Illinois Hoops Recruiting Thread (March 2018)

Status
Not open for further replies.
#1,678      
That would be the worst case scenario for us.
Why? Smith will sit out a year and by the time he plays it will be the 19-20 season. That's Underwood's 3rd year and the last year we will sweat it out on Selection Sunday for a loooong time.

#1,679      

Deleted member 654622

D
We have a birth certificate on Hinson? Kids looks 30.

greg-oden-old-lebron-lookalike.jpg

#1,680      

foby

Bonnaroo Land
Why? Smith will sit out a year and by the time he plays it will be the 19-20 season. That's Underwood's 3rd year and the last year we will sweat it out on Selection Sunday for a loooong time.

I really hope you are extending that by one season. :eek:

#1,681      

jrod1286

Pat Chambers
Illinois
Looking more and more like we have lost out on a couple recruits in the past week....

#1,688      

Smith going to Mizzou is the worst case scenario for us.

1) While I have said from very early on that Smith is not a PG, and will never be IMO, he is a strong SG who will likely get better and end up a solid player, although never a star.

2) Going to Mizzou does not help recruiting and perception vis-a-vis Mizzou down South and in the St. Louis area.

3) It would likely further strengthen Mizzou's position with EJ Liddell.

As far as the statement of "that's Underwood's 3rd year and the last year we will sweat it out on Selection Sunday for a loooong time" we can all hope, but that hardly makes it a factual statement at this point. Furthermore, if BU is still sweating it and does not make the tournament in his 3rd year, it would hardly be good news for the future. Reality is that if BU is going to have success at UI, he will need to make the tournament next year, and for sure, not sweat out making the tournament in his 3rd year.

Last edited:
#1,689      
Where does a rescue class of Ayo, Griffin, Kane, Hinson and Jones rank?? Under the circumstances, I like it a lot!!

#1,691      
Where does a rescue class of Ayo, Griffin, Kane, Hinson and Jones rank?? Under the circumstances, I like it a lot!!

It would strengthen the backcourt for sure, but would be weaker in the frontcourt (which was a big problem area this past season) if Black does not come back. IMO it is highly unlikely that we are getting both Hinson and Jones.

#1,692      

BananaShampoo

Captain 'Paign
Phoenix, AZ
It would strengthen the backcourt for sure, but would be weaker in the frontcourt (which was a big problem area this past season) if Black does not come back. IMO it is highly unlikely that we are getting both Hinson and Jones.

I feel like Hinson could easily play in the frontcourt with Kane or Ebo (or Giorgi?) going forward. Especially with it being "positionless" basketball. Hinson is 6'7 and a pretty big body. Virtually the same height and weight as Leron but with longer arms. Jones seems more of a shooting guard to me, albeit a pretty tall one. I definitely think they could play together regardless. I'd love the versatility of that '18 class if it happened.

#1,693      

whatahack

St. Peters MO
From what I have heard on local talk shows, 'they' claim mizzery has no interest in Smith.

#1,694      
It will take recruits a couple years to figure out that playing for Cuanzo won’t bring them anything but disappointment

Hard to make that case now when we just had our worst season in the last 20+ years and they made the tournament this year without Porter Jr. and with very few scholarship players. Cuonzo has always recruited well, that will not likely change much, he will always recruit well. The key will be UI improving recruiting, independent of what Cuonzo does.

#1,696      
I feel like Hinson could easily play in the frontcourt with Kane or Ebo (or Giorgi?) going forward. Especially with it being "positionless" basketball. Hinson is 6'7 and a pretty big body. Virtually the same height and weight as Leron but with longer arms. Jones seems more of a shooting guard to me, albeit a pretty tall one. I definitely think they could play together regardless. I'd love the versatility of that '18 class if it happened.

Again, just my opinion, but I do not think we are getting both Hinson and Jones.

As far as "positionless" basketball, I am sorry but I had the same argument early in the season, and even before the season started, that I do not believe the hype of that statement. Positionless this and positionless that, but bottom line was that our frontcourt was huge issue this past season contrary to the "positionless" argument, and it led to one of our worst seasons in modern history.

#1,699      
It all comes down to who you can guard. There's no such thing as positionless defense. And last year, in my opinion, we had trouble guarding the five/the paint.

In reference to the post you quoted, I could easily see Hinson being able to guard a 4, thus making it possible for him and Jones to play alongside one another. Hoping that either Kane or spicy G will be able to guard the five a lot better this year

I do not want to reverberate the same argument, but that is almost identical to the long argument I had with advocates of Kipper successfully playing the 4 in BU's "positionless" system. We all know how that ended.

Hinson is no PF, he is actually more in the THT mold and style of play than PF, including defense. He is SF.

#1,700      
Wow, Hinson is a dream of a stretch four and can definitely play the three as well with his handles. His form is solid and the release is incredibly quick. Give us Jones + Hinson and I'll take the Illini back in the tourney :illinois:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FnMf2EE0gMk

To be the doubting Thomas here, the kid is phenomenal, however, can't watch this without having some Mark Smith thoughts.

A) Thicker build
B) Lacks the hops for a 6-7" player, yes I saw him dunking...barely in most cases.
C) Looked to be overwhelming for the other players trying to guard him.

Sound a lot like how Mark Smith did in school, then we happened. All that said the kid has amazing skills, maybe a year with Fletch gets him a lot more athletic and more bounce with a leaner build. With that happening this kid would be a BEAST! I like him, just temper the expectations, we know how the last one happened when we all went crazy.

Hinson and Jones I don't think would be both taken. That said, Jones is more of what we need I think.:chief:

Status
Not open for further replies.