Illinois Hoops Recruiting Thread (March 2018)

Status
Not open for further replies.
#1,476      

haasi

New York
We have an "awesome" and an "underwhelmed".... truth is probably in between.

Sent from my VS500 using Tapatalk

To be fair, I only caught about 5-10 minutes of the game. But the portion I saw, he looked awesome. Grabbing rebounds like a man, playing defense, handling the ball, getting to basket and finishing with his big body. I was very impressed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#1,478      

whatahack

St. Peters MO
Can anyone please tell me why we think there is any realistic chance he comes here? Please don't give me that playing time or other lame reasoning....thank you.

#1,479      

haasi

New York
Can anyone please tell me why we think there is any realistic chance he comes here? Please don't give me that playing time or other lame reasoning....thank you.

No there is no reason he will come here. If Musselman leaves, it’s not impossible that he’d transfer from Nevada. But hard to imagine him coming here even in that instance.

#1,480      
Was underwhelmed with Caroline today. Seems to be an oversized Ravonte Rice. But he drew the assignment on Mo Bamba and that likely reduced his offense. Don't see as an upgrade from Black. Not sure his stats would translate to BIG (Alstork).

I became a big fan of Caroline last year when Musselman was one of my favorites for the illini job. In the game below he had 45 points and was the only reason they had a chance to make the comeback.

https://youtu.be/OKF4aKOUI-c

#1,481      

kuhl84

Orlando, FL
Physical..can take to the hole... better than anyone we are likely to get inside..agree not better than black.. Alstork not in same universe.

The game is played on two ends of the court. He is a substantially better rebounder and defender than Black and plays 34.5 mpg vs 25.5 mpg.

#1,482      
You can make a valid argument that Caroline is better than Black...but don't forget..black had very little help on the front line...our roster was not good, particularly in the front court

#1,483      

BananaShampoo

Captain 'Paign
Phoenix, AZ
No there is no reason he will come here. If Musselman leaves, it’s not impossible that he’d transfer from Nevada. But hard to imagine him coming here even in that instance.

I can think of at least 4 reasons he would come here:

1. Prove himself in a P5 conference where he'd be featured
2. Better degree
3. Continue the legacy of his father and grandfather
4. Closer to home

So still not likely, but those aren't terrible reasons to make it happen.

#1,484      

haasi

New York
I can think of at least 4 reasons he would come here:

1. Prove himself in a P5 conference where he'd be featured
2. Better degree
3. Continue the legacy of his father and grandfather
4. Closer to home

So still not likely, but those aren't terrible reasons to make it happen.

Meh.

#1,486      
Who said that we'd need him to be an upgrade from Black?

We just need him to as closely replicate Black's production as possible. And of all other options out there on the recruiting trail, he would undoubtedly get us the closest.

Make no mistake.....Jordan Caroline would be a bigger impact next year than Ayo. He might not replicate his Nevada numbers, but we wouldn't need him to do so. We just need somebody to give us ~10 points and ~6 rebounds a game from that position, and I think he'd be perfectly suited to do at least that.

The Alstork comparison isn't fair for a number of reasons. One, Nevada isn't Wright State. Caroline has played against legit competition, and has excelled against it.

28 points against Rhode Island.
21 points against TCU.
26 points against San Diego State
22 points @ UNLV
29 points @ San Diego State
25 points against San Diego State
14 points against Bamba and Texas

Alstork had no such track record.

If anything, the Ray Rice example is probably more appropriate. He made the transition from the MVC, and did quite well here. No reason to think Caroline wouldn't.

But all of this is probably moot, because there is absolutely no reason to think that he's transferring.

Wasn't comparing Caroline to Alstork as a player. But could see a decrease in stats from playing in the BIG vs Mountain West. But yes he would be a positive addition.

#1,488      
In Illinois high school basketball, i thought I read that when a team wins the state title, they get moved up to the next class the following season. Is this true? The reason I am asking is I thought Morgan Park won the title last year, but they are still playing in 3A.. any feedback appreciated.

#1,489      

BananaShampoo

Captain 'Paign
Phoenix, AZ
In Illinois high school basketball, i thought I read that when a team wins the state title, they get moved up to the next class the following season. Is this true? The reason I am asking is I thought Morgan Park won the title last year, but they are still playing in 3A.. any feedback appreciated.
Never heard that before and don't think it would work given geographic and conference reasons to stay within class. Unless you mean for the tourney only...

#1,490      

TEYPAY

Springfield

In certain cases and only for private schools. A private school gets a multiplier and success factor ... so, in theory, if they win state and win state and .... they do get moved up. Public school -- no such case.

#1,491      
In certain cases and only for private schools. A private school gets a multiplier and success factor ... so, in theory, if they win state and win state and .... they do get moved up. Public school -- no such case.

Thanks. I was just thinking it would have been cool to see how Morgan park stacked up against EJ Liddell/ Belleville West at state

#1,492      

IbleedOandB2014

In BU we trust
Chattanooga
MP and Ayo better step their game up tomorrow. I came up thoroughly unimpressed after today’s game. Southeast will make it difficult but still, MP’s talent will win the game

#1,493      

SycIllini

Sycamore, Illinois

I believe it is only for private schools and it is 3 consecutive years in Final 4. Rockford Lutheran moved to 4A two years ago (I think) after being in Final 4 for 3 consecutive years. Once in 2A and twice in 3A. That’s the only example I can think of where this happened.

#1,494      

SycIllini

Sycamore, Illinois
MP and Ayo better step their game up tomorrow. I came up thoroughly unimpressed after today’s game. Southeast will make it difficult but still, MP’s talent will win the game

Is Cam Burrell going anywhere for basketball? He had a pretty solid game today.

Liddell looked awfully good today. But, keep reading he 100% Mizzou.

#1,495      
http://ihsa.org/Schools/EnrollmentsClassifications/MultiplierWaivers.aspx

A sport or activity program loses their automatic waiver of the multiplier if they meet certain success parameters. This may result in them moving up a class or two depending on how the numbers work out.

Morgan Park, like most CPS schools, is subject to the multiplier as it is non-boundried (that is the criteria, not public/private). As shown in the link above, they had the waiver last year and have it again this year for boys basketball.

#1,497      

Frank Dux

Hong Kong
If anyone gets the chance to watch springfield southeast vs morgan park for the title I would recommend it. Southeast is fun to watch. Anthony Fairliegh is the real deal for SE. Reminds of damonte and I think is only a JR

#1,498      
Is there actually anything to this Caroline thing...or did someone just throw it out there and we all started thinking about it. I'd love it - guy has an engine, plays hard

#1,500      

Deleted member 8632

D
If anyone gets the chance to watch springfield southeast vs morgan park for the title I would recommend it. Southeast is fun to watch. Anthony Fairliegh is the real deal for SE. Reminds of damonte and I think is only a JR

+1 Should be as exciting as the Kumite!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.