Illinois Hoops Recruiting Thread (March 2018)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joel Goodson

respect my decision™
I think key to smith’s game is developing a very very consistent jumper, both spot up and pull up. He’s not quick enough to get by high major defenders on a consistent basis unless they really have to play up on him, and I don’t see him getting much quicker. If he turns into dead eye shooter capable of getting his shot off quickly, they’ll have to play up, which will open up driving and passing lanes. Smith and Malcolm similar athletically, by Malcolm had a series of unstoppable shots that mitigated his lack of ankle breaking quickness.

Spot on.

We can only kick the can down the road so many times. At some point we need to recruit depth and develop players. Regardless of Mark Smith’s value this year, he potentially had tremendous value in the future and most likely would have been a multi-year starter. This hurts, Lucas would hurt, and losing Black would kill our team next year alone. What happened to the good ole days??

If all this turns out to be true it begs the question is there a problem with the staff? We would be lucky to win 9 or 10 games next year if we lose Smith, Lucas, and especially Black. So far with the new staff color me less than impressed....time will only tell at this point. Sad

I don’t think anyone wants to see a mass defection of players here but this is the reality. Watch the top 3 or 4 teams in the league and ask yourself how many minutes any of the guys we are discussing would be getting. Frazier is the ONLY guy who should set off huge alarm bells if we hear he is leaving. Otherwise it could be a mutual decision or guys who don’t like the slightly abrasive style of Underwood. I know Lucas and Smith aren’t finished products as players but if this coaching staff can’t replace that talent level in short order then we have a much bigger problem. If guys leave I wish them all the best but I still have confidence in this staff. I called about 4 conference wins this year and I bet we see similar next year. After that this group (whatever it looks like) should start to see the wins build. It’s gonna take some time.
If it takes too much time, we will be on to a new coach. If we get to year three and no NCAA tourney, then plain and simple Underwood is not doing the job that is required.

Unsubstantiated rumor #????

If 5 Players are indeed gone and those are the 5 that practiced good housekeeping, then here is my guess, based on skill level, playing time, demeanor, etc from throughout the year.

Smith #1 Overwhelmed for most of the year, will never be the GUY, and looking for more?

Finke #2 Playing time diminished greatly, even when returning from concussion, had a great going away game, out to the sandbox to join his brother.

Vesel #3 Playing time will again be limited, the kid is just not ready for B1G Boy basketball, his skill set is there, just way to out of his league presently. Europe.

Lucas #4 Wished he would stay as well, but I think the over recruiting may be more than he wants to deal with, he got out of the doghouse, may never stay out if he remains?

Alstork #5 Gone anyway, thank you for the defense, best of luck in the future.

So with these 5 out of play, best guess is this is who we lose. Starters next year would be:

Frazier
Ayo
Williams
Black
Ebo

Bench players:
Nichols
Trice - Takes one scholly
Jones - Takes 2nd scholly
Griffin- Takes 3rd scholly
Ramey - Takes 4th scholly
Freshman Big Takes 5th
Carry over of the 6th if my math is correct into 2019, with hopes we get Liddell, Okoro, Whitney????

I don’t think anyone wants to see a mass defection of players here but this is the reality. Watch the top 3 or 4 teams in the league and ask yourself how many minutes any of the guys we are discussing would be getting. Frazier is the ONLY guy who should set off huge alarm bells if we hear he is leaving. Otherwise it could be a mutual decision or guys who don’t like the slightly abrasive style of Underwood. I know Lucas and Smith aren’t finished products as players but if this coaching staff can’t replace that talent level in short order then we have a much bigger problem. If guys leave I wish them all the best but I still have confidence in this staff. I called about 4 conference wins this year and I bet we see similar next year. After that this group (whatever it looks like) should start to see the wins build. It’s gonna take some time.

I agree with much of what you say except thelast couple sentences, depending on who we land. If we can land Tevian Jones and a big that can defend the paint, I think you see significantly more wins. Just adding Ayo and subtracting Alstork makes us a better team, and he's not all we're adding.

Deleted member 631370

D
Unsubstantiated rumor #????

If 5 Players are indeed gone and those are the 5 that practiced good housekeeping, then here is my guess, based on skill level, playing time, demeanor, etc from throughout the year.

Smith #1 Overwhelmed for most of the year, will never be the GUY, and looking for more?

Finke #2 Playing time diminished greatly, even when returning from concussion, had a great going away game, out to the sandbox to join his brother.

Vesel #3 Playing time will again be limited, the kid is just not ready for B1G Boy basketball, his skill set is there, just way to out of his league presently. Europe.

Lucas #4 Wished he would stay as well, but I think the over recruiting may be more than he wants to deal with, he got out of the doghouse, may never stay out if he remains?

Alstork #5 Gone anyway, thank you for the defense, best of luck in the future.

So with these 5 out of play, best guess is this is who we lose. Starters next year would be:

Frazier
Ayo
Williams
Black
Ebo

Bench players:
Nichols
Trice - Takes one scholly
Jones - Takes 2nd scholly
Griffin- Takes 3rd scholly
Ramey - Takes 4th scholly
Freshman Big Takes 5th
Carry over of the 6th if my math is correct into 2019, with hopes we get Liddell, Okoro, Whitney????

Well, if 5 lockers were cleaned out, keep in mind that at least one of our walk-ons is a senior.

I cannot imagine Damonte starting over Kipper next year.

There is no way we're getting Jones AND Ramey. I'd be very happy with just Jones. Very happy. Ramey isn't happening, IMO.

I agree with much of what you say except thelast couple sentences, depending on who we land. If we can land Tevian Jones and a big that can defend the paint, I think you see significantly more wins. Just adding Ayo and subtracting Alstork makes us a better team, and he's not all we're adding.

I think waiting to see who the transfers are before determining that all we are losing is Alstork would be wise. I am assuming some of the transfers will be guys that definitely could have helped some next year. I don’t think they are guys that we will look back at 3 years from now saying “boy can you imagine how good we would be if still had....).

If it takes too much time, we will be on to a new coach. If we get to year three and no NCAA tourney, then plain and simple Underwood is not doing the job that is required.

Well, can this post officially serve "that the Honeymoon is over?":D

Well, if 5 lockers were cleaned out, keep in mind that at least one of our walk-ons is a senior.

I cannot imagine Damonte starting over Kipper next year.

There is no way we're getting Jones AND Ramey. I'd be very happy with just Jones. Very happy. Ramey isn't happening, IMO.

Ramey is picking up steam and I think with Ayo and hopefully Jones in the fold, he may want to join the crew...

Kipper off the bench is purely from experience etc...you cant have all your height and experience in the starting lineup. Plus I think Williams becomes our next great defender, he already is our best rebounding guard and his offense takes a step forward as well.

Ramey is picking up steam and I think with Ayo and hopefully Jones in the fold, he may want to join the crew...

Kipper off the bench is purely from experience etc...you cant have all your height and experience in the starting lineup. Plus I think Williams becomes our next great defender, he already is our best rebounding guard and his offense takes a step forward as well.

Why do you believe Ramey is "picking up speed"? I hope you are right, but respected posters here are not as optimistic.

Ramey is picking up steam

Based on what? All indications are everywhere else except here. By all means, he would be an amazing get. Just not seeing it happening at all.

On the other hand, am really hoping Jones has a great OV & maybe can talk to Ayo while in the area.

PER Roy Schmidt, Mark met with the athletic administration and he just be granted his transfer slip

Based on what? All indications are everywhere else except here. By all means, he would be an amazing get. Just not seeing it happening at all.

On the other hand, am really hoping Jones has a great OV & maybe can talk to Ayo while in the area.

Ramey is definitely considering us more than people think. Not saying by any means we're the "leader" but it is definitely more than people think.

I think Ayo might try and come and down if schedule permits.

Deleted member 631370

D
I don't think anybody is transferring. People [some] are panicking over rumors.

Not saying the post is accurate, but funny how this is posted 6 minutes before it's then posted that Mark Smith is being granted his transfer paperwork.

I'd be utterly stunned beyond belief if nobody transfers.

If all this turns out to be true it begs the question is there a problem with the staff? We would be lucky to win 9 or 10 games next year if we lose Smith, Lucas, and especially Black. So far with the new staff color me less than impressed....time will only tell at this point. Sad

After sticking with Leron when he had issues with the law, I'd be very surprised to see him go anywhere. Lucas was starting at the end of the year, so unless we were to land Ramey, which I think is unlikely, I think he'll stay, but who knows. It's all just speculation.

I'd hate to see Smith go, but he didn't give us that much last year, so his loss probably doesn't affect our record much based on last year's stats. Plus we going to pick up other guys and some of those might have a significant affect on our record, Tevian Jones who is in for a visit this weekend for example.

So it's premature to speculate about our record when you have little idea of who's going to be on the roster.

Last edited:

Deleted member 646108

D
LaVar 2.0

Maybe Smith wants the ball in his hands, maybe he doesn't. That's not important. What is important is his dad wants the ball in his hands. This is 100% being driven from a parent. Anyone from the Edwardsville area and tied into the program knows that Mr. Smith graduated from the Lavar Ball school of parenting athletes. He's been very vocal about it. It was already being discussed in circles in Jan. Most wrote it off to speculation/rumors, but it had legs and it was stemming from the parents side. As season went on and struggles were magnified, it only gained momentum

IF Smith xfers, should not be a surprise at all. As others have suggested, kid has never experienced failure, nor has his father as a parent. First reaction is to blame the circumstances, blame the coaches, blame the system, anyone/anything other than the player. By all accts a great kid. And I think he was making strides. But the need for immediate gratification and Ayo coming in, the writing was on the wall. Wish the kid the best whatever he decides. A departure by Smith will have little impact on the future of Illinois basketball. May have some minor short term affects on downstate recruiting...TBD

I will preface my post by saying that I was thrilled Mark picked Illinois and I really hope Mark decides to stay. I think he has the tools to develop into a real starter and contributor in his 3rd and 4th year. Trust the growth process and the way things have worked for 100 years. Players get better as they get older and mature. I think it was unrealistic to expect him to take the big ten by storm as a freshman. In retrospect, that post high school all star game in Kentucky might have been more predictive of his freshman year success in D1 than his high school highlight videos.

Also, I know the board constantly raves about Fletch and how great he is at strengthening the players....however I worry that maybe they bulked up Mark too much, too fast....affecting his quickness and shot. I thought he looked a step slow all season and have thought all season the bulking up might have been a contributing factor.

But the comparison Applegate20 made to Lavar Ball is SPOT ON. One example....I used to play morning pickup basketball at the Edwardsville YMCA. Mark's dad would occasionally play too. Around Mark's freshman year of high school - his dad would bring Mark at 5:30 am and include him in the adult pickup games.

Back then, the kid was not good and the situation was like the Dude Perfect Basketball Stereotypes video where the dad brings his kid to the game detriment of all playing.

If you were unlucky enough to get stuck on their team, you would not EVER see the ball as every pass was from Anthony to Mark so he could jack up a bad shot. Most shots Mark took weren't even close but dad kept feeding him the ball - dad would even look right at you wide open, then pass to Mark. Dad's over the top effort to develop Mark was beyond frustrating when you wanted to win and hold the court for the next game. I heard stories that Anthony was the same as far back as coach pitch little league baseball pitching floaters to Mark so he could get a hit every time.

I never thought of it before but the parallels to Lavar and Lonzo are pretty strong with those too.

Regardless, I hope he stays. I mean Drury? Really? That is so far beneath his potential. Would be a bummer if true.

haasi

New York
I think Drury was a joke. I think panther suggestion might have been EIU, although who knows about any of thsi

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

foby

Bonnaroo Land
Ramey is definitely considering us more than people think. Not saying by any means we're the "leader" but it is definitely more than people think.

I think Ayo might try and come and down if schedule permits.

Ayo, Jones and Ramey. And all of the pain fades away......

Status
Not open for further replies.