Illinois Hoops Recruiting Thread (March 2018)

Status
Not open for further replies.
#2,402      
I doubt Porter is there long with his kids off to the NBA. Why would he even want to be there at that point?

The Porter's have 3 younger sons that will be coming up. Plus Mike and Jontay have two older sisters who play/played on the women's team. Their aunt is the women's head coach. Columbia has always been home for them. Don't see them leaving. They wanted to get back to Columbia while they were in Seattle

#2,403      

Deleted member 631370

D
Your selective quoting of coaches win totals for their first few seasons reminded me of the times when posters would post Coach K’s win totals for his first few years as concrete evidence that Groce was one more year away from turning this around. Good memories.

I actually went through the AP top-25 and went through each coach's records. The results are that about 12 of the 25 coaches had starts at their current schools that resembled Underwood's difficult first year at Illinois. I only listed some of them. I did not list Coach K, because that has been beaten to death. But I also didn't list guys like Dan Hurley, Randy Bennett, and Sampscum.

Outside of the top-25, there are plenty of other examples of very good coaches who had rough starts. Dana Altman, Buzz Williams, Leonard Hamilton......there are lots of others who started very successful tenures with a very rocky start.

When approximately half of your current top-25 coaches -- and a bunch of other quality coaches outside of the top-25 -- have had a minimum of one bad season to open their tenures, then perhaps it's illustrative of a larger point we ought to consider.

The flip side is, lots of bad coaches also had bad starts to their tenures because, after all, they're bad. Time will tell which category BU fits in to. But the point is that bad seasons don't require a PR campaign to fix.

#2,405      
The Porter's have 3 younger sons that will be coming up. Plus Mike and Jontay have two older sisters who play/played on the women's team. Their aunt is the women's head coach. Columbia has always been home for them. Don't see them leaving. They wanted to get back to Columbia while they were in Seattle
so thats 5 boys and 2 girl Porters. Thats alot of b-ball talent in one family....and it appears they are locked into Mizzou family. Dad Porter's individual development of his kids is pretty impressive.

Sent from my VS500 using Tapatalk

#2,406      

haasi

New York
Fighting Illini Basketball Scholarship Grid 2017-2018

How many scholarships do we keep open for the class of 2019??

Good question. I’ll put the over under at 1.5. 3 open now, 4 if Vesel leaves. Def expecting to add PG and wing. Can’t imagine BU would leave 3 open - very short bench. staff casts wide net recruiting and makes a lot of offers, some of which seem to materialize quickly. In addition to bringing in PG and wing for position balance, I’d expect to bring in a JC or fifth year who can contribute immediately and will provide some class balance- so we’re more competitive this year and don’t have more than 5 freshmen in the class.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
#2,407      
Good question. I’ll put the over under at 1.5. 4 open now, 5 if Vesel leaves. Def expecting to add PG and wing. Can’t imagine BU would leave 3 open - very short bench. staff casts wide net recruiting and makes a lot of offers, some of which seem to materialize quickly. In addition to bringing in PG and wing for position balance, I’d expect to bring in a JC or fifth year who can contribute immediately and will provide some class balance- so we don’t have 6+ freshmen in the class.

I thought it was 3 open now, 4 if Vessel leaves?

#2,409      

illini80

Forgottonia
Time for some IllinoisLoyalty after dark. There is some chatter on social media that we may be hearing some positive news about Ramey later today.

They have been trying to get him to visit. My guess is that will happen, but I still don't think we land him. Can't blame them for trying as long as we have a solid backup plan.

#2,410      
Frank Martin jumping in the Ramey sweepstakes rather late with a visit to Ramey yesterday. Maybe Frank is getting guidance from Tugs Bowen on how best to recruit ex-Louisville commits.:)

#2,411      

kuhl84

Orlando, FL
Frank Martin jumping in the Ramey sweepstakes rather late with a visit to Ramey yesterday. Maybe Frank is getting guidance from Tugs Bowen on how best to recruit ex-Louisville commits.:)

Martin isn't just starting the process. He has been to see him before.

#2,413      

kuhl84

Orlando, FL
Yeah, if I would have checked 247, I would have seen he's been there a couple of times before.

I don't think anyone knows where they stand with Ramey. Coaches continue to take their shot, because he is really good. Papa is giving them encouraging feedback, including our coaches. I won't believe he is serious until they (father plus son) show up on campus.

#2,414      

jrod1286

Pat Chambers
Illinois
Time for some IllinoisLoyalty after dark. There is some chatter on social media that we may be hearing some positive news about Ramey later today.
Excellent attempt at starting a rumor, nice work.

#2,415      

Hearing this as well. Staff trying like heck to get him here for a visit. Mizzou supposedly cooling.

#2,416      
The next couple commits are the reason we pushed a few out the door. Doing work on the recruiting trail... Give it a few more weeks for it to all play out...

#2,417      

haasi

New York
The next couple commits are the reason we pushed a few out the door. Doing work on the recruiting trail... Give it a few more weeks for it to all play out...

It’s Wednesday!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#2,418      

Ward once played Russian Roulette with a fully loaded gun, and won

#2,422      

ivwilsoniv

Aurora, IL
Groce did not really walk into McLaurin and Rice, he actually had to recruit both after he came in.

Also, the team had done terribly the previous year and had just lost its most talented player (Leonard) to the draft. Furthermore, the 2011 class ended up being tremendously overrated as far as talent and players like Shaw, Djmide, and Langford clearly did not remotely belong at that level (for different reasons). It was a very dire situation, Groce actually greatly overachieved that season, when no analyst really projected us to.

His fault was that he failed to significantly improve the overall talent level despite early promise, and his inability to fill huge gaps at PG and C remained in multiple years until it was too late (i.e., recruiting both Frazier and Tilmon just before exit).

Groce did not greatly overachieve that season; at the very least, he simply "achieved.' That was a very talented team. Brandon Paul is now in the NBA, and they had skilled players at every position. Let's not reinvent the narrative here. If you compare the roster that Underwood started with in 2017 vs. the roster that Groce started with in 2012, it's not even close. That 2012-2013 team was ranked as high as #10 in the country at one point (back when Illinois was relevant nationally), and during Groce's tenure, Illinois became completely irrelevant.

Although both oversaw a precipitous fall from the point when they entered as coach to the point when they left, the program was left in a much worse position at the end of Groce's tenure than it was during Weber's.

#2,423      

ILFaninFL

Nature Coast in Florida
I hear a lot about Antigua and Coleman recruiting ... what is Jamal Walker up to? Is he the lead on Ramey?

#2,424      

Ah the good ole' ward kiss of death.
That said we could really use a few commits from the group of Jones/Hinson/Ramey and a solid big man transfer.
That happens, and things will be looking up. Without some more solid pieces coming in though, it's hard to see next year going too smoothly.

#2,425      

skyIdub

Winged Warrior
chuck-norris-super-kick.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.