Illinois Hoops Recruiting Thread (March 2019)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can anyone tell me if Higgs experienced these symtoms during high school ?

My daughter has to take a lot of medicine to keep her seizures under control, she seizes constantly.

This is very personal to us and we want to help him ll we can.

Thanks for any response.

It was an unknown condition before he got to Illinois which is why they are giving him a medical scholarship. He started having seizures when he got under the bright lights and my understanding is it's getting worse. I doubt he ever plays anywhere, but Illinois and the coaches are being very persistent in making sure he gets a medical scholarship to continue his education there, but he's likely gonna be relieved of his basketball scholarship.

I have only seen Antonio Reeves play a couple times but have been pretty impressed. Can anyone who has maybe seen him more tell me the flaws in his game? What is preventing him from being a high major player?

Let me chime in here for a second.

So what you're saying is that next year's success will depend on improvements from Ayo, Trent, Giorgi, Tev, Alan, and Andres, and help from Kofi and some other new key contributors.

Incoming transfers can fill holes from graduations or a transfer out such as possibly Kipper, but the team needs at least one more impact recruit/talent to get over the hump. Hoping they can convince a stud to join Kofi such as Patterson. That and improvement from returnees would help to get out of struggling with the bottom and lower middle of the pack. Not easy as teams like Rutgers and Penn State are getting stronger. The B1G is one tough league.

Let me just add that the two transfers are probably the highest quality transfers we've had since grad transfers became a thing. Getting Holyfield makes up for missing on CB and having that senior leadership is always a plus. Don't overlook January he was a top 60 guy his senior year, then dropped to 80-90 this year as a prep then dropped out of the top 100 when he stepped away to focus on academics. He's no slouch. He could even push Kofi if he shows up out of shape.

I’ve heard whisperings of PF transfer from the MVC. Pretty decent player that could contribute.

I agree with above on Higgs. Not sure he ever plays college basketball with his medical challenges.

I see a lot of people penciling in January but I’d be surprised if he ever makes it to CU. I think he has some serious academic hurdles.

BananaShampoo

Captain 'Paign
Phoenix, AZ
Holyfield is coming off a shoulder injury. Word is he could have played this year but he wanted to be 100% wherever he transferred to. To give you an idea of his ability. He was the pre season player of the year in the Southland Conference. Holyfield is likely a starter and a great person for Tev to learn from. High flyer type who likes to play above the rim and has a pretty nice shot as well. The other guy is said to be a done deal but I'm not gonna say who he is out of respect for the source who gave me the down low on him. I will say this nobody on here has ever said his name and untill I recieved word I had never even heard of him either so anyone on here who tries to say they knew all along is full of it because he's completely an unknown at this time.

Whats crazy is the size we will have next year. Kofi 6'11 280, Antwan 6'11 245, TJ 6'8 225, and the other guy...lol 6'8-6'9 seen him listed both and 210. So as you can see where is Samba gonna get his time next year with all that size. I say he redshirts or transfers, but he does like it at Illinois so a redshirt seems like a good possibility.

I don't usually post a lot here on loyalty anymore, but just figured I'd shed some light for you diehards like myself. January is looking like it's gonna happen too. His situation is similar to what Sambas was this summer and he took the season off after the first two games to focus squarely on making sure he has the proper classes in line to get thru admissions. This is all a part of their plan. BU knows what he has with Antwan and advised him to worry more about his academics. He's still on the Hillcrest team but only practicing while he gets his classes sorted out. Seeing how he was on campus at the beginning of February for his OV. I would say thats a pretty good indicator that things are going as planned with him and he's on course. Otherwise why would they waste an OV when they're limited.
Thanks for the info. This is good stuff. Encouraging about TJ and Antwan but still think we need another KW, CB, or Patterson level stud.

I’ve heard whisperings of PF transfer from the MVC. Pretty decent player that could contribute.

I agree with above on Higgs. Not sure he ever plays college basketball with his medical challenges.

I see a lot of people penciling in January but I’d be surprised if he ever makes it to CU. I think he has some serious academic hurdles.

You are correct on everything you just said, except for the blurb on January. I have it from a very strong source that January is on course. It's looking more and more likely everyday. His grades are not the issue. It's all about the core he needs to get thru admissions and how some of his classes have transferred from school to school.

Like I said earlier it would be foolish to give him an OV if he wasn't on track and with the timing of his OV it would indicate that he's got his ducks all in a row and he's just got to finish his work. I will also add that Antwan himself has been very upbeat about making it in as well. I just can't see BU blowing an OV on a high risk if he didn't feel good about him getting in. I know the suspense is overwhelming but the way his whole recruitment has been handled is just something we will have to trust BU to know what he's doing.

Is January expected to show up for the summer, or are we looking at another late start like Samba? I would hope with the early focus, maybe he could get here with the rest of the guys.

Deleted member 173571

D
Tulio Da Silva is my guess for the other transfer. He was recruited to USF by OA. He is currently Missouri State’s leading rebounder and scorer. Can shoot the 3 a little too (17 of 46 on the year). He would be a grad transfer.

Is January expected to show up for the summer, or are we looking at another late start like Samba? I would hope with the early focus, maybe he could get here with the rest of the guys.
With Antwan, Kofi, Holyfield, and another 6'8" guy it would seem our size problem would be resolved. No small task to blend these guys into existing team, however and hope they are all here in the summer. Still believe defense will need adaptation for this personnel and maybe for the BIG. Coaching too good to play just one defense. Effective when it is a surprise but not the whole game. Lots of possibilities with these pieces and a chance for BU to show he belongs.

I do not believe Calipari would go there, even if offered. His huge advantage in the NCAA arena is that he can buy superior talent. The NCAA would never harm their love-child. So, he’s able to buy the best players.

I do not think he has the coaching chops to win on an even playing field. Plus, since there are no penalties (of consequence) handed down to the favorites, he has no incentive to leave.

Cynical viewpoint, and probably accurate.

1. If you are recruiting one PG for 2020, who would it be?

Bossi: If we are talking pure point guards, I would probably look to invest my time with
Daishen Nix. He’s a pure passer, has an off the charts basketball IQ and specializes in creating wide open looks for his teammates. Nix has tremendous size at 6-foot-4 and can be a good scorer too. I’m reminded some of watching Deron Williams at the same age when I watch him play.

His recruitment is wide open as Arizona, Illinois,Kansas, LSU, Memphis, Oklahoma, Washington, West Virginia and many others have offered.

https://basketballrecruiting.rivals...lass-of-2020-point-guards-final-four-sleepers

jmilt7

Waukegan
Let me chime in here for a second.

I was going to post my much more pessimistic guesses on transfers as others have so far. I have just had this feeling that TJ was going. I keep thinking his is a situation similar to DJ Williams; showing flashes of greatness but not really getting in the games and I figure he would transfer out, too. And Kipper as well which may still happen apparently. I remember in the fall of 2016 reading on this board how Kipper was going to become available after his first semester sit out, immediately start for the Illini and take us to a national championship. Ok, slight exaggeration but I remember how a lot of people were very high on him. Just too bad things didn’t work out better. And then along comes Davo79 and my world looks better again. Great stuff. More optimistic than I would have been considering the nose dive Illinois has taken the last couple of weeks. With insider information like this we can just about close down the recruiting thread and wait for Davo79 to post. Really, no disrespect, no sarcasm. I actually feel pretty good now. More optimistic than this dismal season would suggest. The only downside is that we have to wait for the announcements and wait for next season. So I am just going to post my one prediction, the one transfer that no one will see coming, Tyler Underwood to Akron (or Kansas State).

Like I said earlier it would be foolish to give him an OV if he wasn't on track and with the timing of his OV it would indicate that he's got his ducks all in a row and he's just got to finish his work. I will also add that Antwan himself has been very upbeat about making it in as well. I just can't see BU blowing an OV on a high risk if he didn't feel good about him getting in. I know the suspense is overwhelming but the way his whole recruitment has been handled is just something we will have to trust BU to know what he's doing.

Sadly, I could easily see January and the staff being on one page while the Admissions office is on another. It has been shown time and time again that Admissions and the Athletic Department do not communicate in a reasonable manner on issues like this.

Sadly, I could easily see January and the staff being on one page while the Admissions office is on another. It has been shown time and time again that Admissions and the Athletic Department do not communicate in a reasonable manner on issues like this.

NCAA qualification issue not UI admissions issue.

NCAA qualification issue not UI admissions issue.

I'm not saying our Admissions is holding kids to a higher standard, I am saying that we are taking reactive approaches to it while everyone else takes proactive approaches.

I'm talking about stuff like Kane, where it was having the paperwork done in a timely manner to get him on campus. January's paperwork is not going to be textbook, I think we all agree to that. My worry is that Admissions will discover an issue late, when it could have been discovered and dealt with earlier.

I thought Tev was one of the draws for Antwan and helped us get in on him. I thought they looked forward to playing together.

Status
Not open for further replies.