Illinois Hoops Recruiting Thread (March 2019)

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is why a guy like Holyfield would be a very good get. He has already played in this system. Recruits don't need to be "saviors" they just need to be better than what we have. The Illini are not far from being a tournament team. They have guys on the roster who should hopefully improve enough to at least get us on the bubble next year. They don't need saved, but they need as much help as they can get. A rebound here or there might be the difference between dancing, NIT, or watching everyone else...again...
Agree as he is in a position of need and has experience. Even with Giorgi playing the 4 there is no established big backup.

There are 40 minutes available for a 5. If Georgi and Kofi each gets 24 minutes there are only 8 minutes when both would be on the court. Put another way,, Georgi would be on the court for 16 minutes without another post player, assuming Samba is not contributing. That leaves 32 minutes for another 4.

There are 40 minutes available for a 5. If Georgi and Kofi each gets 24 minutes there are only 8 minutes when both would be on the court. Put another way,, Georgi would be on the court for 16 minutes without another post player, assuming Samba is not contributing. That leaves 32 minutes for another 4.

There will be 80 minutes for the 4 and 5 position. Giorgi takes 26 minutes, Kofi takes another 20. You still have 34 minutes for two PF/C types (Hollyfield?, Samba, January). I don't see us playing wings and guards at the PF position. We lost that battle to many times going against bigger players both on defense and offense.

Well, there have been a lot of storms in that area recently.

sacraig

The desert
Maybe Christian Brown is going to de-commit and visit Champaign.

I thought maybe Bill Self was leaving Kansas to be on Underwood's staff because he doesn't like to leave a job unfinished.

ILFaninFL

Nature Coast in Florida
I thought maybe Bill Self was leaving Kansas to be on Underwood's staff because he doesn't like to leave a job unfinished.

Perfect Storm: Self to the Bulls, Calipari to UCLA giving the beloved Snacks as an assistant and Whitney needing a new home ...

Yeah man it is crazy to give up on Samba. Let me remind folks that Egwu averaged 1.9ppg, 0.6 bpg, 1.5 rpg. All with 10 minutes per game. I dont even think Kane has scratched the surface of what he will be in a couple years.

Egwu also had to play behind a lottery pick. Leonard played 32 mpg that season.

Giorgi was awesome, but only played 26 mpg due to foul trouble. Adonis was arguably the worst big man in the conference. If Samba can't get playing time this season then I find it very hard to see him getting significant time over an improved Giorgi, Kofi, and hopefully a PF/C grad transfer who is better than Adonis.

Good a place as any for me to voice a concern. Neither Giorgi nor inexperienced Kofi are capable/dependable/effective shooters more than 10 ft. from the basket. Both are very good shooters/scorers inside that distance. I really see both of them as 5 type players with few offensive skills of a truly effective 4 type player....which many seem to be relegating as Giorgi's future. To, me, they are both 4.875 positional players, or in effect....it really does not matter. Both will be scoring inside and defending as such. Giorgi is far more capable of defending a forward who can shoot from the perimeter, so he would get the 4 spot by default in regards to defense. I see some adjustments in BU's offense to utilize both players and their offensive skillsets. Kofi will offer new skills on both ends, but he is still an inexperienced freshman who is seemingly out of shape as of now and will get schooled on the defensive end at times until he learns to play all out....and I sure pray that he is willing to do just that. January and even Kane should be able to give the two starters breathers to make all out effort possible....and I hope we see both on the roster next year with Kane working hard to get on the floor....and Underwood willing to play him.

Anyone have any information on what type of player Anthony Higgs is? Did he practice this year with the team and if so how did he do? He obviously has some bulk but I haven't heard much of anything about how he looks on the practice court. Assuming he stays he would be another 4 to consider.

Higgs will never step on the court at SFC as a player. Since getting on campus it's been discovered that he has epilepsy and his siezures have gotten worse so at this time it looks like his playing days are over before they ever started.

Egwu also had to play behind a lottery pick. Leonard played 32 mpg that season.

Giorgi was awesome, but only played 26 mpg due to foul trouble. Adonis was arguably the worst big man in the conference. If Samba can't get playing time this season then I find it very hard to see him getting significant time over an improved Giorgi, Kofi, and hopefully a PF/C grad transfer who is better than Adonis.
Doesn't have to get time over them. As previously noted plenty of time relieving them. Need him or Antwan to step up to cover those minutes. Last year Giorgi could only dribble around cones, this year can't shoot from beyond ten feet.

Deleted member 4960

D
Doesn't have to get time over them. As previously noted plenty of time relieving them. Need him or Antwan to step up to cover those minutes. Last year Giorgi could only dribble around cones, this year can't shoot from beyond ten feet.
I think his shot will improve over the summer where he can make people honor his outside shot and make him that more effective.

Higgs will never step on the court at SFC as a player. Since getting on campus it's been discovered that he has epilepsy and his siezures have gotten worse so at this time it looks like his playing days are over before they ever started.

Hope he gets whatever help he needs to mitigate it. Did not know he was having medical issues that jeopardized his basketball career.

Status
Not open for further replies.