Illinois Hoops Recruiting Thread (March 2018)

Status
Not open for further replies.
#1,351      

skyIdub

Winged Warrior
What does that have to do with what I said? Please show me where I said drills aren't good for development. I'll wait. I simply said, and you're proving my point, that you can't base a HS player's talent level on these types of videos. There's no one defending him! It's not live-game footage. There's a reason he's not ranked and isn't being recruited by many P5 programs. He's a project. This isn't hard.

You know what else isn't hard? Googling UW's roster and seeing what kind of project talent they have that spanked our behinds this year. Ethan Happ was a 2 or 3 star recruit I believe. I'd take three of him with a side of _______ (insert your favorite three star wing) to go please.
It seems scUM always has some project wing/forward that dumps 30 on us every other year too.
Maybe we shouldn't be so picky?:illinois:

#1,352      

Peoria Illini

Peoria, IL
You know what else isn't hard? Googling UW's roster and seeing what kind of project talent they have that spanked our behinds this year. Ethan Happ was a 2 or 3 star recruit I believe. I'd take three of him with a side of _______ (insert your favorite three star wing) to go please.
It seems scUM always has some project wing/forward that dumps 30 on us every other year too.

A side of bacon. Always a good choice. Especially in Flavortown...

#1,353      

I think we should be picky and diligent but overall I do agree with you. Plus the NBA, NFL, and pretty much every good coach or scout does use drills as one way to evaluate players. People get way to caught up with stars or dunks. I trust our coach. You listed just a few examples. I loved what I saw in that video for sure for a high school big man and clearly Underwood and Pitino Jr do too.
Unfortunately this isn't KU, UK. Duke, or a Blue Blood. I think our choices are limited for now.

Last edited:
#1,354      

matt1all

Chicago, IL
https://twitter.com/CasperMBB/status/965446538561339392?s=20

Maybe not the big we need, but wonder why the staff hasn't shown more interest with all the offers they've put out. Ranked 16 and offers from Tim Miles and others.

I know I’m behind but I keep seeing this guy’s name popping up on this board and I’m not sure why. I don’t get the confusion of why the staff hasn’t reached out. Looks pretty skilled, but he’s not really the kind of big guy Brad wants to play the 5 at all

#1,355      
All depends on the truth with Smith. If the public story is the truth, then I'd hope Smith would share that with EJ.

If Mark Smith is being classy and touting the "company one," even if he was unhappy here and with Underwood, then that truth will get back to Liddell.

It is Daddy Smith that has been and may still have the potential to be a problem.

#1,356      
Whether Underwood can get Liddell to sign with the Illini or not it's still good that he is down in the St Louis area so much talking with coaches, parents, and fans.

#1,357      

sacraig

The desert
I for one think the best case is for EJ to pick Illinois. The second best case is he picks Mizzery and they fall flat on their GD faces!

Now, now, there's no need to wish ill on the kid and call it "second best".

#1,358      
Seems like instate recruiting is more difficult. Alot of continuous arse kissing and relationship management.

With out of state seems like less expectations.

Peoria area seems to have the greatest loyalty to UI over the last several years. Hopefully Okoro feels the sense of home next year. Liddell's parent went to ISU, not sure a factor.

#1,359      

mhuml32

Cincinnati, OH
Seems like instate recruiting is more difficult. Alot of continuous arse kissing and relationship management.

With out of state seems like less expectations.

Peoria area seems to have the greatest loyalty to UI over the last several years. Hopefully Okoro feels the sense of home next year. Liddell's parent went to ISU, not sure a factor.

It's because Illinois is actually involved in the top-flight in-state talent, which, for obvious reasons, has a lot more "advisors" and family members involved in the recruitment. All of the out-of-state talent aren't as heralded coming out of high school, meaning a more straight forward recruitment process.

#1,362      

sacraig

The desert
Yea why cant we all just get along?:thumb:

I mean, I still wish ill on Mizzou, but I wouldn't condemn a kid to play for Mizzou just because he isn't feeling the Illini. I'd rather him go play for Duke or someone who we won't face except in the tournament if he doesn't play for us.

#1,363      
For Giorgi, I think I see a little what underwood likes.

1) Looks like he operates out of the pinch post regularly
2) looks like a pretty good passer for his size. Overall skill level appears decent if you include the workout tapes.
3) Think he could be Jacob Parkerish in that he’s not super athletic but maybe a little sneaky. Skilled enough to use in different places to create mismatches, and maybe not for himself, but for someone else.

Call me crazy, but I’d still rather have Vesel. With the work they need, they’re gonna start contributing around the same time, but matic will always be more athletic.

Last edited:
#1,366      

2) looks like a pretty good passer for his size. Overall skill level appears decent if you include the workout tapes.
3) Think he could be Jacob Parkerish in that he’s not super athletic but maybe a little sneaky. Skilled enough to use in different places to create mismatches, and maybe not for himself, but for someone else.

Call me crazy, but I’d still rather have Vesel. With the work they need, they’re gonna start contributing around the same time, but matic will always be more athletic.

Seems physically advanced for a 2018, and can make smart passes. Not seeing anything that gets me excited, though.

#1,367      

foby

Bonnaroo Land
Seems like the Belein type that torches us every year. Wait… I think applies to him as well

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Yeah, I see some Mo Wagnerlite there.

#1,368      

Peoria Illini

Peoria, IL

Giorgi would need some work on his screen setting. That game highlights I saw, he could have been called 5 times alone on moving screens, LOL.

I like Matic as well. I think he showed some good things in the limited time he had on the floor. Needs more acclimation and some muscle on him.

#1,369      
illini-scrimmage-3.jpg

14_7981541.jpg

Giorgi is Richard Semrau 2.0. He looks like Semrau's Croatian brother from another mother. They even have the same haircut.

I'm guessing they would be called on to have similar roles. Stretch the floor occasionally and defend/rebound as needed. Perhaps Giorgi can have a more successful career. Semrau was regarded as having high scoring potential out of HS. Not sure Giorgi has many high scoring games.

#1,371      
Well I think Leron opens the door to Trice coming in, now we know to do a full-court press on his recruitment.

Still curious to see who else (if anyone) transfers/leaves the program. Staff must have something up their sleeves. Maybe we have a better chance at Ramey than most believe. At this point, I think Ramey coming in as well as landing Trice to fill Leron's shoes (and both of them being immediately productive) is our only chance at not being at the bottom of the Big Ten next year.

That or epic development in all of our now sophomores in Trent, DMW, Matic, and Spicy G.

#1,372      
Well it's cool Underwood is on NCAA panel on CBS. That can only help recruiting. We need all the help we can get with Leron's announcement today.

#1,373      
At one point, Richard Semrau was ranked #23 nationally and was a 5 star. True story.

I'm guessing we'd kill to have the same Samrau that came to our Illini then, come to our Illini now. We are desperate for big men.

#1,375      

sacraig

The desert
I'm guessing we'd kill to have the same Samrau that came to our Illini then, come to our Illini now. We are desperate for big men.

Well, we've probably got a staff that is a little better at developing big men right now, too, so it's no guarantee that Semrau would have been a flop with a different staff. Weber's track record was... not good.

Status
Not open for further replies.