Illinois Hoops Recruiting Thread (March 2018)

Status
Not open for further replies.
#1,076      
Not sure if it was mentioned here but Alan Griffen is actually the son of former NBA player and former Chicago Bulls assistant coach Adrian Griffen. I played middle school basketball with him. He's two years younger than me. He was the best and most athletic player in middle school and clearly his game has gotten better since. I see him being a project type player, like Aaron Jordan, and by his junior year he could become a role player defensively and from behind the three point line.

#1,078      
How does Liddell compare to Draymond Green? His stats and height sound like Draymond. It's rare to see a 6'7" guy getting as many blocks as he does yet still able to drain threes.

Liddell reminds me of Antoine Walker from his mount carmel hs years. About the same body frame, both inside/outside players with good handles. Walker though explosive athletically was extremely agile.

Love to land Liddell, Okoro, Kahill Whitney

#1,080      
#1,082      

SycIllini

Sycamore, Illinois
Is the Morrisey kid from Winnebago going anywhere for basketball? He’s had a couple of big games in the 2A tournament this week. He doesn’t appear to be a high flier by any means but, has good size (listed 6’9”), is a solid rebounder and some touch around the basket. Out played Conditt significantly Tuesday night in DeKalb Super Sectional. Then had another 20+ point game last night in Peoria. Will be interesting to see how he and Winnebago do against Orr tonight.

#1,084      

Kramer116

Chicago
Is the Morrisey kid from Winnebago going anywhere for basketball? He’s had a couple of big games in the 2A tournament this week. He doesn’t appear to be a high flier by any means but, has good size (listed 6’9”), is a solid rebounder and some touch around the basket. Out played Conditt significantly Tuesday night in DeKalb Super Sectional. Then had another 20+ point game last night in Peoria. Will be interesting to see how he and Winnebago do against Orr tonight.

North Alabama I believe

#1,085      

Kramer116

Chicago
At Dawdy Hawkins Gym in Pekin for Belleville West v. Moline. Cuonzo and staff are here, no UI coaches. Liddell is a plus athlete, plus shooter, plus ball handler. No holes in his game.

Can only watch him so many times per NCAA rules, will be watching him in state tournament.

Why are we not there? Who are we watching tonight? Liddell is a must for us next year. :confused:

See above, plus we have recruits visiting currently.

#1,086      

Deleted member 380722

D
So is anyone concerned that weve signed 4 players over 2 classes with a COMBINED power 5 offer sheet of St Johns and Rutgers? Bruce Weber was raked over the coals for recruiting and wasnt signing guys with such poor offer sheets nearly that often. It's certainly a worrisome trend, but I guess they did have 2 high profile wins. I hope this staff turns it around on the recruiting trail, starting with Jones.

The problem with Weber was that he didn't know how to recruit kids for his style, he just tried to get whoever he could. Underwood knows what he wants in the recruits he offers.

#1,087      

Kramer116

Chicago
So is anyone concerned that weve signed 4 players over 2 classes with a COMBINED power 5 offer sheet of St Johns and Rutgers? Bruce Weber was raked over the coals for recruiting and wasnt signing guys with such poor offer sheets nearly that often. It's certainly a worrisome trend, but I guess they did have 2 high profile wins. I hope this staff turns it around on the recruiting trail, starting with Jones.

No, for a couple of reasons.

Weber never capitalized on the NCAA run which was beaten to death. Underwood is coming off a terrible season obviously but we all know the reasons.

Ayo is coming. That is self explanatory.

We have Trent Frazier on the team already.

I was skeptical of Alan Griffin when the news broke. Watch the recent film of him, ton of 8+ minute videos where he is playing against multiple 4/5 star players and you can see he belongs. Will be very interesting to see him develop. I think he has a chance here. Great passer and shooter, something we do not currently have and has good length, very crafty.

Samba Kane was a late 2019 to 2018 reclassification. I think we got a steal here, might take a year or two though. You just can't teach that kind of length and athleticism and fluidity, kind of what we were hoping for from Egwu pre-injury to the back but looks to have much better hands, less robotic. I think I would have preferred Castleton, but like Kane better than any of the other bigs we have been recruiting.

Jones would be a great get as a long, athletic wing who can shoot the 3. Really want him, we have no one on the team like him. Like him better than Nolley for example.

#1,088      

Kramer116

Chicago

Saw that, but also note that was released while Dayton was still playing and do you expect a guy like Cunningham to say to a Dayton reporter I liked it here but I am going to graduate and go somewhere else?

He may or may not leave in the end, but could be similar to Alstork where he needs a few more credit hours over the summer to graduate and join a team before fall workouts begin if he goes that route.

#1,089      
So is anyone concerned that weve signed 4 players over 2 classes with a COMBINED power 5 offer sheet of Rutgers? Bruce Weber was raked over the coals for recruiting and wasnt signing guys with such poor offer sheets nearly that often. It's certainly a worrisome trend, but I guess they did have 2 high profile wins. I hope this staff turns it around on the recruiting trail, starting with Jones.

Weber got raked over the coals because he oversaw our plunge into mediocrity as soon as Bill Self’s players left.

Since the day he was hired, people in the know have been saying Underwood would not be beholden to arbitrary recruiting rankings, and instead would recruit to his system. Even if that means some head scratching offers at times.

#1,090      

skyIdub

Winged Warrior
Kane is going to be better than Castleton. Mark it down.:thumb:

#1,091      

Deleted member 175495

D
While a problem, I dont think it was the problem. Had he been recruiting his system, and signing guys with no other major offers, he would have been criticized for recruiting all the same I imagine.

It's not apples to apples. Weber took over while the program was at a all time high. We were far from that when BU took over. If the next few years go like Weber's did BU will hear all the complaints.

#1,093      
Kane is going to be better than Castleton. Mark it down.:thumb:

53697461.jpg

#1,099      

Deleted member 500209

D
Just watched vid of T Jones. Reminded me of Iguodala. Would be nice to have a guy from AZ come to The Illini.

Status
Not open for further replies.