Illinois Hoops Recruiting Thread (March 2019)

Status
Not open for further replies.

drsmitty74

Rochester
Why?

Yes, we need a wing. But I think we'll land an as good (or better) player, without the baggage/drama.

And if we don't? Don't a lot of kids come with baggage/drama these days? So he decommitted.........as do lots of players it seems these days. Do you really base the fact that he decommitted from DePaul as a signal that he's too much of a headcase/drama/baggage for our O&B? He is 17-18 years old........they change their minds. I'd welcome him with open arms. What happens if January can't get cleared? Especially when the only thing we are sure of...Kofi....... isn't even signed yet.
If TSJ says today, I'm an Illini, then I want him on board.

Any insight on what happened with Brown?
I wouldn't say its over but it doesn't look good right now. This has been a follow the visits recruitment...there is a new leader after every visit. Easily courted by whichever campus he is on.

Joel Goodson

respect my decision™
And if we don't? Don't a lot of kids come with baggage/drama these days? So he decommitted.........as do lots of players it seems these days. Do you really base the fact that he decommitted from DePaul as a signal that he's too much of a headcase/drama/baggage for our O&B? He is 17-18 years old........they change their minds. I'd welcome him with open arms. What happens if January can't get cleared? Especially when the only thing we are sure of...Kofi....... isn't even signed yet.
If TSJ says today, I'm an Illini, then I want him on board.

We (the fanbase) operate in a world of incomplete information. Lots of assumptions and bad takes. I have faith that we'll land a good wing. If we don't, that's a clear fail.

WRT to TSJ, there's been enough erratic behavior to call it a warning sign. I'd still take him, but he has to want to come (obviously). Likely, staff decided to cut bait. #notaninsider

Dren1

Glenview, IL
Who was it that said we were told that we weren't going to get two from Oak Hill, and that honor was reserved for certain schools like UK and Duke? I don't remember if this was stated as fact or rumor or purely speculation.
FWLIW, it was this post.
https://www.illinoisloyalty.com/For...iting-thread-february-2019.24835/post-1450112
"Staff was previously told they were not going to get a visit from CB because Illinois was not going to get 2 Oak Hill kids out of the same class. Period. Only the "Big Boyz" have that privilege..."

I wouldn't say its over but it doesn't look good right now. This has been a follow the visits recruitment...there is a new leader after every visit. Easily courted by whichever campus he is on.

Maybe he is enjoying the process and seemingly enamored with the newest flavor of the week with each visit? If so, it would behoove us to be able to get a visit...or maybe/just maybe after he leaves each destination, he has thoughts of staying with one of his brothers at the next stop, which would still give us some hope.?

drsmitty74

Rochester

illiniswish09

Northwest Suburbs
My biggest fear- Illini lose to Northwestern Wednesday, Tevian Jones doesn’t play a minute and a week or so later decides he wants out and announces he’s transferring. He gets his boy January to flip his Illini commitment to go to Arizona with him and we see them in Tucson next year.

My biggest hope- illini beat Northwestern and Iowa with guys like Tevian and Alan contributing and we have some positive momentum heading into the offseason. Ayo returns, no major transfers out and we add Cockburn, January, dude from SFA and dude from Missouri St. Illini get back to the dance next year, Ayo is a lottery pick and Adam Miller eventually commits to Illini. Alan Griffin takes a big sophomore leap and we become front runners for his superstar bro. Tevian also takes a big sophomore leap and January is bought in/looks promising, creating a little bit of a west coast pipeline for us...

Ok I got a little carried away there.

drsmitty74

Rochester
Interesting

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    17 KB · Views: 1,754
Hope he will be here in the summer. Has potential but hoping for Giorgi not Tevian. Will need him or Samba as backup.

sacraig

The desert
He is a bit overrated imo. If you went to his workout during his official when he scrimmaged with the team he got locked up by Tev and I mean locked up couldnt do anything on offense....and Tev isnt exactly a lock down defender.

Tev is a player that was comparably range but is a year older than Shannon with experience practicing in a college system against college players. It's not really a fair fight unless Shannon was a 5-star.

Brown is suspected of going to OSU...they have already signed 2 6-6" 4* and 3* along with a rail thin 6-9" player as well a 3*....

Mom isn't sure of weather change there, which wouldn't bode well for us either imo?

https://247sports.com/Article/Oklahoma-State-basketball-recruiting-2019-Christian-Brown-129846305/

My key takeaway: "Stillwater is a true college town, I would just have to get used to the weather compared to South Carolina.”

Why would his mom have to get used to the weather? Wouldn't she still live in South Carolina while he went to school at OK State and she would just come to visit a few times a year?

OK $tate offered Brian Bowen this, "Oklahoma State: $150,000, $8000 for a car, money for a house." Could be something very similar on the table for Brown.

Lots of families move to the college town to follow a high level recruit. They want to stay close to make sure the wrong people don't latch on to their children (or the right wrong people, depending on your level of cynicism).

My key takeaway: "Stillwater is a true college town, I would just have to get used to the weather compared to South Carolina.”

Why would his mom have to get used to the weather? Wouldn't she still live in South Carolina while he went to school at OK $tate and she would just come to visit a few times a year?

OK $tate offered Brian Bowen this, "Oklahoma State: $150,000, $8000 for a car, money for a house." Could be something very similar on the table for Brown.

Anybody that doesn't think that the Brown recruitment has a very, very gray shade to it is very naive.

sacraig

The desert
Anybody that doesn't think that the Brown recruitment has a very, very gray shade to it is very naive.

For the record, what I am about to say does not endorse the idea that anything untoward is or is not occurring with Brown. I have no inside information and am not accusing anyone of anything. Now, having said that:

Whatever shade of gray it is or isn't, it likely isn't so cut-and-paste from the Bowen situation. Lest we all forget, there is an FBI investigation ongoing, and you have to imagine any activity currently occurring under the table is probably not going to be occurring in quite the same way it has in the past, especially at a university so deeply mired in the ongoing investigation. If your cover is blown, you don't keep using the same cover. Therefore, I'd be a little surprised if something as overtly suspicious as paying his mom to move out to Stillwater was occurring. If she moves out there, it's likely on her dime and of her own volition (or at least can be plausibly depicted as such with bank statements to prove it). You have to think anything improper would be handled in a way that a bunch of random message board fans don't immediately find the smoking gun, let alone the ongoing federal investigation with subpoena power.

Just saying...

I do find it interesting that one of Christian Brown's OV's was to LSU. Also I wonder if Jawun Evans' Mom moved herself from South Carolina to Dallas??

It seemed like Creighton was the leader for a while for Enaruna. I wonder if their assistant coach being placed on administrative leave will effect his recruitment. His recruitment blew up at the BWB camp where Duke and Kentucky started talking to him. It would be great if we were still on his radar because i think he could be a great player. I just havn't heard or read anything that makes it seem like he's that interested.

Status
Not open for further replies.