Illinois Hoops Recruiting Thread (March 2018)

Status
Not open for further replies.
#1,952      

Deleted member 631370

D
Getcha popcorn ready. :popcorn:

For real though, I like Hinson even better than Tevian Jones. He's got the pugnacity that this system requires. Plays like the football player he is.

It's no "Castleton or Conditt are much more important recruits than Ayo" claim, but it's bold enough. :)

I like both, but I'd rather have Hinson if I had to decide between the two. Definitely need a bit of toughness on this roster.

#1,954      

Deleted member 631370

D
Jordan Caroline or Josh Cunningham would be immediate impact guys that can get you to the tournament. You potentially slot in Liddell or another top 100 guy next season after they depart.

He's a plan B, and they have to decide if they want to use an official on him or not.

Is there anything beyond wishful thinking to believe that either Caroline or Cunningham are (1) transferring, and (2) considering Illinois?

It stands to reason that if they were to look elsewhere, we would stand a chance given our connections to both recruits (locality for Caroline, the Chin relationship with Cunningham). But why would Caroline transfer from a great situation in Nevada?

If the staff slow-rolled Hinson because they were waiting on Caroline or Cunningham, then we should fire the staff right now. :)

#1,955      

TownieMatt

CU Expat
Chicago
Is there anything beyond wishful thinking to believe that either Caroline or Cunningham are (1) transferring, and (2) considering Illinois?

It stands to reason that if they were to look elsewhere, we would stand a chance given our connections to both recruits (locality for Caroline, the Chin relationship with Cunningham). But why would Caroline transfer from a great situation in Nevada?

If the staff slow-rolled Hinson because they were waiting on Caroline or Cunningham, then we should fire the staff right now. :)

As I see it, Caroline only leaves if Musselman leaves or if his pull to Illinois is just that strong.

Dayton is set to be pretty bad again next year, so Cunningham wanting to leave makes more sense. The question there is whether it's actually possible academically.

#1,956      
How does Ayo compare to SGA from Kentucky?

Granted I haven't seen Ayo play in person, and not a ton of SGA, but from highlights Ayo doesn't seem like he has elite quickness but still seems to get where he needs to go because of his change of speeds and craftiness.

Watch SGA play last night he seemed like he wasn't super quick, but long and changed speeds so well. His jumper didnt exactly look great either.

Just a quick thought

#1,958      

Yea, not sold on Caroline...seems to be really slow with his feet....if he has to guard someone on the perimeter he seems to get beat fairly often...not sure he would fit BU's defensive scheme.

#1,959      

sacraig

The desert
S+C coming in with his patented EXTRA HOT TAKES!

Sure, S&C has had many hot takes, but neither of those posts were examples. I'd say they were tepid takes at best. Most people would likely agree with them.

#1,960      
Yea, not sold on Caroline...seems to be really slow with his feet....if he has to guard someone on the perimeter he seems to get beat fairly often...not sure he would fit BU's defensive scheme.

Caroline would actually be a great fit for our system and our needs. just that is not happening.

#1,961      

DB11Headband

Chicago Burbs

Not sold on a guy that just averaged 18 for a S16 team while the beloved went sub-.500? Come on now. Caroline isn’t going to leave Nevada, but don’t act like we wouldn’t be thrilled to get him.

#1,962      

kuhl84

Orlando, FL
We just offered him three days ago I'm pretty sure we didn't slow roll him when his first comment on the matter he says w he will be attending either Illinois, Seton Hall or Washington.

We've been on Hinson a long time.

#1,963      
Current Recruiting Status

So, pulling together all the talk over the last few weeks, here is my current understanding. Correct me where I'm off...

• We currently have 2 open scholarships
    General consensus (unsubstantiated) is that TJL or MV will transfer
    In the hunt for Ramey
    In the hunt for Hinson (CB lock)
    In the hunt for Feliz (CB lock)
    In the hunt for Bezhanishvili (consensus is he'll commit soon)
    In the hunt for Jones
    In the hunt for Trice

So right now we have 3 "likely" commits with only 2 open spots. Obviously timing (who commits when) affects what happens, but mining the wisdom of the crowd I would think the liklihood of signing fall in this order...

1. Feliz (he came out of nowhere per this board)
2. Bezhanishvili
3. Hinson
4. Trice (mainly because all scholarships may be gone by 4/11)
5. Ramey
6. Jones

Personally I kind of like the JUCO path (Feliz or Trice) just to help with class balance. They come in as Juniors, right?

Discuss!

#1,964      

Dren1

Glenview, IL
So, pulling together all the talk over the last few weeks, here is my current understanding. Correct me where I'm off...
    In the hunt for Ramey
    In the hunt for Jones
    In the hunt for Trice
So right now we have 3 "likely" commits with only 2 open spots. Obviously timing (who commits when) affects what happens, but mining the wisdom of the crowd I would think the liklihood of signing fall in this order...

2. Bezhanishvili
3. Hinson
5. Ramey
6. Jones

Personally I kind of like the JUCO path (Feliz or Trice) just to help with class balance. They come in as Juniors, right?

Discuss!
I don't think Jones is a lock by any means, but he seems far more likely than Trice (on whom it appears we have cooled) or Ramey (has always seemed like a long shot).

#1,965      

TownieMatt

CU Expat
Chicago

In the hunt for Ramey
    In the hunt for Jones
    In the hunt for Trice

2. Bezhanishvili
3. Hinson
5. Ramey
6. Jones

Discuss!

Likelihood is tough to measure, it's all dominoes:

- If we sign Ramey, we won't sign Feliz
- If we sign Jones, we won't sign Hinson
- If we sign Bezhanishvili, we won't sign Trice

#1,966      
Not sold on a guy that just averaged 18 for a S16 team while the beloved went sub-.500? Come on now. Caroline isn’t going to leave Nevada, but don’t act like we wouldn’t be thrilled to get him.

Not saying he wouldn't be a good offensive plus and would make the Illini better...just saying I don't think he's that good of a defensive player and his defensive flaws would be really exposed in a defensive system like BU's...I agree, just don't see him leaving Nevada

#1,967      

In the hunt for Ramey
    In the hunt for Jones
    In the hunt for Trice

2. Bezhanishvili
3. Hinson
5. Ramey
6. Jones

Discuss!

Pretty concise, Jones is no lock, Trice is probably and after thought in light of April 11 still a ways off...Georgi will commit before then imo. Still think there will be a long shot or an unknown yet to fill out this class.

My guess would be Ayo, Griffin, Kane, with Georgi and either Feliz or the unknown player to be named later?:chief:

#1,968      

mattcoldagelli

The Transfer Portal with Do Not Contact Tag

In the hunt for Ramey
    In the hunt for Jones
    In the hunt for Trice

2. Bezhanishvili
3. Hinson
5. Ramey
6. Jones

Discuss!

Put Ramey at the bottom of your likelihood rankings.

#1,969      
Caroline would actually be a great fit for our system and our needs. just that is not happening.

His offense would be a plus....but his defense would be a problem....but, we won't have to worry about that

#1,970      

kuhl84

Orlando, FL
Likelihood is tough to measure, it's all dominoes:

- If we sign Ramey, we won't sign Feliz
- If we sign Jones, we won't sign Hinson
- If we sign Bezhanishvili, we won't sign Trice

Agree with 1 & 3. I listened to Pipers podcast from yesterday and I think there are scenarios that we could take both Jones & Hinson. Hinson might be more dependent on 5th year guys, assuming Jones commits. If no Jones than certainly all in on Hinson.

My view is we should be all in on Hinson regardless. History shows the longer it goes between an official visit and a commitment, the less likely you get the commitment.

#1,971      

In the hunt for Ramey
    In the hunt for Jones
    In the hunt for Trice

2. Bezhanishvili
3. Hinson
5. Ramey
6. Jones

Discuss!

Would prefer more size unless TJL is leaving and would take both Hinson and Jones or a grad transfer plus Bez.

#1,973      

TownieMatt

CU Expat
Chicago
Valdir Manuel commits to Seton hall

Interesting. Would have guessed Syracuse. Never know how serious an offer is from the outside though.

Will be interesting to see who has the better collegiate career, Manuel or Bezhanishvili.

#1,975      
Isn't SH among those in the Hinson race? Not that these two guys are the same position or anything....

Lol, well played.

Hopefully that’s another team out of the race for Hinson

Side note: I guess I was correct thinking there was an commitment announcement today from someone

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.