Illinois Hoops Recruiting Thread (March 2019)

Status
Not open for further replies.
For the record, what I am about to say does not endorse the idea that anything untoward is or is not occurring with Brown. I have no inside information and am not accusing anyone of anything. Now, having said that:

Whatever shade of gray it is or isn't, it likely isn't so cut-and-paste from the Bowen situation. Lest we all forget, there is an FBI investigation ongoing, and you have to imagine any activity currently occurring under the table is probably not going to be occurring in quite the same way it has in the past, especially at a university so deeply mired in the ongoing investigation. If your cover is blown, you don't keep using the same cover. Therefore, I'd be a little surprised if something as overtly suspicious as paying his mom to move out to Stillwater was occurring. If she moves out there, it's likely on her dime and of her own volition (or at least can be plausibly depicted as such with bank statements to prove it). You have to think anything improper would be handled in a way that a bunch of random message board fans don't immediately find the smoking gun, let alone the ongoing federal investigation with subpoena power.

Just saying...

I said something very similar to this on the FBI thread soon after the story broke and was blown off for being naive. I suppose it's just easier to have built in excuse when things don't go our way. Like putting dollar sign in the name of every single school that we lose a recruit to. This leads me to believe they'rel be a lot of confusion if we ever lose a recruit to the Green Wave of Tulane.

ILL in IA

Iowa City
I said something very similar to this on the FBI thread soon after the story broke and was blown off for being naive. I suppose it's just easier to have built in excuse when things don't go our way. Like putting dollar sign in the name of every single school that we lose a recruit to. This leads me to believe they'rel be a lot of confusion if we ever lose a recruit to the Green Wave of Tulane.
This is why the preferred vernacular is ILLINI, ILLINOI$ implies we are up to no good.

Illinois is a top-15 basketball program of all time, is a basketball-crazed school and the flagship program in one of the largest basketball-crazed states.

If we are not getting any of the top recruits, I think you can reasonably assume that we aren't cheating (or not cheating as much as our competitors).

Maybe this was discussed in the past and I missed it, but did we recruit Cole Anthony at all? I didn’t realize he was uncommitted. We’ve talked a lot about Christian Brown because he’s Kofi’s teammate, but what about Anthony?

Maybe this was discussed in the past and I missed it, but did we recruit Cole Anthony at all? I didn’t realize he was uncommitted. We’ve talked a lot about Christian Brown because he’s Kofi’s teammate, but what about Anthony?

Pretty sure him and especially his father knows he will be going to 1 school and 1 only....would be a shock if he went anywhere other than UNC imo.

jmilt7

Waukegan
I do find it interesting that one of Christian Brown's OV's was to LSU. Also I wonder if Jawun Evans' Mom moved herself from South Carolina to Dallas??

Lester Quinones was considered a probable to LSU. I wonder if he is re-thinking and considering Illinois, although I realize we were not in his top 7 so probably not.

jmilt7

Waukegan
It seemed like Creighton was the leader for a while for Enaruna. I wonder if their assistant coach being placed on administrative leave will effect his recruitment. His recruitment blew up at the BWB camp where Duke and Kentucky started talking to him. It would be great if we were still on his radar because i think he could be a great player. I just havn't heard or read anything that makes it seem like he's that interested.
Yeah, doesn't look like Illinois is very active in his recruitment, at least according to this article:

https://247sports.com/Article/BWB-T...camp-gets-calls-from-Duke-Kentucky-129260330/

From the article:

"Enaruna said. “I’m talking to Duke a lot. They hit me up last week through the phone so I have been talking with them for a while. I’m still talking with Creighton a lot too, Miami, Texas is coming up to my game [on Tuesday], so I’ll probably hear something more from them after tomorrow.”

“I think I will probably make a decision around mid-March, maybe the end of March, but I’d say that’s the most accurate for now,” Enaruna said."

No mention of Illinois

Yeah, doesn't look like Illinois is very active in his recruitment, at least according to this article:

https://247sports.com/Article/BWB-T...camp-gets-calls-from-Duke-Kentucky-129260330/

From the article:

"Enaruna said. “I’m talking to Duke a lot. They hit me up last week through the phone so I have been talking with them for a while. I’m still talking with Creighton a lot too, Miami, Texas is coming up to my game [on Tuesday], so I’ll probably hear something more from them after tomorrow.”

“I think I will probably make a decision around mid-March, maybe the end of March, but I’d say that’s the most accurate for now,” Enaruna said."

No mention of Illinois
I know it's hard to do but don't read to much into the no mention of Illinois.

I know it's hard to do but don't read to much into the no mention of Illinois.

BUT in this case, with the schools he is mentioning, we probably shouldn't read much into it even if he did mention Illinois.

Deleted member 8313

D
With Holyfield looking like a sure thing, is the rotation Giorgi or Kofi starting @ center, Holyfield pf, Williams sf, Ayo (if he stays) & Frazier at the guards, with Feliz, Jones & Griffin off the bench?

I know another transfer could change this. Are there any Juco's they're in on?

They are trying to schedule a visit with Holyfield. One of the purposes is to assure them that his shoulder is medically sound.

Deleted member 8313

D
They are trying to schedule a visit with Holyfield. One of the purposes is to assure them that his shoulder is medically sound.
From what I've read, he's considered a very good defensive player and averaged over 1 block per game. He seems like exactly what they need. The current team has zero rim protection.

With Holyfield looking like a sure thing, is the rotation Giorgi or Kofi starting @ center, Holyfield pf, Williams sf, Ayo (if he stays) & Frazier at the guards, with Feliz, Jones & Griffin off the bench?

I know another transfer could change this. Are there any Juco's they're in on?

Didn't know that is what it looked like. Interesting. Good news.

I'm beginning to warm to this late recruiting push by the staff. With 2-4 open slots, there is a lot more available than I once thought. A lot of 2019 reclassification talk plus we have not gone through the fired coaches' recruits yet. Throw in 5th grads and JUCOs and things could get interested. Once it was thought that late recruiting was for the leftovers. Not so sure anymore.

2020 Guard/Forward combo 6-7" Jayden Scrubb...take a little trip to John Logan in Carterville BU....would be a very good get in that class.

Getting high major attention and he is already in state! Guess who was the latest offer.....Bruce Almighty!

With Holyfield looking like a sure thing, is the rotation Giorgi or Kofi starting @ center, Holyfield pf, Williams sf, Ayo (if he stays)
Is this really still a question? I know it keeps coming up, but he is clearly not ready for the NBA. He has been very good, but I'm not sure he has a single NBA-ready skill and he would be a 2nd round pick at best. Hopefully sound advice prevails and his team realizes that he needs at least another year of development before even considering the NBA.

I'm beginning to warm to this late recruiting push by the staff. With 2-4 open slots, there is a lot more available than I once thought. A lot of 2019 reclassification talk plus we have not gone through the fired coaches' recruits yet. Throw in 5th grads and JUCOs and things could get interested. Once it was thought that late recruiting was for the leftovers. Not so sure anymore.
I'd still like to see something more than last year. Griffin, Jones, and Kane may all end up being solid guys, but I'd rather be looking to fill 2/3 scholarships this late, rather than 4/5/6.

Giorgi is more than likely an anomaly. But I fully understand theres almost always 2/3 guys on a roster at any time that are projects are just bust type players. I think the goal should be to always have 3-5 upperclassman at the very least, before grad/juco transfers roll in. Maybe that's still too archaic for the circus of transfers now, but being in the situation we are in feels worse than having 3 guys already locked up. I still believe in this staffs ability to get talent, I'm more shaky of their ability to put it together. Kofi bought them a lot of clout in my eyes.

Is this really still a question? I know it keeps coming up, but he is clearly not ready for the NBA. He has been very good, but I'm not sure he has a single NBA-ready skill and he would be a 2nd round pick at best. Hopefully sound advice prevails and his team realizes that he needs at least another year of development before even considering the NBA.
Guards are much less so drafted based on potential, compared to forwards, but if you watched the games Ayo played well in, you saw an NBAer. I dont think he will leave this year, but the odds are probably closer to 50/50 than 0/100. His driving ability is NBA ready. His size is appealing. his 3 pt shot is obviously on the rise. If I'm a team in the backend of the draft (25-30), I think getting a guy like Ayo makes a lot of sense. Of course, it's based almost purely on potential.

Joel Goodson

respect my decision™
2020 Guard/Forward combo 6-7" Jayden Scrubb...take a little trip to John Logan in Carterville BU....would be a very good get in that class.

Getting high major attention and he is already in state! Guess who was the latest offer.....Bruce Almighty!

Scrubb: almost as well named as the Bears' new kicker.

Bruce Almighty: yikes, I had successfully forgotten about that. Thanks a lot.

Guards are much less so drafted based on potential, compared to forwards, but if you watched the games Ayo played well in, you saw an NBAer. I dont think he will leave this year, but the odds are probably closer to 50/50 than 0/100. His driving ability is NBA ready. His size is appealing. his 3 pt shot is obviously on the rise. If I'm a team in the backend of the draft (25-30), I think getting a guy like Ayo makes a lot of sense. Of course, it's based almost purely on potential.

Funny I don't think his driving ability is NBA ready at all...I mean yes he can push the ball, but he gets caught in the air, tied up for jump balls, jumps into people...in the NBA those same people will be much bigger and stronger than the ones stopping him now?

I would say he is 2nd rounder for sure....http://www.basketballinsiders.com/nba-daily-60-pick-nba-mock-draft-3-12-19/, 25 past could all be interchangable...in fact many past where Ayo is listed at #40, could be interchangeable.

Scrubb: almost as well named as the Bears' new kicker.

Bruce Almighty: yikes, I had successfully forgotten about that. Thanks a lot.

My last sentencing said community service...so there you go!

Status
Not open for further replies.