Illinois Hoops Recruiting Thread (March 2019)

Status
Not open for further replies.

201154JC

Rockford, IL
I think the transfer will be TJ Holyfield, from SFA. 6'8" preseason conf. player of the year, before he got hurt. Can score and rebound and would possibly start for us. Former Underwood player and recruit.
Do you know the nature of his injury? From what I can see he missed the entire season.

Recent Evan Daniels report states he doesn't believe CB visits ILLINI, OSU/NC St. favored. Not much else, the article didn't ring true with any actual inside knowledge...so? If reported before, missed it.

If this is the case, the ILLINI would probably end up with Kofi, Antwan (believe he makes it-worked all season on grades?), wing player and Juco/transfer?

Shakem (name is cool-lol) Johnson would be an interesting one...third in Juco in FG%, dunks everything. He played with Derek Culver in HS, late prospect with Kent St/Ohio interest at the time.

Still like Kayne Henry as well. Either one of those could help us if we have to get 1 from Juco route.

Cockburn, January, the SFA grad transfer and (total hail Mary*) Whitney. That should be enough to get Obelix back posting again.

* provided things break our way
Obelix could never post anything that would favor Underwood

Hoppy2105

Little Rock, Arkansas
I get the impression that Underwood could win a national championship here and @Obelix would say a different coach could have done it faster.

I’m honestly surprised he hasn’t come back. Hopefully everything is okay.

He did leave right around the time we got Kofi, which debunked his “BU isn’t recruiting very well stance.” And if BU can recruit like this, and stack these classes up year after year...yet fails...it would also debunk his “recruiting is everything for college basketball” stance.

I think once we see BU get the program back on track we will see Obelix again. (As long as he’s okay)

Question for the board's wisdom (it's the flip side of recruiting so I figure this is the right thread)...

What type of player turnover is likely this off-season?

• OBVIOUSLY AJ and ADLR are gone and their scholarships are open.
  • I think it is unlikely Ayo goes pro. I think he declares, gets feedback, and comes back for another year. But there is a non-zero chance he leaves.
  • What other turnover is likely to happen? I realize nobody knows, but what is the collective wisdom on
    • Higgs - will he ever play or is he gone after this season?
    • Kipper - Any chance he chooses to not continue in a system he apparently doesn't jive with?
    • Kane - I have no idea why he's getting so few minutes. Maybe he's not "big ten ready" but was our overall results going to suffer by giving him some minutes? Does he get frustrated and jump ship? Eboigbodine 2.0? (yes, I know I slaughtered that spelling)
    • Anyone else? - I can't believe anyone else would be on their way out, but i'm sitting here on the left coast and don't hear the rumors or read the papers in CU, Chicago, and St. Louis.
1. Ayo—his staying is 50/50. He is projected to be a mid (at best) to late (at worst) first round pick. Does he stay one more year to be a lottery pick? I hope like hell he stays but if not, I’ll be thrilled to see an Illini go in the 1st round. That hasn’t happened since . . .
2. Higgs—He’s with the team and he looks like he’s added bulk. He “looks” like a legit 4. Considering Georgi will be playing the 4 spot next year, Higgs seems like a good fit to be his backup.
3. Kane—I’ve never been so confused by a player’s usage. Can anybody explain why he hasn’t gotten spot minutes before Thursday’s game? If we get Kofi and January, does Kane have a role next year? Any theories?
4. Kipper—he doesn’t fit well with this system. As a grad transfer, he will have an opportunity to have a great senior season with a different school. I just don’t see how his playing time will increase with us.
5. Tevian Jones—this is pure speculation on my part, but i predict he transfers. He consistently has highlight reel plays. Then he forces shots and gets lost on defense and plays 2 minutes. I get the impression that like Mark Smith, he’s not meshing well with the coaches. I hope I’m wrong as he’s a phenomenal talent. I especially hope it’s not with Missouri.

• What other turnover is likely to happen? I realize nobody knows, but what is the collective wisdom on
    • Kipper - Any chance he chooses to not continue in a system he apparently doesn't jive with?
My memory is foggy, but didn't Kipper burn his sit out year in the transfer/ play 2nd semester-2nd season at Illinois. So I think Kipper has to graduate (in 3.5 yrs) to have any hope of transferring, count on a hardship waiver, or drop down a division. Not sure where he stands on graduation, but he might be in a tough spot to transfer.

My memory is foggy, but didn't Kipper burn his sit out year in the transfer/ play 2nd semester-2nd season at Illinois. So I think Kipper has to graduate (in 3.5 yrs) to have any hope of transferring, count on a hardship waiver, or drop down a division. Not sure where he stands on graduation, but he might be in a tough spot to transfer.

I’m not 100% certain, but I believe he is set to graduate. That would allow him to transfer.

Deleted member 8632

D
1. Ayo—his staying is 50/50. He is projected to be a mid (at best) to late (at worst) first round pick. Does he stay one more year to be a lottery pick? I hope like hell he stays but if not, I’ll be thrilled to see an Illini go in the 1st round. That hasn’t happened since . . .
2. Higgs—He’s with the team and he looks like he’s added bulk. He “looks” like a legit 4. Considering Georgi will be playing the 4 spot next year, Higgs seems like a good fit to be his backup.
3. Kane—I’ve never been so confused by a player’s usage. Can anybody explain why he hasn’t gotten spot minutes before Thursday’s game? If we get Kofi and January, does Kane have a role next year? Any theories?
4. Kipper—he doesn’t fit well with this system. As a grad transfer, he will have an opportunity to have a great senior season with a different school. I just don’t see how his playing time will increase with us.
5. Tevian Jones—this is pure speculation on my part, but i predict he transfers. He consistently has highlight reel plays. Then he forces shots and gets lost on defense and plays 2 minutes. I get the impression that like Mark Smith, he’s not meshing well with the coaches. I hope I’m wrong as he’s a phenomenal talent. I especially hope it’s not with Missouri.
I must check entirely different 2019 mock drafts. I just glanced at 6 or so and Ayo isn't listed in the first round on any of them. So to say worst case scenario he is a late 1st round pick is silly. Basically what your saying is he's a guaranteed 1st round pick with guaranteed 1st round money. If that's the case then he's gone.....but it's not.

Deleted member 8896

D
I must check entirely different 2019 mock drafts. I just glanced at 6 or so and Ayo isn't listed in the first round on any of them. So to say worst case scenario he is a late 1st round pick is silly. Basically what your saying is he's a guaranteed 1st round pick with guaranteed 1st round money. If that's the case then he's gone.....but it's not.
He isn’t even listed on the second round projections anymore.

the national

the Front Range
He isn’t even listed on the second round projections anymore.
His performance as of late makes me feel like he has some work to do. I really like what he’s doing on the floor but it seems that folks outside the program have cooled on him making the jump after this year. That said, he’s not too far off.

I’m not 100% certain, but I believe he is set to graduate. That would allow him to transfer.
Certainly possible, AJ did it, watching Cam Johnson who graduated from Pitt in 3, but I think he missed a semester between Tulane & Champaign, so it would be in 3.5 years

I must check entirely different 2019 mock drafts. I just glanced at 6 or so and Ayo isn't listed in the first round on any of them. So to say worst case scenario he is a late 1st round pick is silly. Basically what your saying is he's a guaranteed 1st round pick with guaranteed 1st round money. If that's the case then he's gone.....but it's not.[/QUOTE

Dang. I admit, i check the draft web sites when it pops up on my Twitter, “Ayo projected to go #16 . . .” I gotta apologize for not doing more research. As of right now, his stock has dropped. On a side note, I was stunned to see that Talen Horton Tucker is projected to go in the first round.

While I’ll be happy as hell whenever Ayo does go in the first round, it’s exciting to think how great this team will be if he returns.

His performance as of late makes me feel like he has some work to do. I really like what he’s doing on the floor but it seems that folks outside the program have cooled on him making the jump after this year. That said, he’s not too far off.
I agree, I think he peaked when he made a few dagger threes down the stretch, I think our slump hurts him .

1. Ayo—his staying is 50/50. He is projected to be a mid (at best) to late (at worst) first round pick. Does he stay one more year to be a lottery pick? I hope like hell he stays but if not, I’ll be thrilled to see an Illini go in the 1st round. That hasn’t happened since . . ..
I'm going to have to disagree here. I think Ayo is at best a late first rounder an more likely a second so I see at best. He is very talented but he still needs a lot of work to make it at the NBA level. Most mock drafts I have looked at do not regard him very highly.

Let me chime in here for a second. For starters Ayo isn't going anywhere. He wants to win and knows he can improve his draft stock with another year. Plus he is why Kofi is coming aboard and they want to play together.

As for Anthony Higgs he will never play a game for the Illini and I highly doubt he ever plays a college game. There has already been talk that he will going on a medical scholarship for his epilepsy (his symptons were unknown untill he got to school) and remain with the team as a manager but not on a basketball scholarship. As for Samba he's really an unknown and word around campus was that he got in the doghouse with BU for be lazy in practice and goofing off, but based on his play the other night against Indiana one could say he showed more energy than anyone when he was on court. Regardless he's still a very raw project who may find him redshirting or transferring next season. With January and Cockburn coming in and in all likelihood Holyfield coming aboard hes gonna be buried on the depth chart even more than he was this year. And I'll add that we are also getting another frontcourt transfer from out west. I'm not gonna say who it is but I will say he's a 6'8-6'9 215 flighty 3/4. Think Warren Carter type.

Kipper is said to be gone, he graduates in May and and can transfer and play immediately. On that note I would look for Akron to be a good possibility reuniting with Groce.

Also all indications point to Tev staying. He's bought into the system and sees an opportunity. The most encouraging thing about Tev is how's he's taken accountability for his actions and trying to better himself. He loves the coaches and is especially close with BU and Fletch. So personally I'm not worried about him leaving. I also wouldn't count on Christian Brown coming for a visit and that makes it that much more appealing for Tev to stay.

BananaShampoo

Captain 'Paign
Phoenix, AZ
Let me chime in here for a second. For starters Ayo isn't going anywhere. He wants to win and knows he can improve his draft stock with another year. Plus he is why Kofi is coming aboard and they want to play together.

As for Anthony Higgs he will never play a game for the Illini and I highly doubt he ever plays a college game. There has already been talk that he will going on a medical scholarship for his epilepsy (his symptons were unknown untill he got to school) and remain with the team as a manager but not on a basketball scholarship. As for Samba he's really an unknown and word around campus was that he got in the doghouse with BU for be lazy in practice and goofing off, but based on his play the other night against Indiana one could say he showed more energy than anyone when he was on court. Regardless he's still a very raw project who may find him redshirting or transferring next season. With January and Cockburn coming in and in all likelihood Holyfield coming aboard hes gonna be buried on the depth chart even more than he was this year. And I'll add that we are also getting another frontcourt transfer from out west. I'm not gonna say who it is but I will say he's a 6'8-6'9 215 flighty 3/4. Think Warren Carter type.

Kipper is said to be gone, he graduates in May and and can transfer and play immediately. On that note I would look for Akron to be a good possibility reuniting with Groce.

Also all indications point to Tev staying. He's bought into the system and sees an opportunity. The most encouraging thing about Tev is how's he's taken accountability for his actions and trying to better himself. He loves the coaches and is especially close with BU and Fletch. So personally I'm not worried about him leaving. I also wouldn't count on Christian Brown coming for a visit and that makes it that much more appealing for Tev to stay.
I see a lot of certainty in your statements. I'm guessing you must have connections to the department or coaching staff somehow? If so and with what you know do you think this transfer from out west or Holy field are players that would have an immediate impact next season? Would they be likely to take us to the next level, or would we still need someone like a Whitney or Patterson to really have something to get excited about next year?

Hope you're right about Higgs and that he's gotten himself into shape.

I see a lot of certainty in your statements. I'm guessing you must have connections to the department or coaching staff somehow? If so and with what you know do you think this transfer from out west or Holy field are players that would have an immediate impact next season? Would they be likely to take us to the next level, or would we still need someone like a Whitney or Patterson to really have something to get excited about next year?

Holyfield is coming off a shoulder injury. Word is he could have played this year but he wanted to be 100% wherever he transferred to. To give you an idea of his ability. He was the pre season player of the year in the Southland Conference. Holyfield is likely a starter and a great person for Tev to learn from. High flyer type who likes to play above the rim and has a pretty nice shot as well. The other guy is said to be a done deal but I'm not gonna say who he is out of respect for the source who gave me the down low on him. I will say this nobody on here has ever said his name and untill I recieved word I had never even heard of him either so anyone on here who tries to say they knew all along is full of it because he's completely an unknown at this time.

Whats crazy is the size we will have next year. Kofi 6'11 280, Antwan 6'11 245, TJ 6'8 225, and the other guy...lol 6'8-6'9 seen him listed both and 210. So as you can see where is Samba gonna get his time next year with all that size. I say he redshirts or transfers, but he does like it at Illinois so a redshirt seems like a good possibility.

I don't usually post a lot here on loyalty anymore, but just figured I'd shed some light for you diehards like myself. January is looking like it's gonna happen too. His situation is similar to what Sambas was this summer and he took the season off after the first two games to focus squarely on making sure he has the proper classes in line to get thru admissions. This is all a part of their plan. BU knows what he has with Antwan and advised him to worry more about his academics. He's still on the Hillcrest team but only practicing while he gets his classes sorted out. Seeing how he was on campus at the beginning of February for his OV. I would say thats a pretty good indicator that things are going as planned with him and he's on course. Otherwise why would they waste an OV when they're limited.

Status
Not open for further replies.