Illinois Hoops Recruiting Thread (March 2018)

Status
Not open for further replies.
#2,101      

kuhl84

Orlando, FL
I really, really don't want Mark Smith going to Mizzou.

Plus, it makes it all the more likely that Liddell goes to Mizzou.

I dont either, but Smith doesn’t move the needle at all in the Liddell recruitment.

Ramey and Okoro have more impact. I really do t want Ramey at Mizzou.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#2,102      
Maybe you’re right that he doesn’t have to be able to do that his freshman year. And I guess my hope of a poor mans Jacob Parker means I think he can get to that point one day. Some of the best shots in this offense come from the pinch post player reading the defense, faking the handoff, and driving to the rim. So he kinda does have to be able to do that at some point (especially because we don’t have that guy right now).

He definitely does need to be able at some point, and I think he would. I think he could keep offenses honest enough as a freshman until he develops. He might not be the strongest or quickest, but his handles are well above other PF’s and they won’t be used to guarding that, so he could probably get by some of them.

#2,103      

illini80

Forgottonia
agree.... definitely don't want Smith going to Mizzou. it's a lose/lose for us.

Personally, i think if he wants a fresh start best to play somewhere without all the local baggage/expectations.

i think if orange and blue improve, maybe exceed expectations next season, then we will still pull some talent out of that area.

who knows? i think that Liddell can see the difference of how Mizzou and Illinois use their forwards.

random ramblings.....
I can't see how that would work out for him. He wants the ballin his hands. Cunzo is not going to give him the keys to the bus and not recruit over him.

#2,104      

Joel Goodson

respect my decision™
I really, really don't want Mark Smith going to Mizzou. I still think he has a chance to become a really good SG, and if that were to occur under Cuonzo's watch, he'll use that to no end for recruiting in the Metro East area.

Plus, it makes it all the more likely that Liddell goes to Mizzou.

I always thought that a Metro East talent surge would be a great thing for Illinois. Now, it's to the point where I'd rather Metro East NOT produce a lot of talent, because they'd probably go to Mizzou anyway. Good thing Cuonzo will never get the most out of that talent.

Spot on. Same thing with Ramey. Anywhere but Miznoz. He's a linchpin recruit for them.

#2,105      

skyIdub

Winged Warrior
As much attention as these kids all give Twitter and trends, I think the excitement around our football recruits has to bleed over a little. Now we just need some results to keep the fire lit(ty)!:illinois:

#2,106      

jrod1286

Pat Chambers
Illinois
I have come to terms with Mizzou beating us on recruits in the STL area, it's going to happen.... Respect the effort out of Underwood and staff for go after them.

#2,107      
Smith's AAU coach is the key to the hype machine for him and I'm sure supported by his Dad. Another case of whether offers really exist and secondly, whether they are commitable. He's claiming both BC and Missouri offers this go around for Smith. We'll see.

#2,110      
Agreed! Mav may have had the potential to be stronger but in other areas I think it's clear Georgi has more potential for development. Too much emphasis is placed on rankings for foreign players like Georgi who haven't even been in the states long. Sites rank 100s of players and that is quite a task to keep updated. Though we may not all be experts. We are only focused on a few of players so it's easy to notice his talent with the sites ranking.
As for Mav I was a huge fan of him and of his work ethic and how he developed. He worked hard to be the best player he could. Id still love to have him. Hopefully Georgi will work hard fulfill his potential too. He may get an opportunity sooner than Mav did since unfortunately we do not have Egwu on the team now.
j

However we do have Kane.

#2,111      
Smith's AAU coach is the key to the hype machine for him and I'm sure supported by his Dad. Another case of whether offers really exist and secondly, whether they are commitable. He's claiming both BC and Missouri offers this go around for Smith. We'll see.

I could believe those offers. Mark had some nice games pre-conference, just needs time. I think a good place could be a Witchita St, Butler, Loyola, ill state,creighton.

#2,113      
j

However we do have Kane.

I didn't. I just think Georgi is ahead of Kane for now if we land Georgi. Kanes only 205lbs and needs to put on a few lbs and develop a bit more. I hope Georgi could get up to 245 or so by October with Fletch.

#2,114      

foby

Bonnaroo Land
I didn't. I just think Georgi is ahead of Kane for now if we land Georgi. Kanes only 205lbs and needs to put on a few lbs and develop a bit more. I hope Georgi could get up to 245 or so by October with Fletch.

The best thing is having the depth, and letting it play out. :thumb:

#2,115      

Imagine how big of a beast Kane will be by Junior year

#2,116      

Gunner23

Panama City, Florida
Imagine how big of a beast Kane will be by Junior year

Very true and scary to think about. :eek: However, many on here may not be patient enough to let that situation develop before they are calling for him to transfer.

#2,117      

Deleted member 654622

D
Very true and scary to think about. :eek: However, many on here may not be patient enough to let that situation develop before they are calling for him to transfer.

582.gif

#2,118      
Not from me you won't. I want his skinny 7'1" friend too in a couple years. I'm not sure either will put on a lot of lbs but I hope so. Syracuse had a big guy that was effective and slim.

#2,119      

On his official visit to Champaign Kane checked out at 6'11.5 without shoes and weighed 220lbs. With Fletch he could easily reach 230 or so by the start of his freshman year. I think both contribute and I'm gonna go out on a limb and say Kane starts within the first 10 games. He's further along than most probably realize.

#2,120      
On his official visit to Champaign Kane checked out at 6'11.5 without shoes and weighed 220lbs. With Fletch he could easily reach 230 or so by the start of his freshman year. I think both contribute and I'm gonna go out on a limb and say Kane starts within the first 10 games. He's further along than most probably realize.

Good news. I hope they are both better than we realize. I would think Georgi first but who really knows. Georgi looks to be a good passer and has a good solid shot from mid range. Georgi's high school seems to have played some top high school competition and could be more ready. We shall see. The good thing is they should both make each other better.

How he and mom need to arrive and commit.

Last edited:
#2,121      
Good news. I hope they are both better than we realize. I would think Georgi first but who really knows. Georgi looks to be a good passer and has a good solid shot from mid range. Georgi's high school seems to have played some top high school competition and could be more ready. We shall see. The good thing is they should both make each other better.

How he and mom need to arrive and commit.

Need a shot blocker and that is Kane. Bez looks tougher to move around and may be better offensively. Nice to have choices!

#2,122      
I really don't have any doubts at all with his commitment and while some say they see Augie in him I see more Damir. Two athletic big guys with with a good base of skills to work with sounds good to me. I question if Giorgi has the aggressive mind set that both Augie and Damir had. Hopefully it all works out but regardless good pick up if/when it happens.

#2,123      
I really don't have any doubts at all with his commitment and while some say they see Augie in him I see more Damir. Two athletic big guys with with a good base of skills to work with sounds good to me. I question if Giorgi has the aggressive mind set that both Augie and Damir had. Hopefully it all works out but regardless good pick up if/when it happens.
I'd be fine with either. I' was thinking a cross between Augie and Scott Meents given he can dribble and pass well. That kinda shows my age. Meents was 6'10" 225. Agile and had some skill.

Last edited:
#2,124      
Damir had better handles than either Augie or Meentz that's why I made that comparison. People overlook and forget about Damir a lot because everytime he found his way to the start in lineup he would get injured and back on the bench. Damir would have been a special player for the Illini if he could have avoided the injury bug.

Status
Not open for further replies.