Illinois Hoops Recruiting Thread (March 2018)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 631370

D
Smith transferring should surprise absolutely nobody.

In fact, I posed on another board about 6 weeks ago that Smith strikes me as the kind of kid who very possibly could transfer and wind up at SLU, SIU, or someplace like that. He may have a lot of talent, but he's a long way from being a consistent scorer at this level, and it's clear that he's frustrated.

I doubt he's angry at Underwood as much as perhaps he's questioning whether this is the right fit for him. I really, really would hate to see him go, as I think he can put it together eventually. But this would be the least surprising transfer of anybody.

Deleted member 631370

D
This reminds me of Memphis / Pittsburgh a year ago when the whole team was transferring out after a new coach came in who'd been successful everywhere else. I still believe in Underwood, but I don't care how good of a coach you are you need talent to win.

Yeah, this would be very, very bad.

I don't care how good a coach you are. You need talent. And it becomes more difficult to get talent the more you lose.

Another 15+ loss season, and Illinois basketball becomes that much closer to complete irrelevance. Any initial recruiting momentum we may have established begins to disappear, because ultimately most high-level recruits don't want to play for coaches that lose. It truly becomes a vicious cycle.

Underwood is going to have to close the deal on guys like Tevian Jones, Okoro, Liddell, etc. And he's going to have to find kids that fit his system and hopefully overachieve -- maybe Alan Griffin is one of them. He's going to have to recruit his way out of this mess, and I'm not entirely confident that he has the recruiting prowess to do it. I know the man can coach, but yet again, this comes down to recruiting.

I don't care how good a coach you are. You need talent. And it becomes more difficult to get talent the more you lose.

Another 15+ loss season, and Illinois basketball becomes that much closer to complete irrelevance. Any initial recruiting momentum we may have established begins to disappear, because ultimately most high-level recruits don't want to play for coaches that lose. It truly becomes a vicious cycle.

Underwood is going to have to close the deal on guys like Tevian Jones, Okoro, Liddell, etc. And he's going to have to find kids that fit his system and hopefully overachieve -- maybe Alan Griffin is one of them. He's going to have to recruit his way out of this mess, and I'm not entirely confident that he has the recruiting prowess to do it. I know the man can coach, but yet again, this comes down to recruiting.

but he got mark smith and ayo, we will be fine trust the process:huh:

Deleted member 631370

D
Lucas is gone too but we expected that. Not losing sleep over him tbh

Per what source?

I went into this offseason expecting Lucas, Smith, and Finke to transfer. Always feared that Kipper could potentially test the waters. But Black would be a real kick in the nuts.

Life will go on with a backcourt of Frazier and Ayo. But suddenly, we lack experienced guard depth. Who backs up either Frazier or Ayo? I just hope Damonte develops rapidly, because we're going to need him.

Lucas is gone too but we expected that. Not losing sleep over him tbh

I'm not big into rumors until they are confirmed. But I'll throw out some. If Smith &/or Lucas transfer it will be primarily about playing time. Actually, I think Lucas could be the more valuable of the two.
I think both see themselves as point guards. Lucas would most likely be 3rd, & Smith 4th or 5th in the pecking order for that position & that's with only Ayo & Trent.
As for Black, anyone can start a rumor. I threw out sometime ago that maybe he would want to play where he would have a better chance making the tournament. That being said, there are very few places that are going to feature him in the offense as much as Illinois does. I don't put too much stock in unfounded rumors that he will transfer.
For the record, I hope all three are back.

Last edited:

Deleted member 631370

D
Forget these rumors about players transferring out. These are all source less BS. No current player is going anywhere.

There is absolutely no way you will be proven correct on this one, I'm afraid.

I hope everybody returns, but the staff's scholarship offer frenzy suggests that some will be transferring.

618Illini

Lexington, Ky
I think there is a legit possibility if Smith does indeed transfer that it is more mutual between he and Underwood than anything.

mattcoldagelli

The Transfer Portal

The sooner we collectively make peace with not getting Liddell, the better.

Illiini

In the land of the Nittany Lion
What, I finally get power back after the bomb cyclone and I sign into Illinoisloyalty and see this!? One thing gets fixed and another gets, well, bombed.

That said, I hate to seeing half the team go, but if they're not putting the ball through the hoop, well, what are you going to do? Leron leaving as one of our top scorers would be a loss, but being in foul trouble puts him on the bench aw ell as giving the other team the ultimate in free looks.

Mark Smith...I hate to see go as a downstate guy but more importantly he seemed like a good guy with a lot of potential. But Underwood's "earning playing time" philosophy and Smith's sitting down a lot doesn't bode well for Mark.

THAT said, this could all be Paul Is Dead, for those old enough to know what I'm talking about. Let's see what really happens when it happens.

GortTheRobot

North Bethesda, Maryland
So, the only way Leron leaves is for a graduate program, right? He's not going to sit a year. By the way, I am not convinced this will happen. I think the probability of Smith going is very real. I also could see Lucas and possibly Finke going as well. I hate to even say these things, because I would hope everyone is back. However, if you don't want to be at Illinois, then best of luck, we'll take those that do.

Joel Goodson

respect my decision™
I don't doubt that some people will leave, but the names thrown around have been by source with a history of peddling nonsense. I figure I'll wait to melt down until something more concrete emerges.

To those of you pretending Smith is/was a lost cause, I have to question what you were watching. He sure looked to be like a kid with all the ability in the work for whom the game was just beginning to slow down in the last few weeks. I honestly expect him stop be at worst a solid contributor next year if he stays.

His dad expects him to be more than a solid contributor. This season was a major disappointment for Smith. Don't think the kid has encountered failure before. Hard to swallow being passed up by another frosh. We have a 5 star PG coming. Chances to get the keys back are low. Not that great of a fit, considering what he desires.

Most fans want him to stay. Given the circumstances, that looks like wishful thinking.

Deleted member 631370

D
His dad expects him to be more than a solid contributor. This season was a major disappointment for Smith. Don't think the kid has encountered failure before. Hard to swallow being passed up by another frosh. We have a 5 star PG coming. Chances to get the keys back are low. Not that great of a fit, considering what he desires.

Most fans want him to stay. Given the circumstances, that looks like wishful thinking.

If he wants to be a PG, he's at the wrong school.

If he was promised that he'd be a PG, well, I don't blame him for wanting to look elsewhere.

Ultimately, he's not even close to being a capable PG at the B1G level. The difference between him and Frazier (or even Ayo) at the PG position is pretty stark.

He can be a very successful 2/3 in our system, and I really hope he stays. But if he truly wants to be the guy with the ball in his hands, he should probably look at other options. SLU, SIU, whatever.

Trying not to listen to the noise until something concrete happens . . .

Agree with others that is hard to for me to see Black leaving. He has the spotlight here. Only reasons he goes somewhere is looking to play in the tourney (which he may not get the chance to play in if he stays) or he goes pro ex-US. Doesn't seem like going pro ex-US is that enticing to him with his fiance here. He also won't get a big contract right away due to being undersized. He will end like Malcolm in the philipines due to measurables. He can go pro from here as easy as anywhere following next year.

Generally agree with the sentiment around Mark Smith. Showed his potential this year the last few weeks but he just need to actually learn how to play basketball. I still think he can be an all-BIG level contributor as an upperclassman if he commits to learning the game.

I have been a fan to remember players like Kendall Gill, Dee Brown, Frank Williams, and Deron being talked into staying. I believe a couple on that list actually packed their bags and left for a couple of days.

Also remember Dee eclipsing Deron his first year, it was not easy for Deron and he played with a McAA in HS. Then Deron coming on strong his junior year and Dee admitting that it was "Deron's" team.

I see a bright future for MSmith at Illinois, very likeable person and committed. I don't buy it was BU system. BU gave him an opportunity to start/play until he lost it. The system didn't cause him to miss open 3 pointers/lay-ups or make bad decisions. He is a freshmen and will get better. Seeing the Loyola/Illinois St game I realized how much lower level that is compared to the BigTen. Does he want to play at that level (Missouri Valley) or Power5, if it is the latter he will need to work/develop. I think he has a bright future if he stays.

If he was promised that he'd be a PG, well, I don't blame him for wanting to look elsewhere.

Ultimately, he's not even close to being a capable PG at the B1G level. The difference between him and Frazier (or even Ayo) at the PG position is pretty stark.

He can be a very successful 2/3 in our system, and I really hope he stays. But if he truly wants to be the guy with the ball in his hands, he should probably look at other options. SLU, SIU, whatever.

The difference between Smith and Lucas at the PG is stark, let alone Frazier, and soon, Ayo. If he wants to be a PG, he'll likey need to go elsewhere, which I hope he doesn't. I think he has a bright future in CU as a 2/3.

No idea what's going to shake out, but I would expect (and welcome) the guys on the roster to do some soul-searching. Maybe a kid thinks he's going to transfer, realizes this is a system that he can excel in, and comes back better suited for playing ball here. Or maybe not, and moving on is necessary. We don't have sure-fire pros on the roster --anyone who makes it is going to have to work hard.

Groce and Underwood are polar opposites in terms of style of play, and most of these players were originally recruited by Groce. The sooner Underwood gets guys who fit the system, the sooner he'll have a winning product. That means either guys adapt, or guys who fit and want to be here commit.

In this sense, I'm optimistic:
Trent is already honorable mention all BIG.
Ayo is a stud.
Ebo has a fantastic ceiling and is already serviceable as a freshman big.

I'll grant you that's only 3 guys, but you can build around that even if several guys transfer out, who don't fit or don't want to put in the work here.

I will say that I would *really* miss Leron. He's fun to watch. He's really stepped up his game in a lot of ways, and I think he and Ebo would be a nice tandem next season. When Leron got position he was deadly. Nice touch around the basket. Solid rebounder. 80% FT making big, who can stretch the floor. Also HM all BIG, and I think he would be better next year.

IMHO we need a shake-up though. The buy-in just wasn't there, and a coach HAS to have that.

Banner day for unsubstantiated rumors.

With that in mind, I have it on good authority that DaMonte is transferring to Loyola, want's to play for a winner.

Woah... Really was hoping this whole Mark Smith transfer was just a rumor but it appears it is not according to Roy Schmidt.

Could the reason we took Alan Griffin be because of this?

Roy Schmidt
‏@prepbullseye

"HOLY ILLINIWEK!! I can confirm thru a most reliable source that Mark Smith is transferring from the University Of Illinois--done deal. He will be meeting with AD Josh Whitman tomorrow. UNBELIEVABLE!"

WTF. WTF. WTF. We went through all that hand wringing about where he would go...Mr. Basketball...most important recruit in years....signed on with the new coach...gets playing time...I really don't get this unless the relationship just soured or someone else got in his ear about going to Missouri or SLU.

His dad was not such a fan of him coming to Illinois in the first place right? IIRC, he was pushing the Kentucky, Duke, etc. schools. I can't imagine there was a thought that he would go in to one of those schools and be more than a contributor as much as I like Mark.

Deleted member 631370

D
WTF. WTF. WTF. We went through all that hand wringing about where he would go...Mr. Basketball...most important recruit in years....signed on with the new coach...gets playing time...I really don't get this unless the relationship just soured or someone else got in his ear about going to Missouri or SLU.

Well, there was talk that we were recruiting him as a lead guard whereas Michigan State and UK were recruiting him as a shooting guard. Was that accurate?

In HS, he was most impressive when he was able to create as the lead guard. Clearly he's not ready to do that at this level......he's not quick enough, nor are his handles tight enough. Maybe that's his frustration? He's playing out of position, and at best, he'd be the 4th best ball handler on next year's team.

Deleted member 631370

D
Yeah I don't know if I buy that one. There was no other player on the team that BU talked up more than DaMonte and that went on all season. I'll believe it when I see it. If all these transfers are going down like random people are saying then we got a lot of weak minded kids here in the Midwest. If they wanna leave and go to an established winner then have fun with that and don't let the door hit ya on the way out. I'm tired of these winey spoiled kids who don't want to put the work in. This would also shed light on the culture change we keep hearing about.

I think the Damonte to Loyola post was meant as a joke.

Status
Not open for further replies.