Illinois Hoops Recruiting Thread (March 2019)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 8632

D
Let's be more positive here...We are going to pick up 2-3 more guys that will really help in the future. Our front court is going to be stacked next year, and the two wings will be greatly improved. Assuming Ayo stays we have a top 10 backcourt in the country next year with him and Trent
Positivity!!! We don't need no stinking positivity!!!

Soulberries

University of Illinois
Give the guy (Kipper) a break. Being an athlete is a tremendous time commitment and not everyone can handle 15 hours in addition to their athletic scholarship responsibilities. When I was a student here, I had to work 30 hours per week and ended up cutting back to 12 hours to save my gpa. It took me 4 1/2 years. Not to mention, that some students need to work during the summer so they have some spending money throughout the school year. The NCAA only requires that 80 percent of the hours needed for graduation be completed by the end of the 4th year.

IF we get 1/2 more 6'8"+ guys, and IF kipper stays, I could easily see him regressing back to his soph year. He is out of position guarding 4's. It takes a lot out of a player guarding positions that are bad matchups. He was forced to play even more out of position at the 5. Regardless of BU's positionless system, or how athletic Kipper is, 90% of players are going to see a downtick in their efficiency doing what he was asked to.

Holyfield would be a great addition, and I hope Giorgi can gain a bit more lateral speed so he could play the 4, but even another guy would really be helpful.

Quite a few players and even more students can graduate in that time. That's why you see non-redshirts doing grad transfers.

I had a roommate complete 2 majors and a minor in 4 years and he wasn't on campus during the summer like athletes. Even at 12 credit hours a semester I would think he should have enough credits to graduate.

LAS needs a minimum of 120 hours or an average of 15 per semester. Most basketball players scale back in season to 12 hours. So it's pretty simple math.

Except they are on campus for summer. They would only need to make up 6 hrs per year during the summer under your 12 hr during the season scenario. Really not difficult.

You do realize that Nichols did not enroll until 2nd semester of his first year and had no credits from Tulane?

Tevo

Wilmette, IL
Latest 247 sports rankings for 2021 has Christie of Rolling Meadows at #7 and A.J. Griffin (Alan's brother) @ #12. We won't get a sniff of either.

Wait until they drop to the 80's as Juniors, then it'll be Illinois time!

Deleted member 746317

D
Let's be more positive here...We are going to pick up 2-3 more guys that will really help in the future. Our front court is going to be stacked next year, and the two wings will be greatly improved. Assuming Ayo stays we have a top 10 backcourt in the country next year with him and Trent
I really like optimistic view. Do you think Ayo and Trent will be able to play at a high level at the same time next year? Didn't see much of that this year. I've thought, and other posters have said, that Trent has had some role-conflict/confidence/decisiveness struggles caused by Ayo's presence. If Trent figures that out AND Ayo plays consistently at a high level next year, then I really do think we have a heck of a backcourt next year. Also, if the backcourt truly would be top 10, then it would be so in part because of what Feliz brings.

This strand of conversation probably belongs in the 2019-20 thread, but I'd be interested in other people's thoughts about Ayo as the designated point guard. Too lazy to go find it in whatever thread it was mentioned, but someone did say previously that Ayo should become the anointed quarterback/point for us and Trent should be the shooting guard who can create shots. I like this idea, as I think Ayo's height/length is an advantage at point that gives him better passing opportunity. I also like the idea that Ayo can get his shot off easier, if he's putting it up when the opponents are playing him to pass.

Tevo

Wilmette, IL
IF we get 1/2 more 6'8"+ guys, and IF kipper stays, I could easily see him regressing back to his soph year.

I don't understand this thinking. If we get 1/2 of 6'8" guys, isn't that only like 3'4" each? How's a guy that size going to take Kipper's role? Not going to get many rebounds unless he has great technique. Or do you expect their growth plates are still open...?

Don't understand taking the transfers except for a position of immediate need like a PF. Rather red shirt freshmen and have four years of eligibility left. Seems like a three star with a year of practice is the equivalent of a four star frosh.

I’d rather have guys that can play. It would be great if Samba, Tev, and AG all developed well and turned into big time players. But there is no guarantee of that. We need talent and it shouldn’t matter where that talent comes from.

I’d rather have guys that can play. It would be great if Samba, Tev, and AG all developed well and turned into big time players. But there is no guarantee of that. We need talent and it shouldn’t matter where that talent comes from.
True but haven't seen it in past transfers. At most they were role players and it seems assumed that their stats from lower level schools will translate. Dre has been the best transfer I can remember and his 3pt% didn't travel. If it takes a year to learn BU's system, it doesn't leave much time. It has been said frequently that it takes time, particularly for a big, and seems like most are giving up on Samba after what should have been a red shirt year. Seems like a lot of people view recruits as the saviors until they aren't.

Dbell1981

Decatur, IL
True but haven't seen it in past transfers. At most they were role players and it seems assumed that their stats from lower level schools will translate. Dre has been the best transfer I can remember and his 3pt% didn't travel. If it takes a year to learn BU's system, it doesn't leave much time. It has been said frequently that it takes time, particularly for a big, and seems like most are giving up on Samba after what should have been a red shirt year. Seems like a lot of people view recruits as the saviors until they aren't.
Yeah man it is crazy to give up on Samba. Let me remind folks that Egwu averaged 1.9ppg, 0.6 bpg, 1.5 rpg. All with 10 minutes per game. I dont even think Kane has scratched the surface of what he will be in a couple years.

MainelyIllini

uh, Maine
"We need the dudes"

source.gif

Deleted member 4960

D
Yeah man it is crazy to give up on Samba. Let me remind folks that Egwu averaged 1.9ppg, 0.6 bpg, 1.5 rpg. All with 10 minutes per game. I dont even think Kane has scratched the surface of what he will be in a couple years.
I agree, people give up too quick on players if they aren’t great their freshman year. Way too many past big men in our history that blossomed late to give up on Samba. Morgan, Archibald, Gandy, plus Leonard didn’t do much till his sophomore yr. have to remember Samba didn’t get the summer to work out like Giorgi did. I still think he can contribute significantly.

illiniCA

DC Area
I agree, people give up too quick on players if they aren’t great their freshman year. Way too many past big men in our history that blossomed late to give up on Samba. Morgan, Archibald, Gandy, plus Leonard didn’t do much till his sophomore yr. have to remember Samba didn’t get the summer to work out like Giorgi did. I still think he can contribute significantly.

Giorgi is an outlier..... we should not expect freshman bigs to be a productive as he was even much much high rated ones.

This is why a guy like Holyfield would be a very good get. He has already played in this system. Recruits don't need to be "saviors" they just need to be better than what we have. The Illini are not far from being a tournament team. They have guys on the roster who should hopefully improve enough to at least get us on the bubble next year. They don't need saved, but they need as much help as they can get. A rebound here or there might be the difference between dancing, NIT, or watching everyone else...again...

This is why a guy like Holyfield would be a very good get. He has already played in this system. Recruits don't need to be "saviors" they just need to be better than what we have. The Illini are not far from being a tournament team. They have guys on the roster who should hopefully improve enough to at least get us on the bubble next year. They don't need saved, but they need as much help as they can get. A rebound here or there might be the difference between dancing, NIT, or watching everyone else...again...

Holyfield is a perfect fit in so many ways. We should be very happy to land him.

Status
Not open for further replies.