Illinois Hoops Recruiting Thread (March 2019)

Status
Not open for further replies.
There are a lot of advantages to LA that offset salary. Lebron could have made just as much outside of LA but he realized he would have many more opportunities outside of basketball in LA

And there are a lot of disadvantages to competing on a level playing field.

At Kentucky, their boosters will make sure the deck is stacked heavily in their favor every single year. In the NBA, personnel decisions are made by the front office. Cal would be very foolish to jump without a huge, long-term contract.

Less than 40 days away from signing day and we have 1 legit commit (I don't think January makes it) and probably 4 more open slots (counting on 2 transfers out),who fills those slots??

Deleted member 8313

D
Less than 40 days away from signing day and we have 1 legit commit (I don't think January makes it) and probably 4 more open slots (counting on 2 transfers out),who fills those slots??
Wild guess is Terrance Shannon, Antonio Reeves, JUCO, and a transfer.

Question for the board's wisdom (it's the flip side of recruiting so I figure this is the right thread)...

What type of player turnover is likely this off-season?

• OBVIOUSLY AJ and ADLR are gone and their scholarships are open.
  • I think it is unlikely Ayo goes pro. I think he declares, gets feedback, and comes back for another year. But there is a non-zero chance he leaves.
  • What other turnover is likely to happen? I realize nobody knows, but what is the collective wisdom on
    • Higgs - will he ever play or is he gone after this season?
    • Kipper - Any chance he chooses to not continue in a system he apparently doesn't jive with?
    • Kane - I have no idea why he's getting so few minutes. Maybe he's not "big ten ready" but was our overall results going to suffer by giving him some minutes? Does he get frustrated and jump ship? Eboigbodine 2.0? (yes, I know I slaughtered that spelling)
    • Anyone else? - I can't believe anyone else would be on their way out, but i'm sitting here on the left coast and don't hear the rumors or read the papers in CU, Chicago, and St. Louis.

Question for the board's wisdom (it's the flip side of recruiting so I figure this is the right thread)...

What type of player turnover is likely this off-season?

• OBVIOUSLY AJ and ADLR are gone and their scholarships are open.
  • I think it is unlikely Ayo goes pro. I think he declares, gets feedback, and comes back for another year. But there is a non-zero chance he leaves.
  • What other turnover is likely to happen? I realize nobody knows, but what is the collective wisdom on
    • Higgs - will he ever play or is he gone after this season?
    • Kipper - Any chance he chooses to not continue in a system he apparently doesn't jive with?
    • Kane - I have no idea why he's getting so few minutes. Maybe he's not "big ten ready" but was our overall results going to suffer by giving him some minutes? Does he get frustrated and jump ship? Eboigbodine 2.0? (yes, I know I slaughtered that spelling)
    • Anyone else? - I can't believe anyone else would be on their way out, but i'm sitting here on the left coast and don't hear the rumors or read the papers in CU, Chicago, and St. Louis.

Pretty accurate. Only thing I would say is there is definitely a non-zero chance Tev is fed up.

BananaShampoo

Captain 'Paign
Phoenix, AZ
Well, one thing is for darn sure, we will find out just how close that locker room is. I'm gonna go with Kipper and Higgs leaving. If there is rumblings of Tev, AG, or Kane leaving, color me concerned. There will be plenty of minutes for these guys after a full summer.
Agree. I'm putting the over/under on defections at 2.5. Under that I think we'll be okay as long as one of them isn't Ayo, Trent, or Giorgi (I don't think any of them are likely, fortunately). Over that and I'll be concerned once again going into next season.

I don’t think Higgs will leave to play b-ball somewhere else. I do wonder if they can migrate him to an academic scholarship of some sort so he can finish his degree.

I may be way off on that but to me it doesn’t sound like he might ever play.

Well, one thing is for darn sure, we will find out just how close that locker room is. I'm gonna go with Kipper and Higgs leaving. If there is rumblings of Tev, AG, or Kane leaving, color me concerned. There will be plenty of minutes for these guys after a full summer.

alamocityillini

San Antonio
https://twitter.com/babyfacekilla0
Qn6RCNQr_bigger.jpg

Terrence Shannon Jr
@babyfacekilla0
12m

Committing Monday

Can Kipper even sit out another year if he transfers. You have 5 years to play 4 right and he used his sit out year already.

I suppose it's possibly he graduates and can grad transfer?

Shannon has 11 CB's out.

Undecided: 5
Texas Tech: 2
Illinois: 2
DePaul: 1
Florida State: 1

The most recent CB's are 2/13 to Tech from some Memphis guy, and 2/25 also to Tech from Meyer. I'm concluding that nobody actually knows where he's going, but CB Tea Leaf Reading™ indicates Tortillas.

His recruitment has been too weird for me to reasonably conclude that he's going to be an Illini, lol

Can Kipper even sit out another year if he transfers. You have 5 years to play 4 right and he used his sit out year already.

I suppose it's possibly he graduates and can grad transfer?

If he can graduate, he can definitely grad transfer. I have no idea how close to graduation he might be.

PJD86

Texas
Timing sure favors us though, Christian Brown getting CB's to Oklahoma State, Monsanto not offered, fees like a domino?

Hoppy2105

Little Rock, Arkansas
Timing sure favors us though, Christian Brown getting CB's to Oklahoma State, Monsanto not offered, fees like a domino?

I was thinking the same thing. But I still won’t assume he’s coming here. Honestly, it wouldn’t surprise me if he ended up somewhere random like Oregon State or Winthrop. TS’s recruitment has just been weird.

Status
Not open for further replies.