Illinois Hoops Recruiting Thread (March 2018)

Status
Not open for further replies.
#1,326      
I still want to know what non-project big you want us to go after. I think you can agree that a project big is better than nothing.
[YOUTUBE][/YOUTUBE]
Plus, I realize our current bigs are developing and are young. I am not sure anyone on our roster over 6'7" wouldn't struggle to match that skill set. I think they can eventually. I liked what I saw but more importantly our Coach did too.

#1,327      
I mean, unless EJ just told Underwood last night it was a no-go, seems like Cusomano's source should inform Underwood that he's wasting his time.

#1,328      

whatahack

St. Peters MO
Never trust Cusumano when it comes to Illinois. He's a Miznoz hack through and through. That said, it's pretty well known that Liddell likely isn't coming to Illinois, but it's been that way well before Smith took his ball and went home.

Agree 100%....I can't stand him. But he does have connections. He claims mizzery is in the lead with K State and I think he said Texas.

#1,329      
C3w0eJsH2Zrl.gif

hahaha. well done. perfect GIF for the austria/australia confusion

#1,333      

Deleted member 631370

D
I mean, unless EJ just told Underwood last night it was a no-go, seems like Cusomano's source should inform Underwood that he's wasting his time.

Eh, coaches waste their time on recruits they're not likely to get all the time. Not because they're delusional or don't have good information, but because they realize that things can change. And in many cases, they keep putting in the time for the purpose of developing future relationships with that particular school or AAU program.

Seems like a poorly kept secret at this point that EJ is a heavy Mizzou lean.

#1,334      

Ubermensch

BOOM! Feed my ego.
Recruiting is often a long play, even if you already know the outcome. You have to show your face at Liddell’s games. You have to keep up appearances. It could pay dividends on the 2021 recruit from the same school or AAU squad.

Time spent in a crowd watching recruits is never, ever time wasted. Players, coaches and parents need to see you out there. K and Calipari can get away with it. Most can’t.

#1,335      
FWIW....Frank Cusomano said he talked to his Illinois source and he said Illinois isn't in the running for EJ Liddell because of the Mark Smith situation.

So a known SLU/Mizzou homer sites an Illini source and states this?
EJ said he isn't making his decision off the Mark Smith situation, which wasn't much of a situation. Smith didn't feel he fit into BU system end of story. EJ is a different player.

#1,336      

illini80

Forgottonia
FWIW....Frank Cusomano said he talked to his Illinois source and he said Illinois isn't in the running for EJ Liddell because of the Mark Smith situation.
I don't know if this is true or not, but our chances were very slim regardless.

#1,338      

Deleted member 631370

D
So a known SLU/Mizzou homer sites an Illini source and states this?
EJ said he isn't making his decision off the Mark Smith situation, which wasn't much of a situation. Smith didn't feel he fit into BU system end of story. EJ is a different player.

I don't think EJ will make his decision based on Mark Smith, necessarily. But if the two are close, couldn't it at least factor in?

Plus, EJ is never going to publicly say, "Mark Smith's transfer is impacting my recruitment". Just as a coach often keeps recruiting a kid because "things change", many recruits never fully eliminate schools because "things change". It's always wise to keep options open. But that doesn't mean that Illinois stands a good chance at the moment.

#1,339      
Bezhanishvili doesn't score much in high school. Lots of single digit point games. That usually doesn't translate very well to D-I.

#1,341      

TownieMatt

CU Expat
Chicago
The 2 videos are quite different with the workout video being awesome. Looks like he has improved very much since last fall. We do need some recent videos.

Those highlights vs Roselle Catholic are less than two weeks old.

#1,342      
How real are we taking this? I did not think we would get him in the end but if it is because of the struggles of Mark Smith and his decision to leave, that would be frustrating. But that would also mean that EJ did not have any real desire to be at Illinois.

EJ himself said that what happened with Smith has zero to do with his college choice.

#1,343      
Eh, coaches waste their time on recruits they're not likely to get all the time. Not because they're delusional or don't have good information, but because they realize that things can change. And in many cases, they keep putting in the time for the purpose of developing future relationships with that particular school or AAU program.

Seems like a poorly kept secret at this point that EJ is a heavy Mizzou lean.

Yeah, I've thought of that and it's a valid point. And, like you said, things change. I remember reading once that "the worst kept secret on the AAU summer recruiting scene is that Juwan Evans is going to Illinois".

#1,344      
Bezhanishvili doesn't score much in high school. Lots of single digit point games. That usually doesn't translate very well to D-I.

Meh, we're looking for a guy to defend and rebound underneath. We don't need a bunch of scoring from Giorgi. Defend the paint, rebound and get some put backs.

#1,345      

Bailey

Los Angeles
An actual in season game against good competition. I think this shows more why we would want him.

[YOUTUBE]p3h3Ay45Uf0[/YOUTUBE]

Matching up with Burger Boy Naz Reid. Thought Giorgi did a pretty decent job defending on post ups.

#1,346      

mhuml32

Cincinnati, OH
Matching up with Burger Boy Naz Reid. Thought Giorgi did a pretty decent job defending on post ups.

Not sure I can stomach scouting coming from a poster living in "Flavortown"

#1,348      

Peoria Illini

Peoria, IL

His on the ball defense was decent. His off the ball wasn't, at least from the highlights. Lost his guy a few times.

Hard to tell how he rebounds based on that video.

And I guess in NJ, they don't call moving screens. He got away with a few clips there, LOL.

Looks like he could run the pinch post/hand off game well. Decent shot. We could do worse.

#1,349      

Deleted member 654622

D
I for one think the best case is for EJ to pick Illinois. The second best case is he picks Mizzery and they fall flat on their GD faces!

Status
Not open for further replies.