Illinois Hoops Recruiting Thread (March 2018)

Status
Not open for further replies.
#2,053      

Ubermensch

BOOM! Feed my ego.
Here is a KenPom tweet re: Jordan Caroline's 2018-19 Nevada squad:

Ken Pomeroy
‏Verified account @kenpomeroy

Here's my computer's top 10 for 2019 assuming everyone in @DraftExpress top 40 leaves: 1) Kansas, 2) Duke, 3) Villanova, 4) Auburn, 5) Kentucky, 6) North Carolina, 7) Nevada, 8) West Virginia, 9) Gonzaga, 10) Virginia, 11) Maryland.

https://twitter.com/kenpomeroy/status/977576572977692673

I can't envision Duke not being #1 all season next year. They're going to be incredible.

#2,056      
Any of our coaches speak German in case she is cursing us while on tour? ;)
Joking, am sure she will have a great visit.

I am still in the Jones & Trice camp for filling the 2 remaining open spots. But obviously Underwood & staff have seen things in person we have not. As long as the #wewillwin turns to #truth, lets go! :thumb:

tumblr_mw0940sngF1t06mf5o1_400.gif

Last edited:
#2,057      
Giorgi dunking two balls at once at the 2:38 mark. You can also check out his dance skills as well:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8jLJVihJqD0

Looks more athletic in that video than any other video I’ve seen. Including game clips.

Here’s what I think:

1) skills yes. He can handle for his size. I posted earlier that I think he could be poor mans Jacob Parker in the offense because he looks like he already works a lot of the pinch post for his high school and is comfortable there (in the minimal clips I’ve seen).

2) but seriously, people are impressed that a 6’10 guy is dunking the ball and calling him athletic. Coordinated yes. Athletic, cmon.

I feel like my realism is being taken as I don’t want him on the team. I understand we are nearing the spring signing period with huge gaps. We’re at a take what you can get point. I’m cheering for anybody who chooses us.

#2,059      
From your mouth to the kid's skills.

He does have that type of skills and he runs the floor very very well, finishes with either hand, has some hops.

Maybe rebuilding the Flying ILLINI, then we can rename, rebrand, remascot the entire program and lift the curse once and for all. I would not mind the switch and we could rebuild everything without any "offenses" being caused to anyone. lol:chief:

#2,061      

JFGsCoffeeMug

BU:1 Trash cans:0
Chicago
I am a rookie at posting links and maybe this was already shared but I was really impressed with Giorgi in this
https://youtu.be/_SAhcxUYvb0

When you post a YouTube video, just copy the stuff after the last forward slash: in this case, "_SAhcxUYvb0". Then paste that stuff into your post, highlight it, and click the "Tube" button to add the appropriate [YOUTUBE] tags around it:
[YOUTUBE]_SAhcxUYvb0[/YOUTUBE]

#2,062      
When you post a YouTube video, just copy the stuff after the last forward slash: in this case, "_SAhcxUYvb0". Then paste that stuff into your post, highlight it, and click the "Tube" button to add the appropriate [YOUTUBE] tags around it:

All I have to say is they have some big kids in Jersey.

#2,063      

Thanks! You really can teach an old dog new tricks!

#2,064      
2) but seriously, people are impressed that a 6’10 guy is dunking the ball and calling him athletic. Coordinated yes. Athletic, cmon.

What is different is that he seems to elevate to dunk EASILY. Nobody on the team today (except maybe Spicy G) dunks easily. I like Finke but it seems like he needs 10 seconds to gather himself to dunk.

In the videos I saw of him he was getting way above the rim very easily. Maybe our expectations have been lowered over the past 3 years, but I'm not surprised people are excited about getting him in the O&B.

#2,065      

foby

Bonnaroo Land
What is different is that he seems to elevate to dunk EASILY. Nobody on the team today (except maybe Spicy G) dunks easily. I like Finke but it seems like he needs 10 seconds to gather himself to dunk.

In the videos I saw of him he was getting way above the rim very easily. Maybe our expectations have been lowered over the past 3 years, but I'm not surprised people are excited about getting him in the O&B.

Just being picky, and saying Kipper does.

#2,066      
Saw some skills in the clip but nothing resembling good defense. Doesn't look like a guy that is going to be pushed around. He could be a valuable piece but not a game changer. Not sure how he fits BU's defensive scheme in terms of quickness.

#2,067      
Looks more athletic in that video than any other video I’ve seen. Including game clips.

Here’s what I think:

1) skills yes. He can handle for his size. I posted earlier that I think he could be poor mans Jacob Parker in the offense because he looks like he already works a lot of the pinch post for his high school and is comfortable there (in the minimal clips I’ve seen).

I feel like my realism is being taken as I don’t want him on the team. I understand we are nearing the spring signing period with huge gaps. We’re at a take what you can get point. I’m cheering for anybody who chooses us.

Coordination is a major component of athleticism
https://strengthrunning.com/2012/10/5-components-of-fitness/

Last edited:
#2,068      
Because the term is subject to personal interpretation, maybe. It is all relative. I don't know how you could be offered a basketball scholarship to Illinois, and not be considered athletic. Not as athletic as some, sure. It isn't for shot put. Basketball players in general are considered to be better athletes than nearly every other sport, because of what they have to do in the course of the game.
I think it can be defined and measured some but for some I'd agree its subjective.
As for hoops i agree. Plus,i'd say it's because they are some of the most coordinated athletes.in sport. Others certainly are faster or stronger.
I will stop I am just taking up for Georgi because he is certainly very athletic for a young player at 6'10" 230. :shield:

Last edited:
#2,070      

I Bomb

Stylin' and Profilin'
Larry Bird was athletic, imo.

source.gif

#2,072      
Giogi is about the same size as Mav Morgan out of hs. But he appears more mobile and more skilled. Very solid get, need to have several dependable bigs.

#2,073      
Yeah, my bad.

[YOUTUBE]80BsbQ4uTeo[/YOUTUBE]

I’m a fan of Kipper. More so of his potential. Was just busting his chops for whiffing that wide-open dunk in the next MSU game...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#2,074      

whatahack

St. Peters MO
Are students on campus or is it spring break??? I always think it is better when they are there.

Status
Not open for further replies.