Illinois Hoops Recruiting Thread (March 2018)

Status
Not open for further replies.
#2,077      
Bez looks like a good fit for what we want to do in the post. Looks like he has the skills to shoot from the elbow and/or put it on the floor and attack the rim from the high post. I love Spicy G but he does not have the skills to shoot the mid-range or put it on the deck from 10ft in. Finke can definitely pass and hit the mid range, but he is not taking an opposing big off the dribble or doing anything in the post. 2:23 is what I’m sayin.

https://youtu.be/_SAhcxUYvb0

#2,078      

foby

Bonnaroo Land
I’m a fan of Kipper. More so of his potential. Was just busting his chops for whiffing that wide-open dunk in the next MSU game...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

:D :thumb:

#2,079      

NBB1979

UIUCFAN1
Springfield, IL
I disagree. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gXbLEjoVKZ4

He looks just as good as Kane and Ebo when it comes to handles and ups. Probably better handles and mid-range shooting ability than both.

it's hard for me to get anything from a video where it's not against live competitions - maybe it's just me though.

Just about everyone can look good when a defender isn't actually defending but standing like a statue

#2,080      
Go watch footage of Ebo at DeJesuit and you will see he has some ball skills and the makings of a decent looking shot. I think as the game slows down for him and he gains confidence we will see it more. Towards the end of the season he was starting to display some decent post footwork and even put the ball on the floor a few times to get around his defender. More than anything I want to see him actually pass the ball rather than wait for someone to run past him to hand it off to.

#2,083      
Go watch footage of Ebo at DeJesuit and you will see he has some ball skills and the makings of a decent looking shot. I think as the game slows down for him and he gains confidence we will see it more. Towards the end of the season he was starting to display some decent post footwork and even put the ball on the floor a few times to get around his defender. More than anything I want to see him actually pass the ball rather than wait for someone to run past him to hand it off to.

I agree with you and know Ebo had a more expanded skillset in high school. But let’s be real, none of that was on display this year as he is still very raw and doesn’t have much experience playing the game. Bez is a lot more polished at this stage and will be much more of an offensive threat. Also I didn’t realize he had an offer from Minny. These are the kinds of under the radar players we need with how recruiting has been lately.

#2,086      
Bez looks like a good fit for what we want to do in the post. Looks like he has the skills to shoot from the elbow and/or put it on the floor and attack the rim from the high post. I love Spicy G but he does not have the skills to shoot the mid-range or put it on the deck from 10ft in. Finke can definitely pass and hit the mid range, but he is not taking an opposing big off the dribble or doing anything in the post. 2:23 is what I’m sayin.

We don't need him to come in as a Mr Basketball, we just need him to be able to stay outta foul trouble and be able to play at this level with confidence.:chief:

#2,088      
Bez looks like a good fit for what we want to do in the post. Looks like he has the skills to shoot from the elbow and/or put it on the floor and attack the rim from the high post.

This is what I agree with. He absolutely has the skills to do those things. I just worry about his ability to actually get by a defender (imagine him being guarded by a long, athletic front like like MSU, PSU, or Minny before the suspensions) and if he does, finishing past a shot blocker type. However, I do feel he could pass out of a tough situation. I liked his pinch post reads in the video snippets.

#2,089      

wettsten

Chicago
I don't know why Mack would leave Xavier for Louisville - Louisville could be in trouble with the FBI stuff - and even though it's not his fault per se - i'd imagine the penalties will follow the program and NOT the coach.

FYI penalties will definitely follow the man and not the program. NCAA penalties (if they find the strength to do anything) will hit the program

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

#2,090      
As described by one site, 'Never judge a book by its’ cover. In Hinson’s case, do not look at his height and frame then assume you know what his game is all about. The 6-7 prospect can bang along the frontline if you need him to, but his go-to is his long-range shooting ability. He hit threes from well beyond 25-feet in a win versus the Houston Defenders on Sunday morning. Add in his ball handling and agility and Hinson’s upside is through the roof at the next level.'
http://ontheradarhoops.com/otrhoopsreport-march-news-and-notes-march-22-2018/

I think he could be a huge recruit if we can land him. Tailors de for Cosch U's offense, versatile, the guy I most want to sign.

#2,092      
This is what I agree with. He absolutely has the skills to do those things. I just worry about his ability to actually get by a defender (imagine him being guarded by a long, athletic front like like MSU, PSU, or Minny before the suspensions) and if he does, finishing past a shot blocker type. However, I do feel he could pass out of a tough situation. I liked his pinch post reads in the video snippets.

He’s more athletic and skilled than Mav was as a freshman. He doesn’t need to get by people his freshman year. If he can make the right passes on offense, hit the open shots, and make the right read to either roll to the basket or flare out for a jump shot and he will be fine. Couple that with being sufficient on the defensive and rebounding end, he could provide a solid 10-15 minutes per game as a frosh.

Mav really turned it up towards the end of his junior year and became a Big Ten caliber player, on offense at least. I could see Giorgi having that break through towards the end of his sophomore season and having a much higher ceiling.

#2,093      

Joel Goodson

respect my decision™
He’s more athletic and skilled than Mav was as a freshman. He doesn’t need to get by people his freshman year. If he can make the right passes on offense, hit the open shots, and make the right read to either roll to the basket or flare out for a jump shot and he will be fine. Couple that with being sufficient on the defensive and rebounding end, he could provide a solid 10-15 minutes per game as a frosh.

Mav really turned it up towards the end of his junior year and became a Big Ten caliber player, on offense at least. I could see Giorgi having that break through towards the end of his sophomore season and having a much higher ceiling.

Spot on.

#2,095      

Agreed! Mav may have had the potential to be stronger but in other areas I think it's clear Georgi has more potential for development. Too much emphasis is placed on rankings for foreign players like Georgi who haven't even been in the states long. Sites rank 100s of players and that is quite a task to keep updated. Though we may not all be experts. We are only focused on a few of players so it's easy to notice his talent with the sites ranking.
As for Mav I was a huge fan of him and of his work ethic and how he developed. He worked hard to be the best player he could. Id still love to have him. Hopefully Georgi will work hard fulfill his potential too. He may get an opportunity sooner than Mav did since unfortunately we do not have Egwu on the team now.

#2,096      

Deleted member 631370

D
Something to consider is that there are dead periods from March 29th-April 5th and then April 9-12th. This means that Tevian would need to start a traditional official visit on Monday or squeeze one in on the 6-8th since he is announcing the 11th.

If he indeed does plan to announce on April 11th, the timing is very good for us.

Good info on the dead periods. Really makes it hard for other schools to try to get in late with him.

Also......kids typically have their destination in mind when they announce a near-term decision date. I can't remember many instances of a kid setting an announcement date, only to pick a school that he hasn't visited yet at the time of the date announcement. I believe Landers Nolley set an announcement, then visited UGA, and then committed to UGA. But that commitment obviously turned out to be an impulsive decision that cut against the grain of him going to VA Tech.

#2,097      

Deleted member 631370

D
Follow up on the Mizzou has no interest in Mark Smith post from a day or so ago...

https://twitter.com/scottybscout/status/977696025120006149?s=19

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

I really, really don't want Mark Smith going to Mizzou. I still think he has a chance to become a really good SG, and if that were to occur under Cuonzo's watch, he'll use that to no end for recruiting in the Metro East area.

Plus, it makes it all the more likely that Liddell goes to Mizzou.

I always thought that a Metro East talent surge would be a great thing for Illinois. Now, it's to the point where I'd rather Metro East NOT produce a lot of talent, because they'd probably go to Mizzou anyway. Good thing Cuonzo will never get the most out of that talent.

#2,098      
He’s more athletic and skilled than Mav was as a freshman. He doesn’t need to get by people his freshman year. If he can make the right passes on offense, hit the open shot, and make the right read to either roll to the baskets or flare out for a jump shot and he will be fine. Couple that with being sufficient on the defensive and rebounding end, he could provide a solid 10-15 minutes per game as a frosh.

Maybe you’re right that he doesn’t have to be able to do that his freshman year. And I guess my hope of a poor mans Jacob Parker means I think he can get to that point one day. Some of the best shots in this offense come from the pinch post player reading the defense, faking the handoff, and driving to the rim. So he kinda does have to be able to do that at some point (especially because we don’t have that guy right now).

#2,099      
I really, really don't want Mark Smith going to Mizzou. I still think he has a chance to become a really good SG, and if that were to occur under Cuonzo's watch, he'll use that to no end for recruiting in the Metro East area.

Plus, it makes it all the more likely that Liddell goes to Mizzou.

I always thought that a Metro East talent surge would be a great thing for Illinois. Now, it's to the point where I'd rather Metro East NOT produce a lot of talent, because they'd probably go to Mizzou anyway. Good thing Cuonzo will never get the most out of that talent.

agree.... definitely don't want Smith going to Mizzou. it's a lose/lose for us.

Personally, i think if he wants a fresh start best to play somewhere without all the local baggage/expectations.

i think if orange and blue improve, maybe exceed expectations next season, then we will still pull some talent out of that area.

who knows? i think that Liddell can see the difference of how Mizzou and Illinois use their forwards.

random ramblings.....

#2,100      
agree.... definitely don't want Smith going to Mizzou. it's a lose/lose for us.

Personally, i think if he wants a fresh start best to play somewhere without all the local baggage/expectations.

I could see that. But I could see Cuonzo scooping up very stl/metro east guy just for the hell of it. Similar to how we’re trying to own it in football.

Status
Not open for further replies.