Illinois Hoops Recruiting Thread (March 2018)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Black and Trice on the floor at the same time is matchup nightmare pick your poison territory for the opposing team.

Agree. We will be battling the big boys for Miller's services, unless the NBA decides they one year rule is stupid and not needed. In that case, he may jump right to the Show.

As for Black and Trice on the court at the same time, why not as the 3 and 4? Against a bigger lineup, Black can pull his defender out or have the open three. Against a smaller lineup, he could post up his man. Not for long lengths of the game, but it could work here and there, especially if Leron's three point shot continues to improve.

I think Miller will be top 50, not sure about the early NBA stuff.

I think we will not lose games with Black at the 3, but we lost plenty as the center. Think he and Kipper can spend time at the 3, and have EBO and one of our transfer bigs in as the 4. Would make Finke better at the 4 with another big body plus Black/Kipper at the 3.

skyIdub

Winged Warrior
Anyone see a cake?

Sandoval-fail.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
So I just watched a video of Tavion Jones..Anyway does he not remind anyone of Kendall Gill in the body makeup, movement and features?? I literally thought man Kendall part 2.

Gill isn't the name that comes to mind when I see Jones play. At the same stage, I remember Gill being much more lankey/thinner. He worked hard to put on muscle.

There was one video where he reminded me of Scottie Pippen as a college player.

look, underwood's offense allows players to spread the floor and work at various positions. if trice came, there are teams that we could (and would)play trice, black and a another big, moving black the the 3 and letting him have a few more perimeter shots. not to mention three other facts: we don't have enough 4's and 5's now to complete rotations, what is the future of Finke and trice will have two years of eligibility remaining allowing him to move into black's spot in his senior year and also allowing the frosh bigs and year to develop.

Miller has a rare explosiveness and quick twitch the really great players possess. I’m not saying he’s Derrick Rose, but his quickness with the ball reminds me of him.
I'm excited to see Miller play tomorrow. I saw him play a few times since he has been in Chicago. I saw more pure skill than a freak athlete. I didn't see him dunk once, but I saw 12 points in a minute or two. Just plain bucket getter. I just saw him quick to put the ball in the basket, good handles too.

BirdDog9048

The Chief Lives
Chicago, IL
Agree. We will be battling the big boys for Miller's services, unless the NBA decides they one year rule is stupid and not needed. In that case, he may jump right to the Show.

As for Black and Trice on the court at the same time, why not as the 3 and 4? Against a bigger lineup, Black can pull his defender out or have the open three. Against a smaller lineup, he could post up his man. Not for long lengths of the game, but it could work here and there, especially if Leron's three point shot continues to improve.
We don't have enough bigs currently to reliably have 2 in the lineup throughout an entire game, and now you want to play 3 at once...? :tsk: :hand:

People are actually suggesting trice and black be on the court together at the 4 and 5?
Do we want to continue our lack of stopping interior scoring and defensive rebounding?

Trice & Black are basically the same size, but their game is not similar at all. Trice would immediately be the best rebounder & rim protector on the team.

Deleted member 4960

D
Lowell Hamilton played center. If trice is athletic and can jump well he could fill the role of center. I would prefer someone larger, I don't know if our options are that plentiful.

TownieMatt

CU Expat
Chicago
It seems pretty clear that staff isn't totally sold on Trice. If they were, I think he'd already be committed. The fact that Brad himself was at Trice's game last night suggests he's still evaluating him. Several factors at play here:

- Will Leron stay?
- What 5th year guys will become available?
- What HS bigs do we have a legitimate at?
- Will coaching changes make some currently signed seniors or transfers available?

I think BU wants to let some of these factors play out before pulling the trigger on a guy like Trice.

It seems pretty clear that staff isn't totally sold on Trice. If they were, I think he'd already be committed. The fact that Brad himself was at Trice's game last night suggests he's still evaluating him. Several factors at play here:

- Will Leron stay?
- What 5th year guys will become available?
- What HS bigs do we have a legitimate at?
- Will coaching changes make some currently signed seniors or transfers available?

I think BU wants to let some of these factors play out before pulling the trigger on a guy like Trice.

He is announcing April 11th, his grandpa’s birthday. It’s possible he’s committed somewhere already but hasn’t announced yet. I do agree with all your points though.

TownieMatt

CU Expat
Chicago
The bar has been set pretty low for rim protection. Sure he can jump out of the building, but blocking shots isn’t his calling card. However, he would more than likely be our best rebounder. If Ebo gets stronger and learns not to foul, he has a shot to be a great rebounder. His per 40 rebounding stats are solid.

With all our missed layups this season, it's easy to see why the staff would be attracted to a guy that could get putbacks on offense.

ILL in IA

Iowa City
It's positionless basketball people. NO such thing as a center. Just a dude blocking shots and grabbing rebounds.

Ubermensch

BOOM! Feed my ego.
I'm excited to see Miller play tomorrow. I saw him play a few times since he has been in Chicago. I saw more pure skill than a freak athlete. I didn't see him dunk once, but I saw 12 points in a minute or two. Just plain bucket getter. I just saw him quick to put the ball in the basket, good handles too.

Yeah. I don’t mean to imply he’s Jerry Stackhouse. He’s not. But he’s incredibly quick with his feet. He’s going to be a hard guy to keep in front of you for defenders at the collegiate level. He has a quickness that separates him from other guys. He’s going to be a good one. A must get.

He can certainly get up just fine, however.

Deleted member 9739

D
It's positionless basketball people. NO such thing as a center. Just a dude blocking shots and grabbing rebounds.

What is this mystical creature that you speak of? I have not seen one of those in an orange and blue uniform since the age of the Great Egwu.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ubermensch

BOOM! Feed my ego.

Sounds like a center. It makes me wonder if this is why Illinois gave up an obscene two-point shooting percentage this season. Granted, we couldn't keep Don Rickles in front of us on the perimeter, but I'd sure feel a lot better with a 6'10" "center" guarding the rim than a 6'7" "forward." :noidea:

sdfidaho

Boise, Idaho
Sounds like a center. It makes me wonder if this is why Illinois gave up an obscene two-point shooting percentage this season. Granted, we couldn't keep Don Rickles in front of us on the perimeter, but I'd sure feel a lot better with a 6'10" "center" guarding the rim than a 6'7" "forward." :noidea:

Hey, Rickles was breaking ankles for over 70 years with that mean cross-over until his passing last Spring.
Insult comic? Nah....insult PG!

What is this mystical creature that you speak of? I have not seen one of those in an orange and blue uniform since the age of the Great Egwu.

Egwu blocked shots. But didn't rebound very well. He was often out of position for rebounds by trying to block shots. I'm not saying that he wasn't good. Just saying that we gave up a lot of second chance points due to his aggressive play on D.

I think a player like Trice could be more efficient. Maybe he can be Reggie Evans lite?

Egwu blocked shots. But didn't rebound very well. He was often out of position for rebounds by trying to block shots. I'm not saying that he wasn't good. Just saying that we gave up a lot of second chance points due to his aggressive play on D.

I think a player like Trice could be more efficient. Maybe he can be Reggie Evans lite?

The issue with Trice is his free throw shooting. I watched him last night and he missed all of his free throws.

However, the dude is rebounding machine and a monster when dunking. He had one last night that was flat out amazing.

illini80

Forgottonia
Oh boy, bad free throw shooting reminds me of Shawn Pruitt and Brian Randle. I've been in favor of Trice, but its tough to have guys you can't play down the stretch.

The issue with Trice is his free throw shooting. I watched him last night and he missed all of his free throws.

However, the dude is rebounding machine and a monster when dunking. He had one last night that was flat out amazing.

Aside from rebounding and *hopefully* interior D, Trice would help us most in transition. In Izzo’s own words, we are bad in transition. Getting steals/turnovers is great, but boy we struggled to convert. Trice and Ayo should really help with that.

ratdawg

ratdawg
Harrisburg Ilinois
Oh boy, bad free throw shooting reminds me of Shawn Pruitt and Brian Randle. I've been in favor of Trice, but its tough to have guys you can't play down the stretch.

after the last few years.. I'd give my left foot for Pruitt and Randle era players

Status
Not open for further replies.