Illinois Hoops Recruiting Thread (March 2018)

Status
Not open for further replies.
#1,202      

skyIdub

Winged Warrior
Like his brother also. Save a spot.

hey-save-me-a-seat-141914.gif

#1,204      
Watched a video of Lukas Kisunas UConn commit. Looks like a guy that could hold his own with Nick Ward. Need him to decommit and OA to use his European connections.

#1,205      

whatahack

St. Peters MO
FWIW.....Heard a mizzery reporter on the radio this morning talking about Ramey. He thought it was between UI, mizzery and Texas with a slight edge to Texas right now.

#1,206      
He came here for an official the first time around, but it seems like when players are released, it’s like starting from square one all over again in terms of recruiting. He’s certainly big, but I wonder if the staff wants a lumbering guy like that now that Samba is in the fold. A guy with more athleticism like a Trice seems like a better fit if we’re going to continue to play this pressure style of defense.

You are probably right, I just have a yen for an enforcer to park Haas and Happ in the third row. The rule of verticality doesn't seem to apply to them.

#1,207      

Deleted member 631370

D
FWIW.....Heard a mizzery reporter on the radio this morning talking about Ramey. He thought it was between UI, mizzery and Texas with a slight edge to Texas right now.

As long as it's not Missouri.....

#1,208      

The Pontiff

Chicago, IL
Who are these B or C guys of which you speak? Offering and putting in the time to get one of those B or C types are 2 entirely different things.

It seem Groce devoted all his time to the Cliff Alexanders and then hit the grad transfer route.

If we had taken a Mav Morgan project 3 years ago, we would a lot happier right now.

Sorry, CI, but got a chuckle out of this one. I get that you’re talking about putting in time and not just offering, but in one sentence you said “Groce devoted ALL of his time to the Big Cliffs” but then in the next sentence bemoan that he basically didn’t another Mav a couple of years later than we he did take Mav.

First, he clearly must have taken some time in recruiting a Mav-like project, namely Mav. Secondly, he did take Finke (#203 in 2014 on 247sports) a year after Mav. And it looks like Groce was after bigs like Josh Sharma (Stanford) and Nolan Narain (San Diego St.) in 2015. So not getting this criticism, as he must have put in time to land projects like Mav and Finke.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#1,209      

TownieMatt

CU Expat
Chicago
I'm guessing you didn't catch the h.s. game today vs. Christ the King. He didn't look awkward at all. Skilled in all phases, passing, rebounding, drives, midrange, deep. Not necessarily great, but solid in all, which is what you need from a 2,3. Like I thought DJ Richardson would be, but wasn't.

It seems like you're taking my "awkwardly athletic" observation as a knock on him, which it isn't. I've watched a lot of film on him at this point, including the full highlights of his game vs Molloy. I don't mean that he's somehow clumsy or uncoordinated—he isn't—he's actually very quick and fluid at times. That being said, he isn't a prototypically explosive athlete either.

The tweet from the NYC prep sports guy on the front page says it well: "He is unorthodox with the ball and it can make him deceptive."

#1,210      
Griffin's most impressive performance was at a 4 game tournament at Torrey Pines in December 2017. He was named MVP amongst such other notables as Quentin Grimes (McD AA), Taeshon Cherry, and Shareef O'Neal. Griffin's ascent to top level talent status is similar to Mark Smith's last year. Let's hope it ends differently.:)

#1,211      

foby

Bonnaroo Land
Griffin's most impressive performance was at a 4 game tournament at Torrey Pines in December 2017. He was named MVP amongst such other notables as Quentin Grimes (McD AA), Taeshon Cherry, and Shareef O'Neal. Griffin's ascent to top level talent status is similar to Mark Smith's last year. Let's hope it ends differently.:)

Was thinking the same. Also that it was fortunate we got a commitment before some other schools got involved.

Last edited:
#1,212      
Ebo can certainly be a legit post defender. It's almost frustrating at times that we think freshmen aren't going to get bigger, stronger, gain weight, and skill. Ebo hasn't played the game long and certainly can and will improve.as will all our players. Ebo is a solid athlete for a young man his size. This was just a huge jump in competeion especially given that he is relatively new to basketball compared to others he is facing.

Egwu took time and improved I think Ebo can too.

Agreed, I love Greg E's future.

#1,213      

1m4tr

Cliffmas
Austin Trice will be putting out a top 10. Stay tuned.

#1,214      
You are probably right, I just have a yen for an enforcer to park Haas and Happ in the third row. The rule of verticality doesn't seem to apply to them.

Agreed but Andre the Giant and the Big Show are out of eligibility.

#1,215      
Was thinking the same. Also that it was fortunate we got a commitment before some other schools got involved.

I would like to think that with Griffin's senior year that he ends up in or near the Top 100. Tough to do but Smith did it. A Mr. BB of NY would help.Looks like announcemnt of Mr BB could come in about a week.

Last edited:
#1,216      
Who are these B or C guys of which you speak? Offering and putting in the time to get one of those B or C types are 2 entirely different things.

It seem Groce devoted all his time to the Cliff Alexanders and then hit the grad transfer route.

If we had taken a Mav Morgan project 3 years ago, we would a lot happier right now.

Mav was not a project. Just because a freshman isn't an instant starter does not make him a project. Why is is often people call big men projects? If Mav was from a CU high school and was 4A player of the year would you say that? Was Rodger Mc from your high school project? Stars are so over rated, Kendall Gill was the lowest rated in his class too kinda like Trent. I'd love to take the 5a player out of Ohio every year and take my chances

#1,218      
Mav was not a project. Just because a freshman isn't an instant starter does not make him a project. Why is is often people call big men projects? If Mav was from a CU high school and was 4A player of the year would you say that? Was Rodger Mc from your high school project? Stars are so over rated, Kendall Gill was the lowest rated in his class too kinda like Trent. I'd love to take the 5a player out of Ohio every year and take my chances

Once again it doesn't matter what rank or honor he had in high school he needed a lot of development and time to contribute at the college level. He was a respectable #152 recruit on 247sports. But he averaged 1 and 2 points his first two seasons. He averaged 10 points as a senior, much improved from his first 2 years. He also had to overcome confidence issues. Brian Butch a McAA redshirted at Wiscy and also was a project at the college level.

#1,219      

foby

Bonnaroo Land
Austin Trice will be putting out a top 10. Stay tuned.

Illinois, UIC, Kansas St, Kansas, Mizzery, SLU, Iowa St, Oklahoma, Oklahoma St, Purdue

(not the illonion)

#1,220      

Peoria Illini

Peoria, IL
Illinois, UIC, Kansas St, Kansas, Mizzery, SLU, Iowa St, Oklahoma, Oklahoma St, Purdue

(not the illonion)

Well he got all of our former coaches involved except for Groce... LOL. Not to mention a couple of schools where are current coaches came from...

#1,221      
It seems like you're taking my "awkwardly athletic" observation as a knock on him, which it isn't. I've watched a lot of film on him at this point, including the full highlights of his game vs Molloy. I don't mean that he's somehow clumsy or uncoordinated—he isn't—he's actually very quick and fluid at times. That being said, he isn't a prototypically explosive athlete either.

The tweet from the NYC prep sports guy on the front page says it well: "He is unorthodox with the ball and it can make him deceptive."

Thanks, it's nice to read expert opinions on our recruits. It seems like the staff might've found a real under appreciated gem here.:thumb:

#1,222      
I would like to think that with Griffin's senior year that he ends up in or near the Top 100. Tough to do but Smith did it. A Mr. BB of NY would help.Looks like announcemnt of Mr BB could come in about a week.
He won't win Mr.BB of NY-he committed to the Illini.

Status
Not open for further replies.