huge Egwu fan and prefer defensive-minded bigs over sticks that can shoot.

I prefer bigs who

1. rebound average to their size
2. stay within 6 feet of basket 95% of time
3. have a hook shot or any semblance of a post move

Joel Goodson

respect my decision™

It will be interesting to see who has a bigger impact.

As to Kane's commitment: good call, bias not withstanding. Pretty clear path to decent immediate minutes. The Ebo and Kane tandem should shore up our inside D.

Great news! Welcome Samba!

I wonder if this may actually push Finke to stay. From his dad’s comments in the article, it sounded like he was not happy about having to guard 5s all the time. If he and Black both stay I would still expect both to start, but Samba (and Ebo) would allow Finke to move over to the 4 on defense anytime Black is out. Though I’m not sure if Finke guarding a quicker 4 is any better than having to guard a stronger 5.

On the other hand, if we also land Trice, I would be more inclined to think Finke will be leaving.

ILL in IA

Iowa City
Great news! Welcome Samba!

I wonder if this may actually push Finke to stay. From his dad’s comments in the article, it sounded like he was not happy about having to guard 5s all the time. If he and Black both stay I would still expect both to start, but Samba (and Ebo) would allow Finke to move over to the 4 on defense anytime Black is out. Though I’m not sure if Finke guarding a quicker 4 is any better than having to guard a stronger 5.

On the other hand, if we also land Trice, I would be more inclined to think Finke will be leaving.

It's nice to have the flexibility to choose who he should be on. Actually play matchups instead of being forced into a mismatch.

Oldtoysrock

Sarasota, Florida
Great, great news! I hope this will encourage Black and Finke we can be pretty special next year and neither should have to spend the year playing out of position.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

spike49

New Mexico
Great, great news! I hope this will encourage Black and Finke we can be pretty special next year and neither should have to spend the year playing out of position.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

+ 1000

It's nice to have the flexibility to choose who he should be on. Actually play matchups instead of being forced into a mismatch.

Agreed. The flexibility would offer options we have not had the past couple years.

Finally!

This will obviously have an in game impact but WOW this is great practice wise for Ebo and of course the rest of the team, but more so for Ebo.

Having Kane to practice against is HUGE. Literally. Getting used to creating your shot and working on post moves against a 7 footer day in and day out definitely beats practicing against Finke who can't quite guard the 5.

Status
Not open for further replies.